LegacyGT.com

LGT & Aero devices

boxkita

From a post on the GrassRootsMotoring fb page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10151272858593140&set=a.90554638139.104770.66381183139&type=1&theater

Relevant text:

This car, driven by Aaron Byram, finished 2nd in TTS at the NASA Championships at Mid Ohio. Beat a bunch of Corvette's, an STi and a Lotus Exige.

So, the question, how much of this would work on a LGT? I see front lips on many of the cars posted here, and a few on the autox/track cars. I've only seen one really big wing (spoilers dont count, or do they?).

I've been looking at skid plates/splitters for the front of my wagon. Also, been experimenting with a design for a rear diffuser that is useful. And debating making a new front end that has a lower edge (builtin splitter?) and includes support for strakes.

Why? Having spent all my "new car" money on fixing the wagon, I'm stuck with it for awhile, so no m3 or 911 is in my future. The wagon is mostly stable at speed, except when cornering hard. Adding downforce should/will help increasing cornering force or make for a spectacular "off" when it craps out.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/548352_10151272858593140_980994080_n.jpg

Reducing front end lift would be the most helpful. However, the commercially available front lips do virtually nothing for downforce, as they are too far off the ground and the wrong shape. Look at front splitters of other race cars.

Increasing downforce in the back helps if you run very stiff rear spring rates and have dialed in a slight oversteer balance at low speeds.

Downforce is nice, but it's often the last piece of the puzzle for a car that sees any time on the street.

I drove this car and it was glued to the road:

783973646_DSCN0579(Large).thumb.JPG.3786188602db62b5ab5f92d7d4af6c20.JPG

They work very well but hardly needed unless you're doing time attack or high level competitive racing. The Icy-Phoenix Racing Spec B was only allowed to use stock aero and they did great. Splitters and diffusers are usually the first to break when you go off. It's also something else that gets in the way when you have to get under your car.

I'd look at my suspension settings, alignment, and wheels/tires long before I worried about aero.

Archived