LegacyGT.com

Lowered OBXT Pics

citka

Some people have been asking questions about how lowered OB's look given the 'Body Spacers' they come with.

Below are before and after shots of an OBXT lowered with Swift Springs on LGT spec Tokico Adjustables. I did nothing with the body spacers...left them in there. It has 1/2" saggy butt spacers on it. I had to replace the OB sized tires that were on it in the "Stock" picture and replace them with LGT stock size. My speedo is off now, but the LGT tires eliminated the tire rub in the front wheel wells when I turned corners or went over a bump to quickly.

Stock OBXT suspension

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n402/citka4/Stock9.jpg

Lowered on Tokico's & Swifts with 1/2" Saggy Butt Spacers

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n402/citka4/Lowered3.jpg

All in all I'm happy with the car. The speedo & odometer being off bugs me, but I'll find a way to work that out.

You should be able to replace the OB ABS rings with LGT rings, and that should clear up the speedometer issue.

Probably.

I haven't really looked into it.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The ABS ring is cast into the hub portion of the CV, which basically means you have to replace the entire CV assembly to replace the ring. I found ou the hard way last year.

Front AND rear?

Good to know. That's a bit of a troublesome swap then. Especially the rear, because that means you HAVE to buy new front axles and change your tire size if you want to do a 6-speed swap into an Outback. That tacks on considerably more money, but is a good excuse to do a 6-speed swap when you need new tires.

That kind of sucks.

I guess if I ever go to a 6-speed, I'll be forced to pick up a set of 245/40/17's to go with them...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

OMGAPPLESAUCE, that is HOT!!!

Can we talk about that rubbing issue now? Where does it rub? In the inside? I just bought 18"x8" wheels for my outback and I'm planning on putting 225/45/18 tires on them. I already have the LGT hardware for the swap but I have not done it yet. I already lowered one Outback but that also has LGT spec tires. So, where does it exactly rub? Inside or outside?

Edit: My LGT has tein h-techs on it now, I planned on putting those on my Outback if I don't sell them with the car.

Edit # 2: The offset on the wheels are +47 just one mm less than the stock wheel.

I thought about lowering my OBXT also but then, its an OB for a reason and I like the sleeper look.

I'm lowering mine and changing the tire size so it wont feel like i'm driving a boat down the road. :lol:

Are the ABS rings really different on the OB vs the Legacy? I have no basis for this, but it would seem to me the "pick up's" on the ring (the bumps the sensor magnetically reads) would be the same for OB vs. LGT. It would only be how the ECM interprets the number of pulses per second that the sensor reads from the rings. I’d think it would be a software thing, not a hardware thing. The fact the LGT/OB's don't have an old school VSS makes it hard to adjust for changes to rolling diameter. I’d love if someone more knowledgeable than I would weigh in with some truth. That is much easier of a solution then what I’m considering.

LGTFTW - Regarding rubbing. I had two different kinds of rub. The first was when I went over a bump too quickly or entered a dip in a driveway too quickly. The second was when I turned too sharply. I suspect they were rubbing in the same place though. I know that when I turned too sharply (for this discussion, turning right) the outside shoulder of the driver side tire was rubbing on the forward part of the wheel well, right behind there the battery sits. I actually put a bolt through the wheel well plastic with a big fender washer and tightened it down to pull the plastic further forward, but it only lessened the problem, not eliminated it.

I REALLY liked the look of the OB spec tires on it because it filled the wheel wells better. But it's not worth the rub. I'm thinking my summer tires will be a happy medium between LGT spec and OB spec. I'm going try out a couple of different sizes and see what I can come up with.

I think it's a hardware thing, not a software thing. I never really thought about it though.

Thanks for the info, citka, it really helps and it takes a load off my shoulders.

I already got these wheels and I'm planning on putting on the 225/45/18 to keep it pretty close to the stock diameter.

OK LGT community, time to find a solution for this problem.

I propose heat gun and pushing the plastic up where it rubs or cutting out that section where it rubs and but I'm really leaning towards the heat gun. What say you?

You should be able to replace the OB ABS rings with LGT rings, and that should clear up the speedometer issue.

Probably.

I haven't really looked into it.

I think the speed sensor is in the transmission. In fact I'm 99% sure that it is in the transmission.

The vss is in the ABS assembly and not the transmission. I have a lowered obxt with lgt spec tires as well and my speedo is off. I have not found a solution yet and also am unsure about the ABS rings, but my intuition tells me its an ecu issue, not a mechanical one.

I have a 5EAT and have been looking extensively into a 5/6mt swap. It has been done on here already with no mention or hookup of a vss anywhere in the transmission assembly. If someone can yank their 5EAT, drop in a 5MT and only loose cruise control with full functionality of the speedometer this proves the vss is not in the transmission. The people who have done the 5eat=>mt swap simply yank the tcu and wire up the neutral safety switch and reverse lights separately.

If it were an ECU issue, then it would be fixable by a reflash. As far as I know, no one has.

I think the speed sensor is in the transmission. In fact I'm 99% sure that it is in the transmission.

Nope.

There is a scroll on the 3-4 cluster. The speedometer gear rides on it and in the old cars spun a cable that plugged directly into the gauge cluster. The newer cars swapped to a digital speedo where the scroll spun a hall effect sensor.

The scroll gear has to match the 3-4 cluster. Wrong speedo gear will get shreded.

The LGT trans does have that scroll. It does not, though, have a speed sensor.

Looking in the FSM, under "speedometer does not work" the repair order is to check the ABS and VDC control modules, the harness, and the combination meter.

Looking at the combination meter, the only thing going to the speedometer is outputs from both of those CM's. If there is no VDC, the only module the speedo is based off of is the ABS one.

Further, there are just two harnesses bolting to the transmission. The neutral and reverse harnesses. The plug for the speedo is actually still there, but is plugged rather than filled with a sensor. There is still a scroll on the 3-4 cluster.

BAC5.2 - I have to admit, you lost me. Are you suggesting the only way to correct the speedo readout is to replace either the ABS Control module with an LGT one, or the VDC Module with an LGT version?

BAC5.2 - I have to admit, you lost me. Are you suggesting the only way to correct the speedo readout is to replace either the ABS Control module with an LGT one, or the VDC Module with an LGT version?

No. I think you can swap the ABS rings or the axles. But I'm not sure.

I think but I'm not positive that it depends if your car is a CAN Bus or a regular OBDII car.

We swapped in a 6MT for a 5MT on an 05 OBXT for a customer last year. The Cruise control wouldn't work until we swapped out the VSS inside the trans.

-mike

Archived