LegacyGT.com

Lighting Observations and Questions

Good Day All,

Not trying to start another thread war, but I WOULD like some opinions from folks that may have tried the below products.

I've owned my 3.6r since last January. I have a Limited so I DO have HID headlights.

I have observed that the lighting is abysmal in rain and other inclement weather. (In fact worse than other cars with halogen headlights in some cases).

I was doing a bit of research.

I do not have a desire to convert to LED lighting.

I was wondering if folks in the group have tried the replacements below and if they make a marked difference from OEM.

Other similar suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

Low Beams:

D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

http://www.xenondepot.com/d4s-cbi-66440-osram-hid-bulb-p/66440cbi.htm

Highbeam/DRL

9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-osram-night-breaker-Unlimited-bulbs-p/9005nbu.htm

Fog:

H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

http://www.xenondepot.com/h11-osram-night-breaker-Unlimited-bulbs-p/64211nbu-01b.htm

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

Do we really need another vehicle light thread?

You can not use the SEARCH?

May be we need to start 2.5 vs 3.6 Thread?

Oil brand ?

I got it..........My Daddy is bigger than your Daddy.

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Do we really need another vehicle light thread?

You can not use the SEARCH?

May be we need to start 2.5 vs 3.6 Thread?

Oil brand ?

I got it..........My Daddy is bigger than your Daddy.

Just wanted to know if anyone has used these and compared to OEM.

Lamps DO actually perform differently in different housings.

Maybe I'll just take the risk since XD seems to be a good vendor.

(And yes I know how to search and read through the sticky as well).

Lighting Mods

Subaru 20mm RSB

Then Why didn't You?

I thought someone on the forum may have actually tried them and had an opinion... Sorry if the inquiry seems stupid.

Thanks for your time.

:rolleyes:

Lighting Mods

Subaru 20mm RSB

I am having a bit of a better than Rowlette so I will answer your question.

HIDs that come with the Legacy are very decent. Before you do anything, make sure that they are aimed properly and that there is nothing wrong with them.

LED headlights IMO are not any brighter than HIDs. I have driven MB, BMW and Audis with them and can not tell the difference.

If you are not happy with the light pattern, changing the bulbs won't do much.

I actually quite liked the HID with Morimoto Fog combo I had on my car.

Thanks TTG.

Light pattern is OK.

Throw seems less than some of my other cars.

(And road lighting on the Subaru seems to vanish in bad weather).

I'm not sure if it's a color thing, old eyes or something else.

I've noticed lamp quality varies wildly sometimes and some combinations don't work well together.

I'm still not in the LED headlight camp, (in fact.. there are LED replacements for the old 7" round sealed beam headlights we use in our 35 year old FIATS and they do NOT perform well at all), which is why I was asking about alternative lamp experiences.

Cheers.

Lighting Mods

Subaru 20mm RSB

You are welcome. My only suggestion (which most would disagree) is that you throw in there some 55w, 6000K bulbs in there.

I had this combo on my 2012 Legacy and was very happy with it. They were super bright.

I am sure the light police will come in here soon and let us know what a bad idea that is.......just sharing my personal experience:)

I just picked up my car with low beam HID, but prefer "whiter" output so I already ordered some morimoto 5500k d4s bulbs, maybe try this out before you move away from the OEM hid setup.

I am pairing this with Philips led fog light h11 bulbs, 6000k.

I was happy with the 5500k morimoto bulbs in my d2s WRX retrofit, and they are pretty inexpensive ~$60

Thanks.

Looking at a similar approach with the OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS and NightBreaker H11 for fogs.

Let us know how yours work out!

The Morimoto bulbs are a great price.

Lighting Mods

Subaru 20mm RSB

Those Osram bulbs are top of the line, but the color isn't going to be white, there is a review saying it is more yellowish.

Technically the light color of the HID bulbs delivered with the car provides the greatest amount of light, but it is very yellow.

When you get to 5000k and above, light output starts to drop, but the color moves away from yellow to white then blue etc.

I found the 5500k paired well with 6000K LED fogs, and produces much whiter light, which I find so much easier on my eyes -- which is why I am jumping up the color spectrum slightly.

My last car I had OLM Gen 2 6000k LED fog light bulbs and they were pretty bright, but I kept the OEM plastic fog lights.

My Legacy has upgraded Fogs, so H11 and glass lenses, so I opted to spend a bit more on the bulbs and not replace the OEM housing and lens:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U2NHLTI/

If I had a trim level with the standard Subaru plastic fogs I would have upgraded to:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-headlight-fog-light-housings/morimoto-xb-led-fog-lights-type-s.html#.V81b7SgrJhE

I think you will find the light output similar with the OSRAM's, but check to see if you can get a Whiter hue from a different OSRAM bulb because they might solve your problem.

