LegacyGT.com

Is the Legacy GT for me?

I was wondering you guys could help with deciding if the Legacy GT is for me. I am going to have about $8,000 to play with at the summers end when I get back from basic training and tech school and I want a new car, I have considered an EVO/STi for the following reasons; raw power, they can handle with porsches, well they are just an all around nasty machine however with that come issues I'd rather not deal with but just may have to for the sake of having one of the best performing cars out there. I considered a regular WRX because it was a cheaper alternative, more comfortable to own because it's cheaper however it is a very boring looking car stock, I considered an SRT-4 as well because they are cheap, make great horsepower and I think they look nice, however with any rear wheel drive or front wheel drive car I worry about winter, 300+whp sucks in snow.

The fear I have of an all wheel drive vehicle is that you have to be very finicky when driving it, very gentle it almost seems out of fear of breaking something, I would not be launching the car but I love to shift and drive aggressive, I love winding roads and unleashing on them, I fear that a Legacy GT wouldn't be able to take my driving style but on the other hand though it does not happen that often, I just really wish I had a more comfortable vehicle, and I some times picture a 2am drive home hitting bumps and such in an EVO/STi as a MAJOR pain! I hate late light driving but I often do it and ugh being in a crap car, your tired and you just want to get home asap. I also fear that out of the sake of power I'd get a Legacy GT and then say DAMN I should have gotten the STi because I am more of the performance side guy than luxury but in the same sense if I could make the GT as quick as a stock STi I think I'd be liking it JUST as much without the horrible ride jarring of it, does Cobb Stage 2 apply the Legacy GT? Are these cars strong to mod? the transmissions etc etc? I wouldn't mind having a GT with some nice wheels and run with stock STi's... that would be pretty impressive not to mention I heard the Legacy GT outhandles a WRX. I wonder how coilovers would improve the handling.

I mostly fear having one of these cars and then something expensive brakes, buying a used EVO/STi that is very possible as is with a DODGE, though the SRT-4 is sweet. I just wonder if my drive style and awd go together of if the harder driving should be left up to a front wheel or rear wheel drive car, I just remember having my Explorer and how nice it was being able to go out in a snow storm when everyone else was stranded. What do you guys think? I'd like to stay lower on price $19-22,000 or so for whatever I go with used. Plus with a GT I wouldn't have to be so skeptical when shopping because typically there not bought to BEAT on like STi/EVOs

yes...haha

being a legacy owner of course im going to encourage you to get one.....

you want higher performance/spirited driving....check

comfort and a relaxing drive.....check

hitting the twisties....check

police not giving you a second look....check

and with an uppipe/downpipe/tuner(cobb) some wheels/tires and spring/coilover combo you'll be set before the mod bug.. strikes again....

- you are gonna get raped by insurance company if you own a WRX STi or EVO

- if you love shifting aggressively, you probably shouldn't get any subaru with manual transmission

- yes cobb has a stage 2 kit for the legacy

if you have enough $$$, i would recommend a automatic GT with stage 2.

This Space For Rent

You're not going to break parts even at 300whp unless you really try to. You can't manhandle the syncros while jamming a 1-2 or 2-3 shift. Other than that, the transmission has been proven to be quite stout.

I've owned quite a few turbo AWD cars in the past 15 years and I really like the LGT.

It's not that I love shifting hard or fast but isn't a good 1/4 mile time dependant on how fast you get through the gears? I mean on the street sure I'd be an aggressive driver but I'm not going to be competing for fastest shifting award lol, I just would think that hey, almost to redline, SHIFT and get into the next gear quicker, but not if it's going to break stuff I guess I just fear I will have to shift the car SLOW like a 1-2 count shift instead of just a... clutch push into gear. or am I crazy? I think when it comes down to it, it's either used EVO or used Legacy GT. I don't want an automatic. HOW capable are these cars in handling, does anyone have track time comparissons? Like Nurhmburg (I cant SPELL IT!) like the STi/EVO has? A buddy of mine has an RSX Type S and NO WAY IN HELL can I underperform him, I am too hardcore to be in a slouch car.

