LegacyGT.com

How long did your clutch last?

Recently, my clutch has been slipping under hard acceleration (revs jump when accelerating, but car barely accelerates). I'm at 90,000 miles and still have the stock clutch on my 05 LGT.

How long has your clutch lasted before it had to be changed? And any recommendations on a clutch/flywheel replacement? Besides the clutch and flywheel, what else needs to be replaced?

If you got 90k out of your stock clutch, I suggest another stock clutch just because you obviously did well with it.

You are going to want to get a TSK3 kit (search it) and others have been very happy with ACT setups.

Personally I am running an exedy stage1 setup with a exedy racing LWFW and would not repeat the LWFW for a rush-hour driver. It is fine but not without flaws. It is holding up to my stage 3 power just fine and has been run at the dragstrip.

IMO all 3 of my Legqacy GT's, 98, 00 & 05 the OEM clutch was shoot the first time I backed up in 3+ inches snow.

The OEM clutch is a POS. Go with a aftermarket at least one step up from replacement.

I love my Spec Clutch.

The norm here now seems to be, get a WRX single mass flywheel and a good aftermarket clutch.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Mine held for just south of 35K of daily city-driving combined with the abuse of one person learning to drive stick on her, and, oh, that's right, my slip-launching her about twice a week for the first 25K miles or so. :lol:

Power-wise, I'm your usual "Stage II," nothing special.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

116k through 4 owners. it was down to the rivets when i pulled it off, flywheel and pressure plate were glazed pretty bad. replaced with act hd and wrx single mass flywheel and tsk3k kit.

the clutch is perfect now IMO and is what should come on the car stock

Sounds like the best combo is:

ACT Subaru Legacy GT HD Street Clutch Kit (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/drivetrain-transmission/act-subaru-legacy-gt-clutch-kits.html)

Subaru OEM Single Mass Flywheel (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-oem-single-mass-flywheel.html)

Tranquil Sleeve Kit TSK3 (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tranquil-sleeve-kit-snout-repair-kit-129749.html)

Do I need to get the clutch kit (which comes with the pressure plate)? Or can I just order the clutch (i.e. can I use my current pressure plate)? I've never had a clutch replaced so please bare with my stupid questions :lol:

Also, any vendors you guys suggest I use that may save me some money? I'm in Canada and will probably ship the items to a US address and pick them up and have it all installed here.

I bought my 05 in April of 06, it had 19k miles. I modded it at 36k and have been making right around 400 awhp and 400 ft/lbs since then, on the stock OEM clutch. 62k and I finally ordered an aftermarket replacement as it started slipping a couple weeks ago.

I was pretty damn impressed with the stock unit. I never launch the car, but I do ask it to run down freeway on ramps at full boost from time to time.

As an aside, the wife drives it like she stole it. I'm surprised it didn't start slipping earlier. :)

I'm at 67k here and so far so good, but I think I'm gonna start putting some money aside as I can forsee it coming soon. As for the replacement, howe many did it themselves? And if so, what type of equipment would be needed? I am very mechanically inclined and feel comfortable enough to take on the task, just not sure I have the necessary tools and don't want to get stuck halfway through.

Sounds like the best combo is:

ACT Subaru Legacy GT HD Street Clutch Kit (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/drivetrain-transmission/act-subaru-legacy-gt-clutch-kits.html)

Subaru OEM Single Mass Flywheel (http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-oem-single-mass-flywheel.html)

Tranquil Sleeve Kit TSK3 (http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tranquil-sleeve-kit-snout-repair-kit-129749.html)

Do I need to get the clutch kit (which comes with the pressure plate)? Or can I just order the clutch (i.e. can I use my current pressure plate)? I've never had a clutch replaced so please bare with my stupid questions :lol:

Also, any vendors you guys suggest I use that may save me some money? I'm in Canada and will probably ship the items to a US address and pick them up and have it all installed here.

+1....at least that's what I just had installed and so far I love it after 500 miles......I was able to get 90k out of the stock clutch.

BTW - FBP is having a special for the ACT HD clutch w/SMFW and get the TSK3 free.....perfect timing if you decide to go that route. You might also consider upgrading some of the mounts/bushings while everything is out - I probably went a bit too far for a daily driver but I would at least upgrade the trans mount, rear shifter bushing and tranny x-members.....between the upgraded clutch & mounts/bushings, it feels awesome.

+1....at least that's what I just had installed and so far I love it after 500 miles......I was able to get 90k out of the stock clutch.

BTW - FBP is having a special for the ACT HD clutch w/SMFW and get the TSK3 free.....perfect timing if you decide to go that route. You might also consider upgrading some of the mounts/bushings while everything is out - I probably went a bit too far for a daily driver but I would at least upgrade the trans mount, rear shifter bushing and tranny x-members.....between the upgraded clutch & mounts/bushings, it feels awesome.

Where's the kit on FBP? I can't seem to find it...

75k and it just started slipping. How long is it reasonable to expect to drive it (baby-like) after it starts to slip??

My slipping clutch was driven another 90 days before it had trouble getting up hills and became dangerous.

Don't wait that long.

And +1 to FredBeansParts. That is where I bought my package from.

I had my stocker on there until 82K, I didn't replace it because it was slipping my throwout bearing was F'd up. When looking at the clutch after it was off I am sure I could have gotten another 10K from it. I drive like a grandma and the person who owned my car before me was a grandma.

Archived