LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT Brake Bleeding

jc51373

Just wondering how involved the process is to bleed the brakes on these cars. Do you need any special tools? I ordered my Goodridge SS lines, and have a friend (former Lexus tech) ready to install them. He was just curious to know how involved the bleeding process is on Subarus since he has not worked on them before.

Any help appreciated. THX!

:munch:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A tech should have no problem. There is NO special dealer tool for bleeding the ABS like some cars require.
This is incorrect. For doing to proper bleeding procedure a SSM is required for engaging ABS test sequence.. in other words - god help you if you get air in the abs unit, or worse yet, it was never bled properly anyway.

This is incorrect. For doing to proper bleeding procedure a SSM is required for engaging ABS test sequence.. in other words - god help you if you get air in the abs unit, or worse yet, it was never bled properly anyway.

So which is it? I need the tool, or I do not? Who knows the most here??? :)

And how much is this alleged required tool?

My service tech (an avid racer even though he works at Subaru) told me no tool required, I did it myself, no problems.

Many others here have done the same with no problems.

Where does it make mention of this tool in the manual? Does it bleed the ABS better then "our" way? If it does bleed it more thoroughly, how much of a difference are we talking about, replacing 95% of the fluid vs 99%?

The LGT system flush is the same as any car.

I wouldn't worry about flushing the ABS unit. The only times that I would flush the ABS unit on other cars was when I changed fluid brands (like from Valvoline to ATE, or vice-versa). In the past, I would do it the "poor man's" way. which was to flush the system, drive the car out on the dirt road behind my house, engage the ABS a bunch of times, then go flush the brakes again.

Eventually I discovered a $55 Thexton tool, that worked on my Ford product, that opened the valves in the ABS controller and saved me the "dirt road run". I haven't looked, but there may be such a tool available for these cars (far cheaper than the factory untis that go for many hundreds of $$$, typically)

Info for Motive Products Bleeder folks: With my Motive pressure bleeder, I had to use the Unversal fitting for the m/c, as the fitting that Motive specified wasn't correct (I happened to already have the adaptor that they list).

Ron

Here's the only two tools I use when bleeding my brakes. Works fine every time.

For bleeder screw - fine tooth reversible ratchet/open end wrench (in 8mm size IIRC - might be 10mm):

http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/009/42426/00942426000-dlv.jpg

For filling/pressuring the master cylinder:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/images/magnum.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

+1!!

I have no connection to Motive Products other than being an extremely satisfied user, but their Pressure Bleeder is THE ONLY way to flush your brake system, and I have tried about all other methods (my old vacuum bleeder now functions as a good suction pump for tranny and diff fluids!!).

Ayone interested should go to:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

Ron

Here's the only two tools I use when bleeding my brakes. Works fine every time.

For bleeder screw - fine tooth reversible ratchet/open end wrench (in 8mm size IIRC - might be 10mm):

http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/009/42426/00942426000-dlv.jpg

You need 8 and 10.. definitely not a 15..

+1!!

I have no connection to Motive Products other than being an extremely satisfied user, but their Pressure Bleeder is THE ONLY way to flush your brake system, and I have tried about all other methods (my old vacuum bleeder now functions as a good suction pump for tranny and diff fluids!!).

Ayone interested should go to:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

So do I need this thing? I just don't want to buy some tool for $20 that I don't know how to use and that I am never going to use again. My friend (the lexus tech) has all the wrenches and what not, but not this bleeder thing.

I'm a tech for Mercedes and we have a little pump that screws onto the reservoir that keeps the system pressurized and adds fluid into the reservoir accordingly.. start from the wheel that's furthest from master cylinder, crack the bleeder screw an let it come out til there's no more bubbles/dirt/grime.. an work your way closer an closer.. btw.. be careful, brake fluid destroys your paint.

Archived