PS: Just looked in the manual to figure out how to swap out HID bulbs and of course it tells me to bring it to the dealer. 2 minutes later, unplug connector, rotate back of housing and see how to swap out the bulb. Pretty easy procedure, I guess they are afraid someone will do it with the lights powered on and get defibrillated.

I am sure the light police will come in here soon and let us know what a bad idea that is.......

Bad idea, on several levels ... but I don't expect to change anyone's mind.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I'm in the lower color temp foglamp camp as well.

(Although it seems like Subaru and some others are not exactly using fogs as fogs these days).

Going to try the Osram Night Breaker H11s to compare.

I threw in a single Silverstar Ultra I had from another car last evening and it seemed to make a positive difference from stock. Slightly wider and more down road pattern. Can't read the marking on the OEM lamp.

We shall see.

Cheers.

Lighting Mods

Subaru 20mm RSB

I find super white light to create excessive glare in foggy conditions. I swapped my 6500k LEDs for 4300k HIDs for this reason. I like the color better but it depends a lot on your preference and how your eyes pick the light up. Just note that less white will cut through fog better.

Here's my current setup:

Low - XenonDepot Extreme HID 4300k Philips upgrade

High - Philips CrystalVision Ultra

Fog - Diode Dynamics Luxeon LED projector housings (same as Morimoto)

Hella 500FF - Philips CrystalVision Ultra

I've been very pleased with the CrystalVisions, great match to HIDs and a significant upgrade over stock. Definitely recommended for high beam duty. I paid 20 bucks on Amazon which is quite reasonable.

Also, 4300k light does tend to get "lost" on the road in inclement weather, meaning you can't see it on wet roads. The whiter you go the worse this gets. Yellower halogen light will still be noticeable on wet roads, hence why they may seem better for inclement weather. However the brightness and reach of HIDs more than outweighs this, especially when a foreign object pops up down the road HID will most likely make it stand out more.

Here's a good comparison of upgrade bulbs:

http://imgur.com/m4lzA3v.jpg

I find super white light to create excessive glare in foggy conditions. I swapped my 6500k LEDs for 4300k HIDs for this reason. I like the color better but it depends a lot on your preference and how your eyes pick the light up. Just note that less white will cut through fog better.

Here's my current setup:

Low - XenonDepot Extreme HID 4300k Philips upgrade

High - Philips CrystalVision Ultra

Fog - Diode Dynamics Luxeon LED projector housings (same as Morimoto)

Hella 500FF - Philips CrystalVision Ultra

I've been very pleased with the CrystalVisions, great match to HIDs and a significant upgrade over stock. Definitely recommended for high beam duty. I paid 20 bucks on Amazon which is quite reasonable.

Also, 4300k light does tend to get "lost" on the road in inclement weather, meaning you can't see it on wet roads. The whiter you go the worse this gets. Yellower halogen light will still be noticeable on wet roads, hence why they may seem better for inclement weather. However the brightness and reach of HIDs more than outweighs this, especially when a foreign object pops up down the road HID will most likely make it stand out more.

If the white output is not as useful in the fog, you could always put yellow laminex on the fog light lenses, however I use my fog lights more as driving lights than true fog lights.

With my WRX, I found the yellow color fogs distracting with the whiter temp HID's, so I pulled the yellow laminex off when I did my D2S retrofit and added 5500k HID's.

It would probably be worse with the Steering Responsive fog function on my Legacy. Either the fogs are on all the time or any time you turn any direction while driving that side comes on. I think I will probably run my fogs full time because it is probably better for the LED bulbs not to have to cycle on and off constantly (though they will with high beam/low beam, it wont be every time I turn the steering wheel)

That said, find the color you like for an HID replacement, 5500k is my happy medium, the Osrams that OP is thinking about approach 5000k, but at least one reviewer thinks they are closer to stock, aka more yellow than white in color output.

I did a similar swap... I had 6000k LED's in my headlights, and switched to the 4300k Philips HID's for the exact same reason. I move the LED's to my fog lights, but now have the LaminX yellow tint for those (which I still haven't put on yet) which I think will help for the inclement weather, but still have the good output with being the LED light.

However, I found the yellow color fogs distracting with the whiter temp HID's, so I pulled the yellow laminex off my WRX fogs when I did my D2S retrofit and added 5500k HID's.

I'm hoping that having the 4300k HID's in mine, the color difference won't be too much of a distraction. I typically use my fogs as additional driving lights (after having to do quite a bit of aiming so I wouldn't blind other drivers) but I think I'd be okay bypassing this when I put the LaminX film on. Thankfully I don't have the steering responsive lights, so at least I won't get the weird yellow light shining through on off times!

I move the [6000k] LED's to my fog lights, but now have the LaminX yellow tint for those ...

You do realize, don't you, what will happen when using a deep amber filter over a blue light source? (Just for grins, ask the vendor how much yellow/amber light ... below 2500k ... is emitted by your 6000k LEDs.) Expect an 80% or greater reduction in light output.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

You do realize, don't you, what will happen when using a deep amber filter over a blue light source? (Just for grins, ask the vendor how much yellow/amber light ... below 2500k ... is emitted by your 6000k LEDs.) Expect an 80% or greater reduction in light output.

