LegacyGT.com

Looking for strut replacement/upgrade

smllegacy

Hi-

First post here.

We have an '05 Legacy GT with 80K on it and I feel that the struts are just worn out. I don't drive this car much but everytime I do it's very apparent that the strusts need replacing.

In reading the sticky below...

---------------------------------

JDM SpecB Rev.C

This is the current JDM 2.0 SpecB and JDM 3.0R SpecB, present on Rev.D cars. Bit less aggressive than Rev.B, yet still excellent handling and great ride. This is my favorite Bilstein setup so far for a street car - I think they really got this one "perfect".

Part numbers: 20310AG420 (front right), 20310AG430 (front left), 20365AG270 (rear)................

What are the JDM tophats?

JDM cars use different front top hats (mounts). The USDM top hats cannot be used on JDM OEM Bilsteins (or other struts like Ohlins, Tokicos, Bilsteis HDs) - the USDM top hat has taller bearing and the threaded portion of the strut rod is too short and will not allow for safe installation. Pictures that compare JDM and USDM top hats are located here.

By the way, JDM top hats are beefier, the bearing in them is huge compared to USDM one. Thet are much stiffer, help steering response and contribute and to the "road feel" - there is much less play in the top hat. USDM top hat is very rubbery and clearly designed for comfy ride.

The JDM and USDM names are customary - JDM top hats refer to top hats used on Bilsteins, including Bilsteins on USDM Legacy SpecB. USDM top hats are used on some JDM cars, not sure which but are used on some Outbacks. Note, interestingly AusDM 2.0i or 2.5i cars seem to use JDM top hats on KYB struts. .......................

I want to install Bilsteins, what parts do I need?

For the front you need JDM top hats, corresponding dust caps (seals) and front spring upper perch/seats. Some people used stock USDM GT front perch/seat, but since they look bit different and have different part number I recommend using the Bilstein specific one. Also, the dust boots are different in front. For the rear you can use the stock top hat and spring seat.

Of course you also need some sort of JDM GT/SpecB specific springs like STI Pinks, Swifts, R-SR, Wangans, Teins or Provas, etc.

Part numbers (available from US dealers):

20320AG000 - front top hat (strut mount), 2 needed -

20326AG000 - front top hat dust cap (dust seal), 2 needed

20323AG000 - front spring seat/perch, 2 needed.

20322AG010 - front dust boots, 2 needed.

-------------------------

It sounds like the latest Spec B might be the best choice for a DD with a slight upgrade to the original setup.

Is this correct?

Also EXACTLY what parts are needed and where can I source them.

Thanks for helping a newby :)

Eddie

My recommendation would be to find a set of low-mileage USDM Spec B take-off struts (fully assembled) and just swap those in for your current setup. You gain immediate Bilstein strut technology, with stock springs setup for them. If you're looking for more ride control, then upgrade the Spec B struts to one of the aftermarket springs like Swift, STI Pinks, RSR, Rallitek, Cobb, etc.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived