LegacyGT.com

low oil level sensor product

so,, yea

oil level sensor with bung that you can weld into your oil pan. $$

and total new oil pan with bung and sensor and harness. $$$

new oem oil pan is about 100$ sensor 16$ bung ~60$ pigtail about 20$

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I think its a great option. Is there a way to tap it into the low fuel light? Would we need just an LED for it to go too? How would we know where to drill and tap the oil pan? Does it go directly in the bottom or the pan or slightly up the side? I think most people would be interested in a finished product since, we are not all engineers or have welders

I'd be interested as well. I still can't believe we have a performance engine and yet, no such a feature :mad:. And we even use an oil pressure switch instead of a real oil pressure gauge, just to let us know whether or not our engine is dead :rolleyes:!

this one would go into the side of the oil pan you will need a bung that will have threads machined in it for the sensor its self.

and yes you can connect it to your oil light, i just hope its not reverse logic where the light being on means there is enough oil. so a relay may be needed.

I'd be interested as well. I still can't believe we have a performance engine and yet, no such a feature :mad:. And we even use an oil pressure switch instead of a real oil pressure gauge, just to let us know whether or not our engine is dead :rolleyes:!

It's pretty common not to have a 'level' indicator but instead a pressure. I'm not aware of many 'performance' cars that have level indicator.

Are you?

OP - this is a nice idea, I'm not sure it's really required unless you're consuming more than 1qt/fill up.

It's pretty common not to have a 'level' indicator but instead a pressure. I'm not aware of many 'performance' cars that have level indicator.

Are you?

Well, last year I went along with some friends in their French Renault Scenic, a family car, sporting a 1.9 diesel engine; I happened to glance at their cluster gauge and to my amazement, saw this:

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/11/17/94/12/10336110.jpg

I was like, what the??

Well, last year I went along with some friends in their French Renault Scenic, a family car, sporting a 1.9 diesel engine; I happened to glance at their cluster gauge and to my amazement, saw this:

http://i47.servimg.com/u/f47/11/17/94/12/10336110.jpg

I was like, what the??

Am I missing something?

I see a coolant, rpm, fuel etc but what's the oil level you speak of?

Am I missing something?

I see a coolant, rpm, fuel etc but what's the oil level you speak of?

No, you're not missing anything. I messed up :redface:. For some reasons, I mistook the coolant icon with the oil one, go figure... However, I did some research and found out that this French car does indeed have some kind of 'oil level checker': each time the car is started, the 'welcome screen' tells you if your oil level is OK.

It's called a dip stick, you pull it out look at the level. Fill if necessary. No welding,wiring, or sensors!

insurance..........

Are you?

OP - this is a nice idea, I'm not sure it's really required unless you're consuming more than 1qt/fill up.

i would say its the opposite its for cars that don't consume oil so the owners are not in the habit of checking it.

the level indicator is a single switch , i would install it at the add level of the dipstick. so when your oil level falls below the add mark the light will come on.

i know new Mercedes cars have a oil level system that is displayed on the dashboard. but i thought that would be much more costly.

if anyone knows of a reasonably priced oil level senor let me know !

I think its best to be simple with it. People in general should still check there oil level, but its best to have a failsafe. There could be something come up for a sudden consumption (pcv issue, or turbo starting to fail for example) so even someone that checks there level frequently would be saving themselves a new SB

Archived