LegacyGT.com

Looking for Timing Belt and Water Pump Kit Recommendations

I'm looking for a complete kit that includes the timing belt, tensioner, tensioners, water pump and necessary gaskets. I couldn't find a complete kit over the net and I'm wondering if anyone know of complete kits for sale.

This is for a 98 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5L DOHC.

The EJ25D seems to be very picky when it comes to gaskets. I would suggest oem only on the gaskets.

If it was an EJ22 I would not have this reservation about E bay gasket kits (which I use).

If the kit is cheap enough I'd buy it anyway and chuck their gaskets.

O.

Does the ej25 have a problem with water pump gaskets? .

No problems, just prefer to use the oem metal vs the cork fel-pro.

It's not the timing kits, it's the HG kits that are the issue

O.

I have on '05 and I too am going to be replacing the same items soon. (Also at 97K) I am weary about ebay stuff so i am looking at forum vendors. who gave the best price for this stuff?

edit: just realized i am in the wrong section, but i guess the question still applies...

I had around 40k miles on my ebay kit on my wrx before I sold it, and about 25k and still going on my 97lgt. Ebay has decent stuff, seriously. I buy alot of quality stuff on there. Just make sure you thoroughly read through the description or you can end up with some junk because only one word in there can fool you and make a sell for some asshole.

I got a kit from mizumo auto. They were helpful and upgraded me to a better water pump (GMB). I paid around $115.

Although my engine is running fine with their kit, the old belt (also not OEM) was quite a bit thinner than their replacement belt. My old belt did not exhibit the recommended tooth count and the thicker replacement belt had a different tooth count. In the end, the cam pulleys were aligned properly, and I also replaced the tensioner (which will cost you another $120 or so). As far as tensioners go, my original tensioner is less prone to failure than some of the new ones so I kept it.

The only thing that bugs me (constantly...:mad:) is the sound of the replacement timing belt. I can hear it. I couldn't hear the old one. So now I always wonder if I did the right thing. The engine runs better, but that could be because I aligned the pulleys.

My advice would be to get a Gates or OEM belt. If you are planning on replacing the belt/pulleys every 60k, then get the ebay pulleys. If you get an OEM belt, then you don't have to worry if you made the right choice for 60k.

I have a sort of frankenmotor.

DOHC block I believe, with 96' HLA heads, and 98' cams within it.

Does anyone know which kit I should get for my headgaskets? I see different part numbers from Gates depending on the year....

I got a kit from mizumo auto. They were helpful and upgraded me to a better water pump (GMB). I paid around $115.

Although my engine is running fine with their kit, the old belt (also not OEM) was quite a bit thinner than their replacement belt. My old belt did not exhibit the recommended tooth count and the thicker replacement belt had a different tooth count. In the end, the cam pulleys were aligned properly, and I also replaced the tensioner (which will cost you another $120 or so). As far as tensioners go, my original tensioner is less prone to failure than some of the new ones so I kept it.

The only thing that bugs me (constantly...:mad:) is the sound of the replacement timing belt. I can hear it. I couldn't hear the old one. So now I always wonder if I did the right thing. The engine runs better, but that could be because I aligned the pulleys.

My advice would be to get a Gates or OEM belt. If you are planning on replacing the belt/pulleys every 60k, then get the ebay pulleys. If you get an OEM belt, then you don't have to worry if you made the right choice for 60k.

Did your replacement timing belt make a squeeling noise?

E bay t belt kits are fine, though there are only two vendors there that I have dealt with or others. They are theimportexperts and mizumoto.

Gates stuff is great and if you don't mind the premium cost, go for it.

BTW the t belt change interval is now 100K. But change all the idlers and pump at the same time.

O.

I was going to get the Gates timing kit with water pump, but I get a different part number between the 96 and 98 years when I use that Amazon link from the first page...is there really much of a difference between the kits? Or should I just be safe buying for a 98 2.5GT motor?

Did your replacement timing belt make a squeeling noise?

No, not at all. It is just a high pitched whirring noise or a higher frequency overtone. I am almost used to it. You can't really hear it when you are driving fast on the freeway, or if the stereo is on low volume. It's not bad enough to make me want to replace it. At first I wondered if the noise was occurring because I put synthetic gear oil in my 5MT and it was just operating better.

Archived