I just want a car that is nimble, something I can throw around, something that I can be in and feel like HEY IM NOT SLOW!... I just was never a Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, ride comfort, automatic transmission, all kinds of features type guy. I want something that isn't boring, something that can contend, something that could be classified as a higher performance car. I don't want to make a mistake and get into something regretting it. I love EVO's but what would it take to get a Legacy GT to run with a stock STi/EVO ? not suspension wise but power wise. If I lined up with a stock STi/EVO from 10mph it'd be damn near neck and neck. Cobb S2 accomplish that?

I've had a tough time deciding whether to get a Leg GT, STi, or Evo also. I've owned a WRX for 2 years, and I couldn't do another 3 or 4 in the same quality interior, as I've gotten older (I'm 26 now), I seem to appreciate a more comfortable/quiet cabin. Barring that: here's my dilemma:

Leaving out fit/finish and comfort...

1. STi/Evo will outhandle it easily. To get suspension & brakes up to those levels, you could easily spend $3K or more

2. Cobb Stage 2 will cost you about $1500 to get to, and you'll likely be putting down about 250WHP (anyone care to pin an exact number to this?), putting you pretty close to STi (stock) territory.

3. The crisp, bulletproof STi and Evo transmissions make my wife's Leg GT seem a little wanting. Still good though, just not as great.

4. A new Leg GT will run you around $25,500. Then, you can take the $5K difference and go nuts on mods. I'd start with uppipe and downpipe, catback, upgraded brake pads, sways, and an AccessPort.

For stage 3+, new brake rotors & lines, a deadbolt 20G, TMIC, injectors, fuel pump, coilovers, and you've got a car that's just as nimble and trackable as a stage 2 STi, for the low low price of about $10K total in mods.

If you're planning to leave stuff close to stock, picking up a used STi or Evo is a tempting way to go. Just be ready to feel too "grown up" for the interior quality soon. I drive a "bugeye STi" (posermobile), and I'm pretty tired of the attention. "Hey, is that an STi?" is fun for about 2 months. A sleeper sounds better and better every day.

I dream at night of the '07 Spec B, mmm... 6 speed tranny...

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

someone posted a video of a modded GT vs EVO. the EVO guy gave up eventually. i say go test drive both 5MT and 5EAT Legacy and see which you like better. IIRC, 5EAT stg2 > 5MT stg2 in 1/4 mile.

This Space For Rent

^ That was a pretty aggressively modd'ed LGT, though.... ;)

brhays and JohnM have basically said all that I wanted to say. :)

LegacyGT4, I would base your purchase decision on exactly what kind of vehicle you "want" to be in - as well as consider your final end-point.

If you're content to run with stock EVOs or stock STis/STIs, a Pro- or StreetTUNEd or ECUTek'ed LGT, with just an aftermarket UP/DP combo, will easily put down more power than the former, and will hang right with them, if not outright head them off to both the 60 and 100 MPH mark. Add in the aforementioned suspension upgrades, and you can easily end up with a vehicle that's just as tight handling and "slottable."

However, if you're looking beyond the stock Evo or STi/STI, then you should know that costs for upgrading the LGT beyond such levels - i.e. to match a "Stage II" STi's/STI's performance, will present increasingly greater disparities in terms of dollars spent per performance returned. For example, a $750 custom ECUTek tune (including dyno time), plus an UP/DP combo to the song of some $600, plus an intake that was about $200 ( new - but I bought used, at the cost of only $75 ;) ) - all that was necessary to get me basically just north of what a stock Evo MR or STI/STi could do; but at the same time, just a simple $350 reflash of said same Evo MR gave it another 20% more wHP than I was putting down....

