LegacyGT.com

LGT Dual Exhaust - true dual or show?

bolbo

The heading asks it all. I've read and seen where the LGT (and all LEG's for that matter) have dual muffler exhaust. Does that mean it has true dual exhaust and exactly what purpose does it serve. I just got done reading a hysterical 'urban dictionary' to find out what a 'ricer' is. One fellow mentioned how a ricer could include putting a dual exhaust on an inline 4 and unwittingly actually cut down hp. Just wondering how the Subies' dual exhausts help or hinder.

NO, the GT is true dual as I have seen fumes coming out of both exhausts and the note comes from both aswell. Just curious if a lot of the exhast systems ppl will do a special offers on cannons as you are having to buy two?????? This may be a question for you Paul & AVO ?

from my experiance. a true duel exhaust has 2 pipes usualy on like a v8 mustang per say. off the headers and h pipe or x pipe and then 2 pipes continuing all the way back. now the legacy does not do this. the headers go to the one turbo and one exhaust pipe comes out. till about the rear suspension and then it splits into a y and then there are 2 mufflers and 2 pipes out the rear. this car being turbo'd i dont think this would hurt any cause after the turbo u want the exhaust out the best u can. so most ppl i know would not say its a true dual exhaust.

I believe its a common mid pipe section that branches off towards the rear so you have the dual exhaust. It might just be for looks and because its turbo. Anyways I have seen cars with smaller non turbo engines come with dual exhausts from the factory...Look at the TSX.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Well, given that many of those "true" dual systems have a crossover pipe at some point, there's not a lot in the difference between them and the Legacy. And the Legacy dual exhaust does make use of the volume afforded by both of those cannons to reduce back pressure - remove one and you'll notice how large they are. Most of the exhaust places are offering a discount, of a sort, on the duals. The price of two cannons is generally cheaper than if you priced two separate exhausts. But it's not as cheap as a single exhaust, for obvious reasons. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Single exhaust back with dual mufflers. It still provides better flow while still being quiet, though.

Simply put there. It's nice because you can push a larger volume of exhaust gases, while at the same time have a greater ability to dampen the sound your engine makes.

The setup used by the Legacy with Single pipe from the turbo until about the point of the rear suspension, where it splits, it the most feasible for materials, cost, and weight along with the sound deadening characteristics that make a dual-exhaust a good option. Least amount of piping keeps the cost and weight down of course.

540617398_StockExhaustlayout-Lotsofroomstooperate.jpg.201f8fd0d6e354133dcedf5ebad28c0a.jpg

It would be totally possible but completely unnecessary. I feel the setup they are utilizing should work rather well and has the best balance of weight, cost, flow, and sound deadening. For stock that is. I'll probably utilize a similar design when I upgrade my exhaust, it will just be full stainless with a single high-flow cat and a less sound reducing resonator. I like to have a little of that sound audible.

[quote name='meier motor sports'][quote name='BernardP']Anybody here interested in paying for two catalytic converters? Clearly, the Legacy setup (including the non-turbo) is a good compromise.[/quote] what?[/quote] if the exhuast split closer to the turbo (ie: before the cat) there would have to be 2 catalytic converters which are not cheap.

No it's not a true dual exhaust. It's a single exhaust that splits into two. I'm not aware of ANY stock four bangers that use a true dual exhaust. To be truely dual it would have to come from the engine all the way back with it's own exhaust plumbing for each side of the engine. It's for show purposed on the LGT

It is somewhat for show, but it's also to reduce sound and increase flow. Does it really matter if it's a TRUE dual-exhaust? Nope, not really. At least it doesn't have fake exhaust tips and such like I've seen on several vehicles.

I remember reading something way back when about how the GT's exhaust was specifically designed for maximizing torque. Now, there is a whole debate on whether or not turbo'd cars gain any torque benefits from back pressure. I don't intend to start this debate, but I do put some faith in Subaru engineers when it comes to these boxer engines. We will only really know once someone dyno's a prototype turboback, downpipe, or catback systems. It's a little early for this.

Archived