LegacyGT.com

LGT Wagon vs 3.0R Spec B wagon vs 3.0R Outback Wagon

106racecar

Hi All

I have seen some comparisions discussed but not this particular one.

I looking at purchasing one of these car's and each as a wagon as I have 3 children to consider - although I quite like the Spec B as a sedan!

I mainly use the car driving to work, taking kids to soccer etc, but also get out of town over the weekend and holidays to do the odd bit of skiing, camping and bush walks - only once or twice of each per year.

So far, I like the 3.0R Spec B for its discreetness, engine sound, gearbox and handling which will make selling my roadtrim racecar easier.

I also like the Outback because it has more luxurious feel to it similar to my Audi A6 Sedan (2.4 V6 FWD) which is also going but has the ability to go down a few dirt roads a little better and I quite like the look of the body moldings. The Auto seems ok to me but has been slammed in a number of posts ... funnily enough it also seems to handle better than my A6, but then it has 70k Miles on it ...

Then there is the 2.0GT Turbo (we have the 2.0 version in NZ) which has the power, handling, better economy and a little cheaper but also is a thief and Polic emagnet!

Apparently the Outback is not that superior offroad over the Legacy considering I am only going down a couple of gravel roads and skiing a couple of times per year?

What would you get ?

As I drive daily a 2007 spec.B and my drives daily a 2007 Outback 3.0R LLBean, I'd get the 3.0R spec.B and would modify it to make it more of driver's car if the basic 3.0 spec.B's handling and roadholding isn't satisfying. The six-cylinder engine is smoother and quieter than the four-cylinder engine as we observed on a recent, 1,500-mile trip in the Outback. The 2.5 spec.B is more frugal.

As I drive daily a 2007 spec.B and my drives daily a 2007 Outback 3.0R LLBean, I'd get the 3.0R spec.B and would modify it to make it more of driver's car if the basic 3.0 spec.B's handling and roadholding isn't satisfying. The six-cylinder engine is smoother and quieter than the four-cylinder engine as we observed on a recent, 1,500-mile trip in the Outback. The 2.5 spec.B is more frugal.

I am pretty much off the Legacy GT now as I prefer the refinement of the 3.0R engine. I am also put off by the higher insurance costs, requirements for multiple immobilisers and the probability of coming back to the car and finding that it is not there - this seems to be common with Subaru's here in NZ - more so the WRX, but you have to be careful where you park them.

That leaves the Legacy Spec B 3.0R or the 3.0R Outback - I guess that is what you would go for over the 3.0R Outback(LLBean in your market) ?

The Legacy 3.0R Spec B handles as well as the GT, but is more refined and has the nice 6 spd gearbox which makes it fun to drive.

I guess the strength of the 3.0R Outback is the ability to go offroad (well a little) which is at the sacrafice of handling, but doesn't seem so bad apart from when there are undulations on the road, and the auto and whilst its not as fun to drive it "is" better in traffic.

Oh and for some reason it is uncommon for the Legacy 3.0R Spec to have cruise control - But it is in the Outback. I wonder if this can be fitted later ?

The US version of the 3.0R Outback has about 210 mm of ground clearance and so it is better in snow and more suitable on roads which require maximum clearance than the 3.0R spec.B. The Outback has a soft ride and handles like a pig in contrast to the spec.B excellent roadholding and handling. I'd readily sell our Outback in favor of a 3.0R spec.B wagon with automatic transmission. I wouldn't add cruise control or any other electronic accessory to a modern car because of the risk of software incompatibility. I wish we in North America had the choice of models that Subaru offers you Kiwis.

You are right, we have quite a bit of choice due to the emission standards in NZ and also the fact that a number of used japanese cars are imported into the country. Unfortunately we don't get a XT Manual Outback or a 3.0R manual.

I am fairly keen on getting a manual as it is generally more fun and apart from in heavy traffic, I often drive my Audi using the tiptronic mode - the tiptronic mode is also useful for braking. My other car is a manual also ...

At first I thought the Subaru auto would be acceptable and found it operated well on the test drive in the GT and also the Outback. However a number of people on the forum have complained about the auto generally not operating well.

The ideal car seemed to be the 3.0R Spec B 6spd manual, but ground clearance seems to be a bit tight at 155 mm for the odd gravel road ?

Other heights from the brochure list the GT Spec B ground clearance at 160 mm and the Outback at 200 mm.

I am still not too keen on the GT due to the high theft and insurance rates here, although when I tried an auto GT Wagon, it was quick, fun to drive and appeared to go well, although not as smooth as the H6.

The 3.0R Outback seemed to hang on well, although was a bit loose at the back-end on undulating roads and is not so fun to drive being an auto, but has a higher level of usability being a bit higher ... sounds like I have gone full circle!

Archived