LegacyGT.com

lowering my second gen

I was thinking about lowering my 1998 liberty but i'm not sure if i should go with coil overs or air suspension.

I was just hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction or maybe give me some ideas.

Thanks

What are your plans? Most air ride systems will not give you the handling like a coilover but they do ride super nice and you can raise and lower on the fly. You could also install some metal blocks then while your driving lower the rear and get cool sparks. LOL. Also they do make a performance air ride for the 02-07 WRX so that another option. The huge downfall with coilovers is the harsh ride and most people who buy a set sell them about a year later. I would find a friend who has them and take a ride to see if you like them. I don't like CO for the street they suck.

I have a set of HKS coilovers on my Supra and they are a tad harsh but they're way better than some of the cheaper sets I've ridden in. Buy a better set don't get the cheapest cuz you'll end up hating them or they'll break.

Uhhhhh Raceland coils....

Duh

They are $370 to $400 depending which setup you want. Ask anyone who has a set for a DD... They love them. I've ridden in / drove a few different cars with these coils and I have to say that they blend comfort and performance extremely well. Annnnnd I've not heard of any Subaru sets failing, and people have had them for years.

The responses I see on this forum sometimes... Yeesh.

EDIT:

lol they are $470 to $500. Typo. My bad.

I just put raceland ultimos on. $500 to my door. Tad stiffer then stock but height adjustment is easy and the car handles way better now vs stock. I have only been running them for a few days now but from what I have felt and seen so far I don't expect to have any issues with them at all. Build quality looks really good and the 2 year warranty on them is a nice peace of mind if they do end up failing.

Well this is what I was gonna say next, the racelands..

But when this gentlemen says he wanted to put air ride in, I was assuming his cheaper ballpark may have been higher than you or I. If he was tossed up between coils and air, 950 is nothing comparative to air systems..

Now of course 500 is alot better, just wasn't sure how cheap he wanted to go...

Personally id have ultimos on if I could afford them.

I just put raceland ultimos on. $500 to my door. Tad stiffer then stock but height adjustment is easy and the car handles way better now vs stock. I have only been running them for a few days now but from what I have felt and seen so far I don't expect to have any issues with them at all. Build quality looks really good and the 2 year warranty on them is a nice peace of mind if they do end up failing.

Do we use the WRX coilovers for our second gen Legacys? Didn't see any specific to our application on their web site. I'm debating on coil overs vs a conventional strut setup for my wagon. Price wise, they're about the same.

What I haven't read here is the concern for running wider rubber. I mean, when I put on the 245 wide tires the only reason they wouldn't fit is because of the spring perch. I had to end up going 235 and add a 5mm spacer just to get that bad boy on there!

Had I been running coilsovers on that Legacy sedan the 245's would have slid right in. I really want the 245's to go on someday..

Do we use the WRX coilovers for our second gen Legacys? Didn't see any specific to our application on their web site. I'm debating on coil overs vs a conventional strut setup for my wagon. Price wise, they're about the same.

Yup. If at all possible the best option would be GC fronts and GD rears. A call to raceland would tell you if they can even do that. I ordered the wrx ones and they bolt right in the but the front top hat is turned slightly so the camber and caster will both adjust if you move it.

• 9 months later...
do the GC fronts camber line up and work correctly/ better than the GD fronts? why are the GD rears a better choice than the GC rears? whats different besides the spring rate? the GC are like 35 less, but still like 90 over stock. im buying some tonight, i just havent figured out why i need the GD over the GC set. its only 40 bucks difference, but if the GC work better for alignment purposes, id live with the lower spring rates overall.

do the GC fronts camber line up and work correctly/ better than the GD fronts? why are the GD rears a better choice than the GC rears? whats different besides the spring rate? the GC are like 35 less, but still like 90 over stock. im buying some tonight, i just havent figured out why i need the GD over the GC set. its only 40 bucks difference, but if the GC work better for alignment purposes, id live with the lower spring rates overall.

GC rears will not fit. Don't order that set. The bolts dont line up right. I bought a GC rear sway for my wagon and couldn't install it. GD is what you want for rears. If you can't split the sets get the WRX ones, like I have said, they work fine and have been in my car for almost a year now with zero issues.

^ me too, bags are dope, I just installed a set on a 2012 cts coupe the air lift v2 can tracked even. I am seriously thinking the other way about air ride, always thought a static drop was the way to go but the products and management have gotten so good in the past ten years even.

Archived