LegacyGT.com

Let's Play " Name That Rattle"

BigJack

I have a rattle that only seems to be getting worse. Its coming from the passenger side. Its sounds like a piece of plastic really loose.

I suspect that it is the handle for the glove box. Anyone else find this

I already tried emptying the glovebox and all other loose items

Passenger seat belt is always plugged in on my car. LoL The rattle from my dash sounds like loose stuff in the glove box. My glove box latch feels like its just laying there. I think its the problem. I just want to see if its something i can take care of. A trip to the dealer is a real Pita for me

Try a search for glovebox rattles. I have one as well as do many others.

There seems to be some consensus that the screws mounting the box assembly to the frame get over-tourqued breaking something like a grommet that insulates the box from the frame.

My rattle is intermittent so I've not yet bothered to look more closely.

I have a vibration/rattle somewhere on the passenger side of the car. I can't find it and it's driving me nuts. It only happens when the car is cold. Once the interior warms up, it seems to stop.

Possible culprits - door plastic - seatbelt - rear speaker

Arg.

The door trim on the paasenger front is ratlting for me now, if I press it in or pull on the map compartment it goes away, I'll take a better look this weekend, but you might want to check that. Seems to ba a little loose along the bottem.

I had a maddening rattle that I couldn't figure out forever, and then I found out that it was the auto dimming rear view mirror. I think the plastic seam where the back of the mirror and the front of the mirror come together is slightly loose. What took so long to find it though was the fact that the noise Sounded like it was coming from the passenger compartment somewhere, and not the mirror. YOu might want to check that one out. just squeezing it killed the noise....for a while.

I have a clanging-like rattle on the passenger side. I tried reseating the long retractable center rear seat belt/child safety seat buckle in the stowaway space in the ceiling towards the back in the wagon compartment. The clanging improved but it did not eliminate the problem. Any banging of the metal blade on the buckle seems to echo in the ceiling panel and makes it sound like it's coming from along the whole length of the passenger side of the car. Before I adjusted the seat belt it was so distracting I just wanted to return it to the dealer and get a new one. Now it is merely annoying. I'm not even sure the seat belt is the whole problem. It could be almost anything squeaking or banging around in the ceiling or door panels. Any sudden jolt or sharp drop on broken pavement and the whole right side of the car creeks and groans. The drivers side never makes a peep.

I have a sound coming from the center consol where cup holder is, there is nothing stored in it so it’s empty all the time. I have check to see if there is any loose both or screw and to no success, it still makes sound sometimes.

I have a clanging-like rattle on the passenger side. I tried reseating the long retractable center rear seat belt/child safety seat buckle in the stowaway space in the ceiling towards the back in the wagon compartment. The clanging improved but it did not eliminate the problem. Any banging of the metal blade on the buckle seems to echo in the ceiling panel and makes it sound like it's coming from along the whole length of the passenger side of the car. Before I adjusted the seat belt it was so distracting I just wanted to return it to the dealer and get a new one. Now it is merely annoying. I'm not even sure the seat belt is the whole problem. It could be almost anything squeaking or banging around in the ceiling or door panels. Any sudden jolt or sharp drop on broken pavement and the whole right side of the car creeks and groans. The drivers side never makes a peep.

The dealer warned me about this, on an '06. Never had this problem with the belt tucked into the roof.

The dealer warned me about this, on an '06. Never had this problem with the belt tucked into the roof.
Gee wiz, that's just great. :(

Well at least I'm not the only one. Did he happen to say what they can do about it?

If I recall, the deal just siad to make sure the belt was "secure" in the stowaway space. The belt has never been used and it's been tucked away ever since we go the car. I'm thinking to either try and re-position the thing or, wrap it in a small piece of foam.

I'm not real active on this board but, you may be the first to find this rattle. I believe that allows you naming rights. Good luck.

had a rattle coming from the glove box. it just doesn't close tight. i've got a cloth i keep in there for quick dusting. i just have it now so the cloth is wedged in between. it's nice and tight now...and you can't see the cloth.

The rattle comes from just underneath the steering wheel. I checked and could see wires in it and thought the plastic housing of bunch of wires are rattling.. I tried to open stuff to see the plastic but couldn't figure it out. I will go to dealership and changed my oil, fix the cold butt seat, and this rattling, I hope.
From Desert to Rocky to SLC !!!

If I recall, the deal just siad to make sure the belt was "secure" in the stowaway space. The belt has never been used and it's been tucked away ever since we go the car. I'm thinking to either try and re-position the thing or, wrap it in a small piece of foam.
That's the trouble, there seems to be no way to secure it. There's a slot in the stowaway compartment that fits the blade on the child safety buckle. When the blade is inserted in the slot, the other blade rests on top of the belt but it can still flap around in there.

I was thinking the same thing, wrapping the metal blade with something to cushion it and prevent it from flapping, but haven't tried anything yet. I'm not much good anymore when it comes to tinkering but I'm sure I can find something temporary to see if it works. If that doesn't do it, I'll just have to give the dealer some grief about it when I take the car in next.

how about this one.....my emergancy brake rattles. It's the little chrome knob...it does it because at the base thiers a bit of play side to side. I guess maybe I could tighten it, but I'd prefer not to remove the boot.

• 5 months later...

I have had a rattle coming from the passenger side of my car. I finally noticed that it was coming from INSIDE THE PASSENGER SEAT in the lumbar region of the seatback. I notice it when I hit some bumps.

However, the other day I noticed that the lumbar support lever on the side of the seat, was in the "off" position so the support was not activated. Once I pulled the lever into the "on" position for support, the RATTLE INSIDE GOES AWAY! realllllly wierd, eh?

Anyone else have this issue?

My rattle, which sounded like it was coming from the front passenger door, was in fact the piece if weather stripping, that is by the side mirror, but on the inside of the car.

When i push on that piece, the noise goes away, haven't had a chance to take it in yet...

Archived