LegacyGT.com

LegacyGT or STI

Hi to everyone, I am a new member to the forum. I have owned and EVO 8 that I sold about a year ago. I have driven an STI recently, it is a fast car and the ride is stiff for everyday use. The steering not as tight as the EVO.

I am posting to find out more about the Legacy, I am 48 years old and still want a play car, that will be my daily driver here in Michigan. Ride is important, as well as a fast car. I like to accelate fast, but rarely go above 10 over posted speed. 0-60 for me is what it is all about.

The STI does ride better than the EVO, and I hope is more reliable. Mitisubishi does not honor thier warranties. I hope Subaru does.

What kind of cars did you have previously? Is the Legacygt a good daily driver? Is standard 250hp enough?

Sounds to me like the LGT is the car for you. I had a 05 wrx before this and this car just feels like soooo much more... just so much better all around and hella more torque! It's power is pretty damn good and a very pleasent ride. With an AP and new exhaust it will pretty much hang with an STi. The dealers I have been to will not void warr if replacing the exhaust, and from what I understand the AP's are pretty much undetectable.

If ride is important then I'd say definaetly Legacy GT. My previous cars were a 95 Camaro Z28, 2000 Mustang GT, and 2004 WRX.

Power and speedwise, the Legacy feels more like the Mustang. Good amount of low end torque which the WRX sorely lacked.

I still lust for the "super car" performance of a STi or EVO. I may trade the Legacy off for a STi or new Mustang in the future. But I do enjoy the Legacy more than the WRX and is a way more practical car over the Mustang and Camaro.

If you want a little better handling, I suggest you get the Spec B that should be out in a few months. It's an uprated handling package perhaps with Bilstein dampers and some other changes, I don't remember what the supposed list of changes was other than that it's a handling thing.

Go with the LGT...Accessport stg 1 93 oct....catback exhaust:) You should be real close to the EVO and still be under warranty with a stock re-flash! And the best of all....you are now in a "Sleeper":):)
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Thanks for your replies. I heard the new WRX will have the 2.5 engine at around 250hp, which is the same power plant of the Legacygt.

Any thoughts or news on the new WRX?:confused:

I heard the same, however it's uuuugly! And the lgt is and still will be just a much nicer car.

I have an 03 EVO and just picked up an LGT wagon. I only drove the LGT for 100 miles, but when I got back in the EVO, the first thought that occurred to me is that for the difference in performance, the amount of comfort given up on the EVO is just not worth, especially for purely street driving. I think if I had to chose to have only one, I would go with the LGT. Now Evo has its virtues, the great seats, the steering, the shifter. I have only driven an STI once, and I don't think those are its strong points anyway. For your purposes the LGT is a perfect car. The STI (and the EVO) attract a lot of attention, which I don't like. It is nice to have 8/10th of the performance in a stealth comfortable package such as the LGT (especially the wagon, in my case).

Go with the LGT...Accessport stg 1 93 oct....catback exhaust:) You should be real close to the EVO and still be under warranty with a stock re-flash! And the best of all....you are now in a "Sleeper":):)

I am new to Subaru's, you state the above mods do not void warranty? How much are the above mods?

Thanks

I am new to Subaru's, you state the above mods do not void warranty? How much are the above mods?

Thanks

If the dealer were to find out, that your ECU is changed, then yes they can void your warranty .. the beauty of Accessport, is apparently they can't detect it :)

A stock EVO will do 0-60 in 4.8 and 1/4 mile in low 13's. Would an Accessport + Catback Exhaust really push the Legacy into that territory?

I'll order an AP right now if that's true!

Up and Downpipes plus gaskets and shipping, depending on catted or catless and manufacturer can run from dirt cheap up to approx 1100. Accessport runs about 645+shipping. Check out http://www.cobbtuning.com/ and the reviews section of this site on parts. Searching for cobb, AP, etc on legactygt.com will net lots of user info on the product.

Edited for clarity

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Will not reach those exact numbers for a few reasons... Quarter mile isnt that huge because these mods have the largest impact on midrange power. Suspension is also an issue, there is pitch and dive with the current iteration of the legacy, hopefully this will be minimized for next year or the year after in the form of a suspension package.

This setup will make a large difference in street speed.

No, the name has nothing to do with bragging about 20 inch wheels...

Michigan Steve,

No - with those mods, you will be voiding the factory drivetrain and exhaust warranties.

A re-flash of your vehicle's computer back to "stock" baseline should conceal the modified nature of the AccessPort "Stage" programming (which is flashed on to the chip) to your dealership, thus preserving warranty. Although there is a limited number of times your computer can be re-flashed, typically, this number is so high that there is no cause for concern unless you're re-flashing every other day.

However, the aftermarket exhaust, along with aftermarket up and downpipes, etc., will also void at least that portion of your factory warranty, unless you completely re-swap every time you bring the car in to the shop. Whether or not your local dealer decides to turn a blind eye to the exhaust is simply something you'll have to research - some dealers are more mod-friendly than others.

