LegacyGT.com

Looking to buy an 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited wagon

Hey everyone, new to the forum and I am looking to buy my first Subaru, I had a couple questions. The car I am looking to buy is a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited wagon. It has 92,896 on the clock, one owner and was traded into a dealership. Car-fax looks clean, and the dealership wants $9,990 for the car. What do you guys think killer deal? Or pass and find something better? The car looks clean but have not seen it in person yet.

Anything I need to look for or watch out for with a car this high in miles?

Any help would be great

Ryan

Depends. That's a lot of miles and depends how the car was driven. Turbo may be at its life end. Suspension if original is pretty much shot at this point (stock suspension when new is already junk, so it's not going to be better after 90k+ miles).

Get the car checked, I'd particularly recommend compression and leakdown test. If engine checks fine, and the car didn't have bodywork for the money you won't go wrong. You can always replace turbo in advance as a preventive measure. Also at 105k new timing belt is due.

Yeah do the compression/leakdown, make sure it's got a present inspection sticker (or will pass), check CarFax... all the due diligence stuff. Mileage, I agree, may or may not be a concern. Could have been a business commuter like mine was (84K mi. at purchase, last month).

Thanks for the help guys; I’ll get that stuff done by an independent shop. You guys put my mind at ease about this car. The mileage scared me. If you think of anything else I should check out let me know.

... I just thought of a question would this car be under warranty or what’s the warranty for these cars?

FYI I have an 05 wagon with 100k on it. all on open road. stock rotors, suspension and original turbo. No issues here at all. suspension still holding up fine and the turbo looked good at the when I had the clutch replaced.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

where do you live? FWIW, I saw an 05 wagon GT 5eat for sale at Matria Subaru in Raynham, MA ...i think it had like 50k-ish on it...

just found it...about $4k more, but about half the mileage... (you could talk them down at LEAST 1k I'm sure. I got my 05 from there for $1500 less than listed on their website. that car has been there for a couple months, i remember seeing it awhile ago)

http://mastriasubaru.cms.dealer.com/used-inventory/vehicle-details.htm?vehicleId=534e960a4046381e00f6e15ef23c2912&useHistory=true

Archived