The LGT presents a different driving experience - and different image - than either of the two more "boy-racerish" vehicles cited above; it's almost two different "genres" of vehicles. And while there certainly is an absolutely undeniable difference in the dollar-per-performance ratio when comparing these vehicles, I truly still think that anyone considering cross-shopping should also look at these vehicles on a much more subjective level, and go with their heart's desire. :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I got my 06' LGT in February, and I love it, and you don't get the stares and glares that you get with the "boy racers". You can easily get it into the low 13's, but to go lower costs $$$. My insurance doesn't seem bad with it, and most people don't know what they can do, kinda sleeper-ish.

When I test drove mine, I must have put 30 miles on it. I enjoyed driving it sooo much that I just wanted to keep going.

Drive the cars, check your insurance rates for each one, and get the one you want. You might have to search for a used LGT, because there aren't too many around, and they will go fast.

I hope you get the one you want! :)

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

lgt hands down. lgt is a much nicer ride on the highway and i believe is more aerodynamic then both the sti and evo. lgt def can be made to perform like stock sti and evo for not too much money. lgt hits 60 in 2nd gear while sti requires a 3rd shift. this makes the lgt a monster for traffic light racing even stock. money you save on insurance will pay for mods easily. lgt usually isolates you from the compact import crowd. lgt much classier and hot chicks love heated seats and leather. lgt can be bought for much less then both sti and evo and tons more creatur comforts. aparently you havent driven a lgt becuase you would have bought it already. do not test drive one until you have $$$ to buy it. trust me!!!!

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

6-speed transmissions are overrated imo. Extra weight.. extra shifting.. not really that huge of a benefit over a 5-speed. The LGT insurance is cheaper than even a regular WRX.. much less than an STi or Evo.

I got my LGT for $26k out the door, and I've put a few grand into it and with a little bit more (once I decide what suspension I want), it will outhandle and be faster than a stock STi for a little bit less in money spent. I also have not seen another red LGT sedan around here.. I see WRX's everywhere, however. It's kind of nice having a more unique car that doesn't cause all the riced out cars to want to mess with you.

It's ultimately up to you, though. Sometimes I have STi or Evo envy, but once I get my suspension done, I don't think it will be as bad. :lol:

It is just so difficult for me to decide, I mean being tired and beat by the week makes you wish you had the Legacy GT ride, but then when your feeling great you say AHH to hell with the fact that the EVO has a bumpy ride, it's an EVO. I think the biggest issue I have with buying a used STi/EVO and the issue makes wanting a LGT that much more is the fact that searching for the "right" EVO/STi is going to be a project mixed with prayer that I didn't buy something that has been launched and driven like an idiot. With the Legacy GT I will be able to find a good mileage/price, get a quick check up and be confident it wasn't hammered on. I have mixed feelings about the car probobly right now because I have not driven one and in pictures it looks kinda bulky and boaty... I'd definately get the mod bug. EVO is so tempting but reliability is an issue, then you look at the STi as a better choice but EVERYONE has em'... the Legacy GT I have gotten, nah don't get one of those there plain. I just really like power and I don't want to regret my choice but in the same sense, having the EVO then noticing my gear is grinding, typical issue with them... well that sucks.

the lgt is actually smaller then you think. bout the same size a a 97 accord 4 banger. length and width wise. the lgt is not bland. its extremely subtle. think chip foose. the lines are extremely clean. a car person can appriciate it. even a common person realizes hey wtf was that. looks like ???, but something about its just nicer. it not boaty at all. a lex es300 is. this is a compact sedan no doubt. FYI the lgt has the same engine as the sti- minus ecu, turbo, and some other misc things. like is said before IF YOU TEST DRIVE IT YOU WILL BUY IT. move the seat up and buckle up cuz its going to throw you back. remember to tell the sales person to shut up if they are with you. :)

will somebody who lives near this guy meet up with him and put an end to this already!

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

...I also have not seen another red LGT sedan around here.. I see WRX's everywhere, however. It's kind of nice having a more unique car that doesn't cause all the riced out cars to want to mess with you./quote]

+1^10 Yeeeeesss! Sorry just had to add that... :lol: Back on topic...

You just need to go DRIVE all of these!!! I know it's a hard decision and everyone around you has their own opinions which may conflict with yours, BUT JUST GO DRIVE EACH ONE!:icon_bigg Then decide. Don't question your thoughts anymore, go drive, then report back. :)

My best story about my GT? Buddy wants a Caddy. Used CTS runs about $26k or so. Says the Legacy is a Japanese car and he wants something thats classy and fun to drive. Hmmm, have you EVER driven or sat in an '05 Legacy my good friend? No you say??? :confused: Well, come along for the ride... He drove it for 5 mins (I'm not $hitting you either, 5 mins was all it took) and he asked me to hook him up. Brand new '05 GT LT MT Sedan Black/Taupe with no spoiler was $23.9K (after rebate but before TTL) and that's easy to do right now. This was one month ago! Are you interested yet??? :icon_tong:icon_bigg:lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

LOL that'd be nice, well would it be that difficult to get the bigger turbo, reflash the ECU and find out what those misc things were to get the same power? Just an idea I guess, I wish I could find some videos of a modded LGT bombing around town, or even some decent clips, it's just really hard to picture this car rolling with that boxer rumble considering it's classy look. I heard the stock top mount on the LGT was actually more efficient in cooling than the STi's. I'd really like some vids though every time I look for them I get all kinds of random crap from the search that I don't want. This is what I would probobly do right off the bat:

Paint and powder coat the stock wheels black

20% Tint all around

Turbo back, because I don't want to LOOK stock but I also don't want to sound stock and I can't dump all kinds of cash right out of the box either.

Def LGT,i just bought an 05 in Feb. n i love it. i am coming from a stang GT, cobra, and SHO. was looking for well rounded performance car to get to work (snow) and to go play in. this car does both and well. it not as fast as i would like but that will change in time. got the mod bug but still broke from buyin the car. either way still beats my friends 04 wrx, 04 accord, and beats the crap out of ones brand new is250 ( he has more buttons though). if you are similar to me n want performace as well as a nice comfortable car you will get the lgt. same as above - dont drive it before you are ready to buy it, cause you will

spicish 22 ill take both those girls please! my friend lives in chadds ford, pa.

legacygt4 i think it is agreed that the lgt actually makes a lil more power then subaru says. under normal everyday driving they are close in performance stock for stock. obviously racing the sti has the advantage.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

6-speed transmissions are overrated imo. Extra weight.. extra shifting.. not really that huge of a benefit over a 5-speed. The LGT insurance is cheaper than even a regular WRX.. much less than an STi or Evo.

True about the insurance. I just traded my VW R32 for a spec.B, but I also looked at the STi just because I could afford it as well. I looked at insurance and if I bought the Legacy, it would have gone down ~$400/year, and for the STi it would have gone up ~$400/year.

I also think the 5MT is just fine for the LGT's power curve. It's not a peaky motor, so the extra gear isn't *really* necessary.

Our Audi A4 Avant 2.0T has a 6-sp... in that case it's necessary because the car weighs about 3700 lbs. It would be a dog with a 5-sp.

was it a limited GT with tax for 26k?

I got my LGT for $26k out the door, and I've put a few grand into it and with a little bit more (once I decide what suspension I want), it will outhandle and be faster than a stock STi for a little bit less in money spent. I also have not seen another red LGT sedan around here.. I see WRX's everywhere, however. It's kind of nice having a more unique car that doesn't cause all the riced out cars to want to mess with you.

It's ultimately up to you, though. Sometimes I have STi or Evo envy, but once I get my suspension done, I don't think it will be as bad. :lol:

Hm, I have sti's short throw and momo shift knob and I think lgt is fast enough for me. Most of the time I get to 60 in 2nd gear and have to put it in 5th right away cause I try to follow speed limit rules LOL

Archived