LegacyGT.com

Level Ten Transmissions

Mortal2None

Has anyone else ever heard of these guys or had work done by them?

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Subaru_Pts_Bulletproof_Transmission_p/sub-ja1800-15000s.htm

Apparently they do "bulletproof" 4/5EAT's and it's about $1500 cheaper than the IPT build. I'm tempted to call them and do a comparo of the work IPT does. (It's tough to cough up $5k for the IPT build for a 300 WHP car)

Other work:

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Subaru_Bulletproof_Valvebody_p/sub-ja210-15000p.htm

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_PTS_Subaru_Bulletproof_Rebuilding_Kit_p/sub-ja110-15000.htm

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_Subaru_PTS_Bulletproof_Torque_Converter_p/sub-ja310-15000s.htm

Thoughts?

It sounds very interesting! It looks like they sell a built 5eat for $4300.

And $1k cheaper if you send them a donor and they dont have to build it from scratch. (Almost seems too good to be true :eek: ) It looks like they are Nissan centric but I see posts of them doing 4EAT's from 10 years ago so I guess they might know something about Subaru's.

(Wasn't the 4/5EAT tranny's taken from the JATCO/Nissan design?)

IPT had to clean up their mess on Subie trannies on more than one occasion. I remember reading about a Forester XT with a 10 grand 4EAT :lol:

10 grand?!? Level Ten had to rebuild it three times?:icon_chee

Forget I ever brought them up. I found a Supra forums where they were totally bashing them. (NJ BBB links and all) Glad I didn't even bother wasting the time in calling them. I'll just have to do the IPT VB mod and hope the tranny stays in one piece.

Level Ten screwed the tranny up, had to fix something, still charged, then IPT picked it up and rebuilt it. 4 grand times two, plus 2 grand give or take. Even if I don't remember right and it was only built by Level 10 once and IPT second, it still comes up to a ridiculous amount of money for a transmission that has a street price of about 2 grand, on a vehicle which back then was under 20 grand.

There comes a point where the math is telling you you're doing something awfully wrong.

Please also keep in mind IPT's record is not completely spotless, there was one instance where they tried to blame a defective unit on a shoddy tune (my mechanical knowledge is not even a tenth of theirs and it was clear enough for me based on the behavior that was not the case). However, they have been stand up and stepped in every time. It would suck big time however, to get the unit returned, installed, something doesn't work right and have to send it back in when you are several states apart.

So when you are considering this, operate with the assumption that it won't go perfect so you'll be prepared with back-up plans. The incidence is extremely low but it's a reality.

To be perfectly honest, I have not been following Level 10's work so I can't really say if they had a bad tech or two years ago and all that is water under the bridge.

I'm on here once and a while but I rarely post.

What I would like to know is who has had first hand experience with a transmission from us that they were not happy with?

I see quite a bit of bashing but most of it seems to be from people who never had an IPT anything.

BTW, why doesn't someone pm the individual who had his Forester done by both us and L10 and get his run down of the situation.

If you feel compelled to bring it up in the first place, in all fairness, why don't you get this customer's unbiased opinion of the service that he received from both companies and with whom he deals with today. Please post it up as well.

-John

• Mega Users

You may want to clearly state exactly who you are representing. Just for the sake of professionalism.

Edit: To confirm my point I though you were a guy from Level Ten while writing this. After reading a few of the above posts I have now figured it out. So yeah.

Transdude, I was saying you guys cleaned up the other shop's mess as the owner has stated on the Subaru Forester org forums. So basically it was props for you guys, he's happy with his tranny. I was basically saying it's crazy to end up spending that much money on a unit. And I couldn't be happier with my IPT VB. I even called you guys a month later to let you know :D

I'm on here once and a while but I rarely post.

What I would like to know is who has had first hand experience with a transmission from us that they were not happy with?

I see quite a bit of bashing but most of it seems to be from people who never had an IPT anything.

BTW, why doesn't someone pm the individual who had his Forester done by both us and L10 and get his run down of the situation.

If you feel compelled to bring it up in the first place, in all fairness, why don't you get this customer's unbiased opinion of the service that he received from both companies and with whom he deals with today. Please post it up as well.

-John

Hi John,

You guys do the best work as far as anyone known in the Subaru 5EAT world and by no means was this thread to bash any work you have done. (I'm sure 95% of the LGT.com subscribers hold you in the highest regard) I was mearly opening the post to find out about Level Ten since they represented a cheaper option but I could find nothing on them. (and apparently you get what you pay for) I'm just trying to justify a built trans for a 5EAT that will not see more then 300WHP and is a DD. I'll give you a call this spring about doing the VB mod and i'll hope for the best.

My brother spent 6 grand with level 10, it was a ford tranny it broke in 1 month. The stock tranny lasted at that power level for 30k miles.

I have a ipt valve body in my sisters car, it works and runs great.

She is going to have a local shop build it now for about 4200 with customer clutches and custom billet parts with promise of holding 600 hp with warranty. Hers is a 02 wrx!

Archived