----

Overall, I would say that the LGT should fit your bill very well, as it is very much a wolf in sheep's clothing. Unless you're willing to dump significantly more money in to your purchase and/or are willing to go with only having two drive wheels, you're not going to see this great of a 0-60 number anywhere else. Even stock, unmodified, the wide torque-band of the LGT really sets itself apart as a fun ride in the stoplight Grand Prix.

I also live in the snow-belt - or better put, the pothole-belt.

Coming from an import sport-compact background, ride comfort in the LGT will truly blow you away. If you're impressed with the liveability of the STi over the Evo, you'll think you're riding in a Caddilac inside the LGT. In turn, however, the LGT will give up quite a bit of feedback and response, as well as will present with more body motions - but in an everyday driver over harsh road surfaces, you'll find, I believe that this is worth the tradeoff. I am currently at the 50% stage of research-to-buy on new suspension components, and feel that perhaps this will be a route you'd like to follow as well...to keep the relatively protective sidewall height of the stock 17-inch weel-and-tire combo while tightening up the handling characteristics of the car overall - instead of oping for the supposed '06 "B-Spec"

With the '05 WRX, you'll find that the ride is significantly more rough-and-tumble, though by no means even approaching harsh, than a comparable stock LGT. However, the WRX will also feel more connected and direct as a result. Of the two, especially for a daily driver, the LGT's comfort level should put you more at-ease.

With regard to the rumored '06 2.5L WRX, I think that the only thing you can currently compare it with to a flesh-and-blood LGT is the interior size of the two vehicles. If you can live with this difference, ONLY THEN, would I even consider waiting for the '06 WRX to then assess its daily driveability as well as its power delivery.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I had a 90 GSX with built motor and the think I like about the legacy is the 2.5l engine,..has more torque rather than the 2.0L I had with the slightly higher compression 95 pistons,...

The power is linear in the Legacy and it just has alot more midrange from what Ive noticed and goes pretty quick from 40-60,..

The suspension is kinda soft and leans for me but good trade off as very responsive,..aftermarket parts are available, and although not all cheap, should be later,..just add rear bar, springs, shocks later to your suspension tastes,..

Michigan Steve

The question you pose is interesting. I own a 04 sti, 02 wrx wagon, and a 95 miata. My owning and driving experiences leads me to the same inquiry.

I love and drive my miata daily. This car is a fantastic car, but it lacks the power that my other vehicles provide. However, with proper shifting, the maita does quite well in heavy traffic situations. In fact, I prefer to drive the maita in heavy weekday traffic. I drive through all the mess, as if the other cars on the road were cones on a track.

The wrx wagon is also a great car, but in heavy traffic lag tends to be an issue, especially if you want to sprint into an open spot. The throttle response is not linear, and worsens in hot weather. The brakes are also not up to my driving demands. However, in light to moderate traffic this car tends to shine. The ride is the best of any of my vehicles.

The sti is also a great car, but in heavy traffic it becomes a real chore to drive. Lag or acceleration is not an issue, and the throttle response is more linear. Braking is phenomenal! The problem is the effort required to drive this beast in weekday traffic. The ride is harsh enough to beat you silly. On the weekend this changes and the car will chew up and spit out most anything that comes near it.

I think a good compromise would be an impreza with the power and brakes of an sti but the ride and handling of a wrx. The LGT seems to fit this model, but unfortunately it is heaver and longer than the impreza. I am also concerned about the too soft handling, squat and dive of the LGT. The 06 spec B version should eliminate most of my concerns (except the weight and length).

I personally prefer the Evo's ride quality to the STi's. The Evo often reacts more sharply to bumps and the like, but when I drove a couple of STis on the highway they just would not settle down. Constant high frequency vertical motions, very irritating. I live near Detroit, and the highway in question was 696.

Like you I also preferred the steering and shifter of the Evo. But that interior isn't even suitable for a $15,000 car.

As others have states, the LGT is much smoother and quieter. Sounds like you'd be getting the manual transmission. I've driven the 2.5 turbo with both transmissions, and liked it much more with the manual. It doesn't rev smoothly below 3000 RPM, and I personally find it easier and more natural to get the engine above this point with a stick and clutch.

Mitisubishi does not honor thier warranties.

You think?

You better buy the STi.

Modifying a Legacy will void your warranty with most dealers. There's also a big difference between a car that runs a 13.3 1/4 mile (the STi) and one that runs low 14s (the Legacy 5M).

Both totally different rides, both delivery, feel and look different. The only real way to get comfortable with either is take both on extended drives, get the feel and understanding of both, then weight up the pro's and con's. Once you have done that, leave it a week or two, then do it all again. By then, yr decision will be obvious. YES we can offer advice on this and that but at the end of the day U have to pull the trigger. Best of luck.

Ada///M.

