LegacyGT.com

legacy gt vs. legacy gt spec b

tschad

ive been wanting a legacy since i was 16, i am now 21 and im still in love with the car as much or more than i was at 16. ive been looking at purchasing one but i had a few questions that i was hoping you guys could help me out on. by the way im not planning on buying the new body style.

what are the major differences between the gt and the spec b?

is it worth spending the extra money on a used spec b versus a regular gt?

if you guys could help me out with some insight i would greatly appreciate it.

this is my first post. looking forward to being part of the legacy community. thanks.

There are a gazillion LGT's out there, so you can easily find one.

There are very few spec B's out there, so you'll likely have to travel to find one or wait or pay way, way more.

From memory:

spec B: aluminum suspension pieces, upgraded shocks, torsen rear diff instead of viscous, 6 speed instead of 5 speed, different interior (depends on year), nav (depends on year). 18" wheels vs 17.

Is it worth it? You have to answer that question yourself.

Hey Chad, welcome to the site. I'm writing this based on the assumption that you're interested in a pre-owned car regardless of whether it's a Spec B or GT. If it's a 2010 GT vrs 2009 Spec B that's a different conversation altogether.

If I were going for a Gen 4 car I'd get the Spec B, hands down (if money isn't the major issue).

At 21, there's a lot to be said for exclusivity. You could build a GT to be every bit as good or better than a Spec B but it still wouldn't be one. And your chances of running into another one when out with friends is low - a plus.

What part of the country are you in?

Pete

Here's a link to the one that's available about 100 miles away from me in Los Angeles on Autotrader.com (it's in Bakersfield):

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=275358630&dealer_id=100018090&car_year=2008&rdm=1275184465503&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=100&model=LEGACY&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2005&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&body_code=8&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=100&marketZipError=false&color3=&color2=&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&make=SUB&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=10000&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&position=top&position=top&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=yearDESC&address=91775&advanced=&end_year=2009&transmission=&doors=&max_price=40000&cardist=108&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

This one is at a Carmax 200 miles away:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=278684647&dealer_id=100007118&car_year=2008&rdm=1275184816781&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=100&model=LEGACY&make3=&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2005&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=8&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&model3=&model2=&color3=&color2=&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=101&make=SUB&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=10000&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=91775&advanced=&end_year=2009&pager.offset=100&transmission=&doors=&max_price=40000&cardist=212&standard=false&rdpage=thumb

There are a gazillion LGT's out there, so you can easily find one.

There are very few spec B's out there, so you'll likely have to travel to find one or wait or pay way, way more.

From memory:

spec B: aluminum suspension pieces, upgraded shocks, torsen rear diff instead of viscous, 6 speed instead of 5 speed, different interior (depends on year), nav (depends on year). 18" wheels vs 17.

Is it worth it? You have to answer that question yourself.

that is correct as well as a r180 rear end in comparsion to the gt's r160

My theory on this is if your going to leave it stock and not track/autocross it the gt is the way 2 go. (financially that is)

If you want to upgrade it and race it, then its worth the extra money for a spec b instead of having 2 replace the gears/other things on the gt if/when they break

• 2 weeks later...
How does the insurance compare from a GT to a spec b? I went from a 01 OBlimited to the 06 OBXT and my premium changed only $14 a year lol. But when I looked at the evo or sti my quote was in the $600 a year range more. Just another thing to consider. Goodluck!

The main thing that got me was the Specb interior and the bigger wheels. I had one comment question on the interior at the shell station the other day... is that custom or stock interior and last year nice wheels where did you get them... well they are stock... the guy was very suprised the hear that.

How does the insurance compare from a GT to a spec b? I went from a 01 OBlimited to the 06 OBXT and my premium changed only $14 a year lol. But when I looked at the evo or sti my quote was in the $600 a year range more. Just another thing to consider. Goodluck!

not sure the difference between lgt and spec but compared to my spec.b a wrx was twice as much and an sti was 3 times as much

not sure the difference between lgt and spec but compared to my spec.b a wrx was twice as much and an sti was 3 times as much

so my 3500 a year for my legacy would be about 10,500 a year jeeez. (i have a million dollar umbrella)

lgt ftw

And some tickets and accidents for that price!!!!!! :lol: DAAAAYYYUM!

$3500? :eek: How young are you and what have you done!?!?!? :p

:whore:

I live on long island which has high rates and I'm at barely over 1.1k a year.

+1, I'm in Orange County that has high rates (but I'm over 25 and have no accidents) and I'm paying 1100 for FULL coverage for my LGT (hurray for Wawanesa).

I'm going to agree that if you're going to autocross it then go for the Spec B, otherwise you may not notice too much difference.

Also the 06 Spec B had a custom brick red leather interior (which I think looks awesome) and 5 speed (the 6 speed was 07+)

Unless I see some awesome prices on a fully loaded Genesis Coupe or G37, my next car will probably be a 2009 LGT :)

The 2010's have a different transmission that is not proven at high power levels. The spec.b has the STi transmission that has been successful in handling much higher power than the 5-speeds in the wrx and old LGT.
lol

The 6spd is what sold me on the spec.B. I love knowing that I'll never have to worry about putting too much power through it. The nav, wheels, bilsteins, alcantara, re050a was all just icing on the cake. Although at this point I have already replaced the bilsteins (only because I broke one), will be changing tires soon (probably advan or dunlop) and will be changing wheels in the distant future. But I have enjoyed the stock wheels/tires for the past 3 years... epsecially considering the alternative ... RE92s? :(
lol

The six speed is great in the spec B. The Navi on the other hand is terrible. I hate the navigation system in my spec B. The set up is totally confusing, the clock is about the size of the word "clock", it tells me to turn left about 5 seconds before I actually have to turn, it is slow to calculate, picks the most round about directions, I can go on for hours. Believe me I am not at all unhappy that I got a spec B. But I think I would have been better off buying a GT and just replacing the transmission. I already changed the tires to wider 235 tires and replaced the stock bilsteins with coilovers. Just think about what you want and go with it.

How much does a tranny swap cost? Honest question. I have always assumed that it is not cost effective to do a swap on a LGt vs just buying the spec.b to begin with.

Even if it were cheaper to do the swap, if you get spec.b you could sell the stock wheels + tires after buying the car for $1k+. The tires alone are $800 new. How much could you sell stock LGT wheels and RE92s for? lol. Then you have the interior which is pretty hard to find used...

lol

:whore:

I live on long island which has high rates and I'm at barely over 1.1k a year.

well ive had 2 reckless tickets no accidents and im 21, but the biggest factor on why my insurance is so high is i have a million dollar umbrella

Archived