LegacyGT.com

Maintenance Question - how important are 30/60/90 and more...

Hi,

I just recently purchased an 05 LGT w/ 31,000 miles.

The previous owner has maintenance records up to 29k miles. I'm not sure if the 30k service was performed or not. An oil change was definitely performed, though, because the sticker is on the windshield.

My main concern is that I keep my warranty valid (up to 60k miles).

My question is this - for many of the "inspect" and other issues, can it be done by yourself, or are we required to see an authorized dealer?

Here's a breakdown of the 30k maintenance:

Recommended Inspection Fuel systems, lines and connections Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft] Inspect Camshaft drive belt

Replace Engine oil

Replace Engine oil filter

Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections

Replace Air cleaner element Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)

Inspect Automatic transmission fluid Replace Brake fluid Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions

Inspect Brake linings and drums

Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system

Inspect Clutch operation

Inspect Steering and suspension

Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

The oil/oil filter has obviously been changed, but I'm not sure about the rest.

I really don't want to pay a dealer $500 to just "INSPECT" the car for 15min and really do nothing at all.

What is my best option for making sure that maintenance is done properly and I keep my warranty in tact? As you can see, only the bolded items actually involve any real work.

Auto or manual? I flushed my auto and also replaced the automatic transmission filter. It's an easy to do item and helps, you'd get rid of any shavings and other microscopic particles from the break-in period. Tranny has been shifting smoother and easier :)

I took my LGT to a shop that I trust, they did all the work and charged me considerably less. Your warranty can't be voided just because you went to another shop instead of the dealer.

As far as the 60 and 90K services, definitely keep up with them. At 60K don't forget to change your spark plugs and turbo banjo bolts.

Auto or manual? I flushed my auto and also replaced the automatic transmission filter. It's an easy to do item and helps, you'd get rid of any shavings and other microscopic particles from the break-in period. Tranny has been shifting smoother and easier :)

I took my LGT to a shop that I trust, they did all the work and charged me considerably less. Your warranty can't be voided just because you went to another shop instead of the dealer.

As far as the 60 and 90K services, definitely keep up with them. At 60K don't forget to change your spark plugs and turbo banjo bolts.

5EAT - oddly , flushing the transmission fluid/filter isn't even in the service schedule. Just engine coolant.

You are correct, tranny isn't on the schedule. Use your best judgment, inspect the fluid. I flushed mine as a good measure, I like to blow money like that as I am a rich bastard that pulls in 6 figures a week. Not really.

Pretty sure the previous owner didn't perform the maintenance. If I knew I was getting rid of the car, sure as heck wouldn't.

If something goes wrong with the car due to a service not performed, they will deny the warranty. But, if you look over the list, I can't see anything overly critical. 30K isn't bad, 60K is something else. Spark plugs ain't cheap.

My thoughts? When in doubt, perform the service.

OT:

hey fishbone, i thought the banjo bolt was supposed to be replaced 30k? I vaguely recall the TSB saying something along the lines of "if driven under extreme conditions..(etc blah blah)" - or was it to 'inspect' the banjo bolt at 30k?

(TSB here: http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Info_SubaruOil)

Either way, the places I got estimates from at 30k did not mention anything about the banjo bolt. just curious if it's 60k or 30k as the TSB does not really specify.... (and i want to deter all possible ways of oil starvation)

thanks!

brian

I think the service bulletin called for an inspection and possible replacement if the vehicle has been driven under unknown conditions. The banjo bolt seems to be an issue especially on long oil change intervals. Up to you if you wanna do it at 30K, I guess what I know doesn't really call for it being done but I could very well be wrong. Since it's fairly inexpensive, it can't hurt. Blown turbos have been reported at 20,30,40K miles also but I guess we never really had any concrete and direct evidence the banjo was at fault. There is a banjo bolt thread, look over it and see.

I have two bolts sitting at my shop waiting to be installed whenever I have time to go in for it. My car is at right about 55K miles.

Archived