Having come from an STi into my LGT, I can offer the following comparisons:

1. Ride/Handling. Obviously the STi will run circles around an LGT, but they serve different purposes so it is very hard to compare. Obviously the LGT rides much nicer than the STi. This is actually the only reason I traded in the STi as I was tired of getting beat to death on our lovely NE road system. The major issue with the LGT ride is the pitch, dive, and to some extent, roll. This is an area that should be tuned out and I'm looking into making that happen. I suspect some decent springs, chassis connectors, and sways will go a long way to resolving this, short of going full coilover setup, which I'd like to avoid due to up front costs and relatively little recoupment prospects (cash wise that is). As other members have already explored most of these options, I'm starting to see the feedback for the best path for the least amount of money. Regardless of what route I take, I will comprimise the ride quality as little as possible. The best thing that can be done for the LGT right off the lot that helps the balance enormously is to raise the stock tire's air pressure. 5 - 10 psi seems to be the best balance, and I've settled around 8 psi. Stops some of the wierd wandering that I noticed right off the bat, helps significantly in cornering speeds, and has little impact on the ride quality itself.

The steering on the LGT could be a little more boosted at cruising speeds as it feels too heavy for my tastes. The ratio could be improved also at it seems a bit sluggish at slower speeds. I am not dissapointed in it by any means...just used to the STi.

I wont get into tires as that is a whole 'nother subject. The stock LGT tires are adequate...we'll leave it at that.

2. Power. I've seen it said a few times in this thread and in others that an AP stage 1 with exhaust will put the LGT at stock STi power levels, but I doubt that is true. Considering that I was able to run a 12.9/104 stock in an STi, I would find it highly doubtful to accomplish this in the LGT without addressing the suspension first, as the squat/pitch the LGT performs on a hard launch will prevent the necessary 1.6/1.7 60 ft times needed to get that low of a time. I'm betting on a 13.4 max (if that) for a stage 1. But, toss in a DP/UP and Stage 2 and we should be low 13's and maybe....just maybe...high 12's. I'll find out soon enough.

Power is high on my list for why I choose the LGT, as it is capable of significant gains in power. My goal is a conservative 320-350 at the wheels. I'll likely need to swap intake manifold/tmic/turbo with a good tune to get there, but this is not a cost prohibitive path....so why not?:p I truly, truly miss my 304/341 at the wheels that my STi provided. "Downshif? We don' nee no steeking downshif."

3. Bling...the one thing I am so grateful for now is every little ricer and wannabe isn't challenging me, revving at me, or causing near accidents to get next to me. Plus, the white color and front end, and I suspect the black space caused by the hood scoop entry, make it appear to some as a police car..it seems folks just get out of my way these days and I LOVE that part of it.

4. Interior. Obviously the interior is much nicer in the LGT than the STi, but what some might find surprising is that the seats are actually more comfortable AND more supportive than the stock USDM OE STi seats. I'm only 5'10"/180 and found the STi seats side support way to wide, wheras the LGT seats fit me perfectly.

5. Instrumentation. I still prefer the STi dash over the LGT, but the trip computer/information center in the LGT is handy. Loved the vertically adjustable HIDs of the STi and can't understand why the LGT doesn't come with them also. Hate the GM influence on the LGT in the form of the DRL's and "idiot chime" of the seatbelt. It is unforegivable that the LGT doesn't come with a boost gage.

6. Engineering: The plastic endtanks and intake manifold on the LGT are unforegivable and I still can't believe they even sell something like this. Talk about deisgned for failure. I can't believe these things are going to last. To help alleviate this, I've already ordered STI motor mounts and a tranny mount to help keep the engine in place so it doesn't torque on the end tank clips. Long term, I forsee swapping to an STi intake/TMIC and probably vf39 or 18g in the future. On the other hand, there appears to be quite a bit more room to work on the LGT engine in all areas. I'll find out once the UP/DP install is completed (hopefully next weekend). Note to FUJI engineers...ever hear of a rain channel? It's the little thinks like these that you notice too late.

7. Drivetrain: DCCD is kewl and all, but having used in in auto x, drag, and road tracks, the novelty goes away and you discover the ECU handles it just fine. The clutch in the STi is probably the best stock clutch I've ever driven with. In comparison, the LGT is soft, spongy and vague on take up. I don't see this cltuch lasting long under sport driving conditions. But then, that isn't what it was designed for I guess. Flywheel design may have something to do with this also. The 5 speed in the LGT isn't bad, and I suspect an STS with bushings will make it comparable to the STi in shifting ease and slickness. Missing that 6th gear something fierce though! Oddly enough, out of the box, the LGT is more neutral on the corners than an STi, as I've found the rear end rotates nicely when pushed. Ajusting pressures on the STi cured and understeer, but it isn't needed on the LGT to date.

9. Braking. Haven't been able to truly test the LGT yet, but I'm sure when compared to the STi it will be found wanting. Initial bite is ok, but pedal force is much higher and no where near as linear as the STi. I've had to readjust my mental stopping distances to account for this. Pads and lines will help, and I hope I don't have to go to a big brake kit to get my needs fulfilled as that will once again limit the wheel selection.

My goal is a sleeper setup, or maybe a WTF was that response. Not sure yet. I like some of the jdm body kits I see out there, but IMHO, they are way to expensive. Eyelids, de-yellowed lights, either a front lip or lower bumper, wider wheels/tires (have not decided on going +1 yet), blackening out the grill, maybe a cf insert for the scoop, and either more subtle mines type rear spoiler or all out STi Spec B spoiler are in the future after the power/handling/braking get sorted out.

Good luck on your choice, and I hope some of this was able to help you out.

Archived