LegacyGT.com

Locked out of car

Long story short...driver-side door handle doesn't work from the outside (broken handle...happened a couple of months ago)...now have a dead battery. So, keyfob won't work and the key entry on the driver-side won't work. Is there an easy way to pop the hood so I can charge the battery...or is there an easy way to get in the passenger-side door since we have frameless windows (i.e. coat hanger).

Did a search with no avail.

My Options:

1. Google/Yellow Pages - Locksmith - probably cost you 40 bucks

2. Big Rock - probably cost you more than 40 bucks to replace broken window

3. Coat hanger and 10 minutes of trial and error - free + cost of coat hanger

locked myself out once at work.

1.Went back in

2.Borrowed Sphygmomanometer (Blood Pressure Cuff)

3.Borrowed wire hanger

4.Returned to car

5.Slip cuff into window

6.Inflate

7.Use Hanger to unlock door

Also did this another time at a strip mall. Went and bought a slim curtain rod in the dollar store, luckily I left my moonroof vented. It was too easy, took like 10 seconds. (I don't leave the moonroof vented anymore)

I locked my keys in mine once. I just got a coat hanger and put it through some 1/4" vinyl tubing to protect the window seal. Put the vinyl tubing between the glass and seal, that way it allows you a pathway to slide your coat hanger in and out to grab the handle. Worked pretty well for me probably took about ten minutes of trial and error.

Well if the battery is dead, pressing the unlock button with something stuck through the window or sunroof will not unlock the doors. I have no idea how I would flip the manual lock button on my 2005 with a coat hanger or curtain rod.

I do like the blood pressure cuff idea...very clever.

It is still ugly.

I think I misunderstood you. I presume you slipped the blood pressure cuff between the window and the door. I originally thought you meant between the window and the weatherstripping (attached to the body) at the top or trailing edge of the window by the B pillar.
It is still ugly.

The mechanism is unlocked by pressing it not pulling it...

mines unlocked by pulling the lever back. :confused:

anyways, doing this with a dead battery will do nothing. You'll need to find something stiffer than a coat hanger to be able to turn the locking mechanism. AAA has something that works great (I've seen it once). Might be easier to put a hooked end on a long metal rod you can get for $2 at Menards and pop the hood with it by slipping it in through the window

locked myself out once at work.

1.Went back in

2.Borrowed Sphygmomanometer (Blood Pressure Cuff)

3.Borrowed wire hanger

4.Returned to car

5.Slip cuff into window

6.Inflate

7.Use Hanger to unlock door

Also did this another time at a strip mall. Went and bought a slim curtain rod in the dollar store, luckily I left my moonroof vented. It was too easy, took like 10 seconds. (I don't leave the moonroof vented anymore)

peeenis pump would've been more impressive:hide:

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

mines unlocked by pulling the lever back. :confused:

The LOCK mechanism pushes in to unlock, it's ass backwards if you ask me but that's the way it is.

But OP did say that his handle is broken anyway.

When I did this the car had a good battery, and my door handle works. So may not be so helpful for him.

How do you usually get in the car if you don't go through the driver's door. Do you get in from the passenger side? That'd be reason enough for me to get that fixed immediately. I know that's of no use to you right now, but ... just sayin. :)

Archived