LegacyGT.com

How long did your original Boost Buddy live?

How long did your original turbo last?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How long did your original turbo last?

• 100,000+
    • Still Original!

Ok I know there have been countless threads about turbo's being blown, how to fix the problem blah blah. BUT I don't think there has been one like this one that I have found. I just got my 05 LGT 5EAT a couple weeks ago and put about 400 miles on it. Bought it with 87,000 on the ODO. But every time I drive it I just get so afraid that I'm going to blow my turbo. I have read countless threads about peoples turbos being blown. But like we say, no one posts about how good their turbo has been and how many miles they currently have.

So I'm making a POLL thread. How long has your original turbo lasted, and if your still running it, vote "Still original" and comment how many miles is on your original turbo and mention if your still running the banjo filter and/or catted up-pipe (as I have read those are the main reasons the turbo blows). I Have not removed either of these, and I have the original turbo at 87,400 miles! Thanks for all the help everyone ahead of time!

There is a massive thread on turbo failures and it mostly involves 20005 vintages using the vf40 turbo.

Your 87k LGT is about 10k away from the dreaded lifespan that many hit and get a blown turbo. Some just blow a turbo some blow a turbo and grenade the engine with it.

I am in the same spot as you now. Original owner since feb 05. 122k Kms on it ( which is 76k miles) and I'm looking to swap turbos as a Fail safe precaution.

If it really bothers you, replace (upgrade) it. :D

~70,000 miles on original turbo. Banjo still in there. Catted up pipe still in there. Both to be removed shortly (note banjo will be replaced w/IP&T). Expect to upgrade turbo around 100,000 miles. 05 LGT.

There is a massive thread on turbo failures and it mostly involves 20005 vintages using the vf40 turbo.

Your 87k LGT is about 10k away from the dreaded lifespan that many hit and get a blown turbo. Some just blow a turbo some blow a turbo and grenade the engine with it.

I am in the same spot as you now. Original owner since feb 05. 122k Kms on it ( which is 76k miles) and I'm looking to swap turbos as a Fail safe precaution.

Is there a chance that my turbo will be just fine if I replace the cat pipe and make sure my filter is clean/remove the filter? Or do they just not last that long regardless?

Still original at 101k. Catless up-pipe. Went Stage II at 95k. Unless the previous owner did it the banjo filter is still in. I plan to clean it soon, but I won't remove it.

Yeah I want to get a cat-less pipe, and also check and clean my filter as well ASAP

If it really bothers you, replace (upgrade) it. :D

Well thats what I DONT want to do right now, as I just got the car. Lol after the pretty big down payment on it, I dont have the funds to be doing a $2000 upgrade haha

You brought a used car. All used cars requires maintence.

It doesn't matter if YOU want to or not.

I Bought my '97 Lexus SC400 with 180,000 on it 2 years ago, didn't require any maintenance for almost a year, then the radiator needed replacing. Lol buying used cars doesn't mean it needs maintenance as long as its been taken care of.

Two different cars. And the sc doesn't have a turbo to worry about.

I'm speaking in general terms.

If it worries you, pull the down pipe and check for play.

I'm having my mechanic do it when he checks the whole car out before my warranty is up at the dealer. If he finds ANYTHING its getting fixed free lol.

And I'm not too worried about anything on the car besides the turbo at this many miles. Subaru's have great quality products in my opinion lol

Definitely check the banjo bolt filter. Clean or toss it out. It's really a mix opinion here.

And get rid of that catted up pipe.

Use good oil like shell rotella 5w-40 and a consistent oil change interval.

I have no control over drippie.

Definitely check the banjo bolt filter. Clean or toss it out. It's really a mix opinion here.

And get rid of that catted up pipe.

Use good oil like shell rotella 5w-40 and a consistent oil change interval.

Definitely. Also I read up on oil type as well. I will be using Rotella for my first oil change as well. Any opinions on what brand up-pipe to get that fits nicely?

