LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT vs WRX... Only 23hp difference???

My mind is pretty much set on an 05 GT wagon (manual), and will be putting the deposit down in a few weeks.

Something has been bugging me though - I drove a a Legacy 2.5i saloon (no wagons available), a WRX wagon, and a Legacy GT wagon - all manuals.

I found the GT was a far superior performer than the WRX, certainly it felt like more than 23hp / 37lb ft, especially given the 200lb weight difference...

Acceleration from rest was noticably better in the GT, but coming onto the interstate and gunning it, the GT felt massivly more potent, and was over the ton much sooner than the WRX was when given the same treatment...

So, was it my imagination :lol: or is the GT slightly under-rated - or is the wrx over-rated? :D

Just curious - I'm buying the GT anyway as the incresed towing weight is just what I need!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Power under the curve - you have to look at the entire power curve to really see the difference between the cars. Peak power is just a small part of the power band. The Legacy is making more torque than the smaller motored 2.0 from idle and on up. It may be only 23hp at peak, but it might be, say, 50hp at 3500rpm that separates them.

It reminds me of tuning the JDM Legacy twin turbo's. I had a fujitsubo exhaust and a friend HKS. The HKS exhaust had more peak hp, but the fujitsubo exhaust yielded about 40 more hp under the peak, at the 3000rpm range. So despite the fact he had more peak power, I was pulling away from him everywhere else except a meager 3-400rpm band of power high in the revs.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.apexjapan.com

Cheers guys, so what times will these things pull on the 1/4 once the motor has freed up after a few miles? The way this one pulled it felt like a very low 14 would be pretty easy...

On paper the engine is identical to the STi - is this the case? Basically, will i be able to find many more ponies from the motor with relative ease once i decide 250lb ft isn't enough? Just thinking out loud for the future!!! :D

I think he was running a boost controller at the time running higher than stock boost.

We do have the same short block as the STi but I believe it end there.

Dunno if he was or not, can't remember. It was that Hodgee guy.

Same heads as the STi as well.

The biggest difference, is the fact that the the wrx is a 2.0 whereas the GT is a 2.5 like the other guys said. The WRX is "advertised" as a faster car. The GT is faster by all means. The deal is though, with AWD and a turbo, it's mainly the driver. If you let the clutch out in 1st gear like your taking it easy, then go to WOT, the difference is night and day. The wrx starts to pull around 3500+rpm whereas the Legacy pulls from 2000+. Think about it though.

Also, the block is the same as the STi's as well as the heads. If I'm correct, the headers are the same as well. The intake, intercooler, and turbo are the biggest differences from an STi to a LGT. I'm actually wondering if you could put those STi parts on a LGT and have them work. Some custom plumbing should be all it needs as well as a little tuning.

• 4 weeks later...

Cruisser, do a search on "Project Legacy is Complete" and you'll find a LGT owner that has already done the STi TMIC, Intake and turbo swap. I think he bought the JDM STi version.

Yeah, the Legacy gives you lots of options. You can keep the sleeper looks while easily modding it to STi (or better) numbers. Check out Trey Cobb's posting on AP Stage 2 figures.

I would not replace the turbo, intercooler, and intake manfiold on the LGT unless you want to run a turbo that is a good bit larger than the stock VF series turbo.

You should find every bit of 300+ WHP with intake, header ( w catless up-pipe), exhaust, and engine management. If you need a bit more a VF22's exhaust housing should bolt on and make a little more power.

Perhaps I just got a dud then... I feel that my 02wrx pulled harder than my LGT.. theres a road that I take where I often have to pass someone whos doing 30 mph.... dropping my WRX from 4th to 3rd felt like it pulls harder than my LGT doing the same maneuver.... my WRX felt faster 1 thru 3rd all the way around.... so I'm a bit surprised about what you guys are saying... now on the highway the LGT def. would smoke the WRX... also the powerband felt much longer in the wrx 1-3rd gears...

Guest *Jedimaster*
I think the reason your WRX felt like it was faster is that the suspension and short wheelbase tend to feel harsher- while this car just cushions you as you put the pedal down.

Yeah I can second that..coming from an RX-7 where you felt everything and when you were going 60mph it felt like you were goin 60..In LGT due to lux tendancies, ride is soft and comfy so when I drive it, I look down at the speedo and Im like "Oh shit I didnt realize I was goin 80!"

Guest JessterCPA
I think the reason your WRX felt like it was faster is that the suspension and short wheelbase tend to feel harsher- while this car just cushions you as you put the pedal down.

+1

My Jetta 1.8t "felt" faster. It was just more jittery & nervous at speed. The LGT just cruises & swallows speed.

well it makes sense I guess.... I kinda liked the g's pushing me back in my seat in the WRX.... from a 0-(whatever) launch I used to be able to make my girlfriend head spin....LMAO just thinking about it... she used to grab the "oh shit" handle and she'd get all dizzy and start screaming.... stop! stop!..damn that was funny... I havent tried in the LGT yet. I havnt even tried a serious launch.... guess I'll have to take her for a ride this weekend to see what happens...

Archived