LegacyGT.com

Lifetime PNW resident relocating to SoCal - Need advice!

FocuS

Hey -

Posted this up in the off-topic thread but not much discussion. As each day passes, I get just a little more nervous about the impending move! We will be fully moved by Dec. 13th! :eek:

Here is the original Thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/moving-la-area-looking-advice-215749.html

Basically, My wife and I are moving down for a great job opportunity for her career. We are also pretty excited to get away form the Seattle gray skies and the possibility of a more active outdoor lifestyle. Personally, I'm just stoked for a new city and the car culture it contains!

Any advice on the following would be great:

Best locations to live? (Wife is working downtown Santa Monica, I have not found a new job) Decent schools and a budget of about $2500 per month...hoping to keep the commute down to less than 1 hr each way but I know how that is with traffic and the budget...

Best High-tech companies? (work for me - background in R&D, Contract, and OEM manufacturing)

Thanks in Advance!

Santa Monica is a pretty nice place but going anywhere in an hour is probably around 20ft. Traffic sucks in the area and the 405 is always backed up. I used to live in seattle too and now live in San Luis Obispo on the gold coast which is 2 1/2 hours north of SM. You might be commuting a distance for a job but you never know. Start sending out that resume now. Whats your car look like?

I don't know how this would work for you, but you could also try something like an Extended Stay America near your wife's office while you shop for something long term. In this case, you could put non-essentials in a storage unit. I would think you could do this for under $3k/month, perhaps within your $2500 budget.

i live in West LA. Traffic is bad if you're visiting and you don't expect traffic... If you live here and understand traffic it's not so bad... All things considered. I choose to live about 4 miles from my work. I like the West LA area 90064,90025... because it keeps you close to everything and your not far from the freeways just incase you want to hit up other areas. Airport, beach, best hospital all within a realistic 20-30 minute drive in moderate traffic. As far as jobs there are tons if you have a degree and experience. El Segundo there are a lot of tech companies that are large employers. SpaceX and Northrop Grumman are all in that area as well. Santa Monica and Venice area is the next silicon valley. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me questions.

Thanks for the advice all! Looks like things are coming together...

We have a trip book ed fro house hunting and interviews 11/11-11/15. Already have an interview at SpaceX and trying for a few more while I'm in the area...

The relocation package will cover 30 days housing if we still don't find something but I'm sure we will. I'll check out padmapper.com with the area codes you mention plus a few others...

All looks well if a little fast paced.

I'll keep you in the loop if I have further questions!

Cheers!

I am From Seattle and Live in Santa Monica, http://www.westsiderentals.com pretty much has monopolized the rental market on the westside and is worth the 60 bucks. they also have a nice concierge service where they drive you around in a minivan to open houses that fit your cirteria.

-if you want some pointers on Good or bad neighborhoods let me know (ill pm you my number)

!

You may also want to check out the Conejo Valley (Agoura, Thousand Oaks, Westlake, etc...) - reasonable commute to SM via the canyons and PCH, good schools, less crowded and more affordable housing than West L.A. Also, there is a thriving tech corridor along the 101 freeway from Calabasas to Camarillo.

If you are gonna work at SpaceX (in the South Bay) then Culver City, Playa Vista, or Westchester would be good options for you and your wife to split your commutes.

Good luck - and welcome to SoCal!

Thanks a bunch All Grown and Big Dave!

Looks like we'll be flying down the week of 11/11 and I'll make a point of adding those areas to our search!

Lots of job opportunities for me so I'm a bit less stressed out about the whole thing now. Finished up my time at my previous job and now it's a month of cramming all the packing and move prep I can...with maybe just a little messing around!

I Work in Agoura hills, and would never consider living in Agoura and working in SM...it is a terrible commute!, As I reverse commute I stare at all those people sitting there on pch, or the 101/405.

Throw Sherman Oaks, Tarzana and Reseda into the mix, your money will go alot farther there. they are 10-20 minutes from SM with light traffic probably more like 30 in the mornings though.

We have an appointment to look at a place in Sherman Oaks next week and a couple in Torrance... Then looking into daycare for the next year and transitioning into Kindergarten for the future!

It's a LOT harder moving a family instead of just me...

Have settled on Culver City, Torrance, Venice area. Still checking houses and now townhouses in those areas.

Let me know if you've got a line on a place... Doing a dry run of the commute tonight and then dinner in Cypress or Long Beach. Already loving the sun!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Archived