Almost any known up pipe in the market.

Cobb, turboxs, grimmspeed, agency power to name a few.

If I were you, I'd get a solid up pipe instead of a flex one. I've read they tend to leak around the joints.

I have no control over drippie.

Almost any known up pipe in the market.

Cobb, turboxs, grimmspeed, agency power to name a few.

If I were you, I'd get a solid up pipe instead of a flex one. I've read they tend to leak around the joints.

I was looking at the Cobb, looks like a great price. Does it have the flange for the factory O2 sensor?

I was looking at the Cobb, looks like a great price. Does it have the flange for the factory O2 sensor?

It's an EGT sensor, not an O2 sensor and you don't need it. The only purpose of it is to make sure EGTs don't get too high for the cat to handle. Without a cat you obviously don't have to worry about that. You can just unplug the sensor and put a 2.2k ohm resistor in its place to get rid of the CEL

By the way, no the Cobb UP does not have a bung for the EGT sensor.

And I'm not too worried about anything on the car besides the turbo at this many miles. Subaru's have great quality products in my opinion lol

Between the SC400 and the LGT it sure sounds like you are okay driving blown out cars. Subaru, schumbaru. You are pushing 90k miles. LCA bushings are likely shot, struts are worn out, etc, etc.

Between the SC400 and the LGT it sure sounds like you are okay driving blown out cars. Subaru, schumbaru. You are pushing 90k miles. LCA bushings are likely shot, struts are worn out, etc, etc.

Lol The Lex rode and drove perfect. Thing was mint besides a couple light scratches here and there, and the drivers seat had a wear mark but no rips in it. I assure you it wasnt "blown" out. It didnt even leak or burn oil for christ sake lol. Heres a pic just for fun. I miss it, but wanted to try out something new and with less miles. P.S. No record of struts being replaced and didnt ride abnormal and struts were dry, no leakage.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s287/DA_Samurai/Lexus%20SCs/IMG_20110330_110809.jpg

It's an EGT sensor, not an O2 sensor and you don't need it. The only purpose of it is to make sure EGTs don't get too high for the cat to handle. Without a cat you obviously don't have to worry about that. You can just unplug the sensor and put a 2.2k ohm resistor in its place to get rid of the CEL

By the way, no the Cobb UP does not have a bung for the EGT sensor.

How do you go about doing that? Or is there an up-pipe I can get that has the bung for it so I can just use it anyways? lol I'm such a noob when it comes to turbos

How do you go about doing that? Or is there an up-pipe I can get that has the bung for it so I can just use it anyways? lol I'm such a noob when it comes to turbos

you take the resistor and insert it into the plug then cover the plug with e-tape.

as seen here

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-05-06-lgt-2-2k-5w-resistor-up-pipe-131488.html

I'd wager that Lex was not on its first suspension. The OBXT under 60k miles and the struts in the rear are mostly blown out. Dry. No leaking. Does not feel new. Durango blown out at 100k, replaced with Bilstein. The LGT under 60k miles had been driven hard enough that the struts were not only blown out (no leaking, dry, etc) but I had actually POLISHED THE BUMP STOPS to a shiny glassy surface:eek: NOT A JOKE.

You look for my Walkthru.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-05-06-lgt-2-2k-5w-resistor-up-pipe-131488.html?t=131488&highlight=2.2k+resistor+mod

• Mega Users
I'd wager that Lex was not on its first suspension. The OBXT under 60k miles and the struts in the rear are mostly blown out. Dry. No leaking. Does not feel new. Durango blown out at 100k, replaced with Bilstein. The LGT under 60k miles had been driven hard enough that the struts were not only blown out (no leaking, dry, etc) but I had actually POLISHED THE BUMP STOPS to a shiny glassy surface:eek: NOT A JOKE.

dont you have bbk on that durango? in for pics

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Holy hell LOL

Archived