Honestly, I was thinking that might be the case. I figured it might be worth a try to see if I at least like the look and output. Nice thing is, I only spent about $10 on them (good sale at the time) and if I don't like them, I can always peel it off again! :)

laminex film does not cut down on the light output much, I had it on my WRX with 6000k OLM Gen 2 LED bulbs and it was still much brighter than stock.

It was more for appearance than function though, and there is plenty of argument about what color is best for fog lights...

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/light_color/light_color.html

If the white output is not as useful in the fog, you could always put yellow laminex on the fog light lenses, however I use my fog lights more as driving lights than true fog lights.

With my WRX, I found the yellow color fogs distracting with the whiter temp HID's, so I pulled the yellow laminex off when I did my D2S retrofit and added 5500k HID's.

It would probably be worse with the Steering Responsive fog function on my Legacy. Either the fogs are on all the time or any time you turn any direction while driving that side comes on. I think I will probably run my fogs full time because it is probably better for the LED bulbs not to have to cycle on and off constantly (though they will with high beam/low beam, it wont be every time I turn the steering wheel)

That said, find the color you like for an HID replacement, 5500k is my happy medium, the Osrams that OP is thinking about approach 5000k, but at least one reviewer thinks they are closer to stock, aka more yellow than white in color output.

My fogs are rewired to be DRLs so white is probably better for that duty. Otherwise I'd definitely do yellow Lamin-X.

I could see the yellow/white contrast being distracting for some people. It's really down to how your eyes pick up different colors.

OK.. Here is what I installed:

Low Beams:

http://www.xenondepot.com/d4s-cbi-66...p/66440cbi.htm

Highbeam/DRL:

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-osram...-p/9005nbu.htm

Fog:

http://www.xenondepot.com/h11-osram-...211nbu-01b.htm

The stock H11 Fog Lamps are Osram 6211L. They are rated at 1350lm just like the Night Breakers. The new ones are slightly more white and seem to have a bit wider and longer pattern.

Stock Highbeam DRL lamps are Sylvania HB3U 9005 rated at 1700lm and 3200k color. The Osram lamps say they are 3500k and 1860lm. For brights they seem to have a bit more distance.

Stock Lowbeams were Philips 42402C1rated at 3200lm and 4200k color. The Osram lamps say they are 5500k but still have a fairly warm hue.

Getting some nighttime highway driving in tonight.

Don't see any HUGE changes.

(As indicated, looking for slightly better bad weather performance. Will have to wait for the next big rain). ;-)

Lighting Mods

Subaru 20mm RSB

Recommend the new lamp combo. Highway visibility is MUCH improved.

Lighting Mods

Subaru 20mm RSB

• 3 weeks later...

Good Day Everyone,

Just thought I'd report back.

I'm VERY happy with the new lamp setup.

Low Beams:

http://www.xenondepot.com/d4s-cbi-66...p/66440cbi.htm

Highbeam/DRL

http://www.xenondepot.com/9005-osram...-p/9005nbu.htm

Fog:

http://www.xenondepot.com/h11-osram-...211nbu-01b.htm

To my eyes and the opinions of a few passengers:

MUCH better night road illumination and better in the rain as well.

The Original Low Beams were:

Philips D4S XenEco lamps.

The Osram lapms are slightly whiter and seem to have a bit more forward illumination without eyestrain.

The OEM Highbeams were Sylvania lamps, the OSRAM replacements DO make a bit of difference for high beam use but I'm not sure about "bang for the buck"

The fogs were OSRAM lamps but a different model.

Current ones are slightly whiter, slightly longer and wider beam pattern. The added width looks a bit odd in tight spaces but alright on the road.

(Just have to get used to Subaru and other modern cars using the fogs as necessary auxiliary lights. ;-)

Got a great price from XenonDepot with the Labor Day Sale.

Shipping was fast as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Lighting Mods

Subaru 20mm RSB

My suggestion to those who in the same boat are D4S Morimoto 5500k pair with Motimoto LED Fog if you're driving in city and rains a lot. Morimoto bulbs put more lights in the hotspot so it looks brighter than CBI. I went through two pairs of Osram CBI on a RX-350 Bi-xenon retrofit on my 2015 Legacy. Now I just run Morimoto bulbs. CBI has a more even light distribution throughout the beam, basically much sharper cut off but a tad dimmer vs morimoto more bright in the center not as sharp but it feels like it's 10% brighter if you drive mainly in the city and rains.

16' Legacy Mods: 55w HID + XB35 5500k, LEDS upgrades, XB Type T Fog, 20mm SB.

Custom Footwell Illiminate Kit; http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/15-legacy-outback-footwell-illumination-kit-237567.html

Archived