LegacyGT.com

Look at what UPS brought me.

doogdog

I can't wait to install them, have to wait to find a decent mounting system for the gauges. I'm leaning towards the Perrin mouse ears.

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTAxNTA5MzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Rick

jedi,

That's just the required control-box module, the remote integrates features - unlike the DEFI, the remote is used to control functions, allowing us NEXUS users to literally "bury the box."

----

Rick,

Where are you, brother? If you're in the Cleveland area, we could do a "twin install" :D My boost gauge is finally going on, LOL.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

jedi,

That's just the required control-box module, the remote integrates features - unlike the DEFI, the remote is used to control functions, allowing us NEXUS users to literally "bury the box."

----

Rick,

Where are you, brother? If you're in the Cleveland area, we could do a "twin install" :D My boost gauge is finally going on, LOL.

-A

I'm in MA, not too close to Clevlend. I'll post pics of the install when it's done. The hardest thing looks like finding a place to mount the boost signal box under the hood. There are very specific instructions on the way to mount it according to AM. Wiring the control box looks like a breeze. I have decided to go with the Perrin mount, I think it will bee painted black though.

Rick

Curious as to what you paid for those? and which gauges are they? I have seen the boost as low as 186.83 plus shipping...and as high as 249.99 with free shipping. A link to the site, perhaps?

TIA

$603 for all three shipped.

Rick

603 for all 3 shipped????????

Hmmmm almost close to the JDM factory ones with mount:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15992&page=1&pp=10

Which ones now????

Your thoughts??

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I got them from World One Performance, these gauges are extremely difficult to come by. If some of you haven't seen the flash animation on the Autometer Nexus series, here it is.

http://hp.autometer.com/products/nexus/index.html

The moment I saw it I NEEDED to have these gauges, especially that they will pretty closely match the LGT interior.

Rick

$603?!

That's not much of a bang for the buck for me, I'll get more data from the HKS CAMP. Do you have an idea where you plan to hook up all these gauges?

Keefe

I plan on using the mouse ears and only having the boost and EGT. I did the Nexus mostly for estetical reasons. I like the way they match the factory and the warning feature. I will hide the control unit in the dash and the remote will go in the glove box.

Rick

AWESOME!

These are definitely the best gauges to get. They look as close to our stock gauges as anything on the market.

Now im jealous.

They even do the full sweep like the stock gauges.. and blink solid red when the gauge exceeds a limit that you set.

pure bliss.

-Tronix(gimme)GT

nexus1.jpg.1432680868fcbddb0d8a2e6489ec0e37.jpg

nexus2.jpg.1c2deff6ce99dec76c12c11c071670a4.jpg

for more pics and info... http://angevine.org/legacy/legacy.html

They do look nice.....I bet they add at least 40-50 @ the crank!

They add nothing, they just let me know how much boost and how high my EGT's are from straining from the extra weight from all my stereo bits...

Rick

After watching the video and seeing what they do (programming perf data recording etc) its really not that expensive for what it does.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Rick,

LOL, yeah, MA is a bit far to travel for a "twin install day." :lol:

It was such a beautiful day out yesterday afternoon that I ended up doing the install of my NEXUS boost gauge.

I didn't go with more gauges simply as I plan to keep this car at AP Stage II (planned for this late fall or early winter). My TSi looked like the cockpit of the Space Shuttle at one point, and I think that already, with an X50 (tucked "behind" the rearview), ZR3 (colunm, right behind the parking-lights switch), and the boost gauge (left lower corner A-pillar) is starting to seem cluttered and less "under the radar" than I liked for Winky's rather grown up look. If I were to fund additional gauges, they'd definitely go in the cubby or glovebox. I guess at some point, oil pressure, EGT, and a wide-band A/F would be nice (I've already got voltmeter taken care of by the display on my radar detector), but at Cobb Stage II, I don't think that they're imperative.

In any case, getting back on-track....

All/Rick, the NEXUS may be harder to source from "smaller" retailers in the tuner community as there's a strong "snob preference" for DEFI, but larger retailers and shops catering slightly more to domestics, such as Summit Racing, have a butt-load of stock for respectable prices. I literally walked in to Summit in Tallmadge, Ohio (see, there *is* good to have come from living in Cleveland! ;)) one afternoon, and walked right out with my control module and the boost gauge in-hand.

My initial purchase decision wavered towards the DEFI gauges, but I chose the AutoMeters as I've had good experience with the make, including honoring warranty/returns - and since their retailer is "local," making "I want to exchange this unit for a working one" all that much easier (Summit Racing is awesome about customer service, BTW), it was a no-brainer.

Functionally, I like "seeing" boost - it keeps me out of trouble. ;) Aesthetically, though, this presented a problem, as I did not like the idea of blocking the dash idiot-lights or odo/trip-meter, and as I did not like the looks of the various single-gauge pods available. I eventually decided to just bite the bullet and get the carbon-fiber Autometer gauge cup, despite the rather bend-me-over cost. Since I didn't want to drill into the dash, I simply mounted the base with Velcro. So far as I can tell from this AM's potholed local commute, no vibration/shaking of the cup. :)

A slight aesthetic flaw I noticed on my unit is that the illumination - which is selectable - of the "white" portion of the dial is somewhat yellower than that of our dash gauges. From looking at various photos, it seems that either the DEFI or brother and fellow Ohioan Tronix's units -from eBay, right?- would be a better match. I've actually decided to turn brightness on the NEXUS down one "notch," and this seems to have helped a bit, although a slight unevenness is still visible to my extremely picky eyes.

And yes, before y'all ask, the "display" on the virtual meter on the AutoMeter site demo does seem to be pure white, and no, this was not what I saw.

Another possibility is that this is daytime artifact from the blacked-out lens. I'll have to review this product at night to finalize my report.

Going from inside-out, I had figured that for the most synchronized start-up sequence, that I would tap dash meter illumination from the interior fusebox. Unfortunately, it seems that the NEXUS unit does not power up as fast as our dash starting-sequence, so there's about a 3-count delay between the dash sequence and sequencing on the NEXUS unit. The same goes for turn-off/"goodbye" sequencing.

I tucked the box behind the OBD II access port.

Wiring, itself, was super-easy - instructions from AutoMeter made it very clear what goes where.

I took about three hours with the install, but that was being EXTREMELY neat with wiring (everything taped, bound, and covered with conduit to match engine compartment) - as well as, what took the MOST time -as Rick suggested- is "fabricating" (and I use this term very loosely, as since I have just come out of apartment-living into a house, I have yet to populate my workshop with any table tools - I simply used my trusty Dremel for this work) a mounting bracket for the boost sender unit within the engine compartment.

I ended up cutting a piece of aluminum and bending to-shape, mounting to the "black support-bracket" (sorry, I don't have access to my LGT service manual here at work, so I'm forced to make-up a name for this part) by the driver's side shock tower. The tap was placed according to hogdeee's method:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=137200&postcount=6

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I finished my gauges doogdog... If you want any help this weekend I'll be around!

-Mark

What do you have on yours Mark???

Btw, are you joining us for Aug, 07th mtg???

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived