LegacyGT.com

Legacy Aftermarket Oversight

I was just going to share some thoughts with you on what I have observed with the new Subaru Legacy. Subaru seems to have finally found their calling in the automotive industry- cheap speed. It all began with the WRX, the car that everyone in Japan said wouldnt work in America. However, with a leap of faith, Subaru did that and they had an instant sales hit. Now with this new Legacy they have followed in the same footsteps as the WRX- bring us over something along the lines of what Subaru has been offering in Japan for years. It is fast, good looking, capable, and I consider myself highly priveledged to have this car. But it seems as though the Legacy aftermarket is lagging behind that of the WRX aftermarket. I could be wrong since I do not know how long it took for the US WRX aftermarket to sprout up, but in terms of the Legacy, the more grown up car, it seems as though the only equipment available is in Japan for very high prices. Is anyone concerned that the US aftermarket will not even begin to come close to the Japan aftermarket for the new Legacy? Hopefully, based on the rumors I hear that the 2006 WRX will have the same motor as the Legacy, we can expect things to pick up by then since what works on the WRX will work on our Legacies. Just thought I would share with you my opinion. Hope I dont need a flame suit.

Yeah, you gotta give it time. I was an early adopter of the WRX, and at the time I got mine the WRX had been out for around a year acutally. Even then their were few parts to choose from, a couple uppipes, a couple downpipes. the Turbo XS utec was non existent, only a unichip. Bigger turbo's and fmic's were super rare, and if you did find one it would be an import from japan and most likely a moddified one from another car. The LGT has only been out for about half a year now, but I see signs of parts being developed and I think by next spring we will have a few downpipes to choose from, a few cat backs to choose from, and hopefully a few ecu's to choose from. This stuff just doesn't happen over night as the tunners wait for enough legacy's to be in the market or else they would loose money.

Just have some patience. It takes time for product development, but the Legacy is getting the attention it deserves. It took 18-24 months from the introduction of the USDM WRX to get a lot of the engine manangement options on the market. We've already got an ECUTek flash, with Cobb (AP) and TXS (UTEC) nipping at their heels, less than six months after the first USDM cars hit the market. If anything, good Legacy parts will be available sooner after launch than WRX products were.

OK, not sure if u're new to 'performance' subarus but this is the lo-down history of performance subarus. the wrx has been around for about 10 years now.Even the USDM EJ20 in that wrx is an evolution from the years yonder. Naturally, aftermarket parts have grown over the decade and when the USDM wrx arrive eventhough it is 'different' from the JDM and other world market WRX, it is essentially the same basic WRX. So it is just a matter of importing the already matured WRX aftermarket parts to USDM market. Not so with the legacy. The performance Legacy evolved differently than the WRX. It had the EJ22 water-cooled turbo engine. Then it evolved to a twin-turbo setup which we never get to enjoy here. Now Subaru brings in another Legacy turbo with totally different turbocharged engine as the prevous model (EJ20 TT vs EJ25T). So obviously aftermarket parts for eacy engine life cycle is different not to mention the chassis/suspension bits since each iteration is different unlike the Impreza WRX which really had one major change from GC to the GD style. So there, aftermarket parts for Legacy in general is no where as matured as the Impreza world due to its relatively short life-cycle.

More grownups buy Legacies, so the "tuner" types tend to pay less attention to it. I don't think you need a flame suit, as most people on the board feel the same way that you do. I, however, don't think that anyone should buy a car based on "mod potential," or some such nebulous characteristic. Buy it because you like, and can live happily ever after with it in its stock form. But that's just me. And personally, I would LOVE to see the WRX get the 2.5-liter turbo motor. Then people can go buy that car, mod it, and leave us old fogies in peace. :D Kevin

I bought my LGT thinking that I wouldn't mod it. But I knew I would, I mean its got so much potential, and an easy 20whp can be gained just by a ecu reflash. I know some people on the board just bought the legacy to get them from point a. to point b. but I think now I want to be a little more aggressive with it, I am only 25, and was considering the STI but decided to save for a house then get a STI. So I got the next best thing in my mind, a LGT. So I plan on doing some stuff to it to improve what is already good in stock form. Better suspension and more power, and some exterior mods to make it a little more agressive looking. You won't see to many 16 year olds driving the legacy like you find with the WRX, which I think is good. But it doesn't mean we can't have some fun with our cars either. I hope as I get older I never loose my love for cars, and keep driving them hard and racing them. I give a lot of respect to the older people in their 60's still out there on the track racing around.

I work for a subie dealer , and am trying to become a Perin dealer. After talking to them a few days ago, they faxed me the updated price list. It had EVERY part they are producing for the 05 Legacy on it. Here's a few things to tease you guys with: TMIC FMIC Intake(short and cold air) Turbo iinlet tube Injector mod(816cc) Cat-back dual exhaust Catless Downpipe Rad. hoses Sway bars front and rear Endlinks Fuel rails Almost everything they make for the WRX!!!! Most of which will be available in a few weeks. Some of it NOW! Just thought i'd let yall know it's only just begun!!! Mike....

I remember it too 2 years.... yes years... to get aftermarket shocks for my WRX. While coilovers came over fast, basic shocks we not available. Reflashed from ECUTek also took years. Again the operative word is years. The fact that ECUTek already has a Legacy flash available now is testament to all that they've learned from Tuning previous WRX's and STi. The parts for the Legacy are coming out significantly faster than the WRX did in March 2001. Thats for sure. :)
hi to you!

i have no lack of faith in the aftermarket going to catch up. like others have said, the LGT's only been out fr 6 months or so. plus, i'm almost glad there aren't a ton of parts out for it right now. it would just be that much harder to save money and spend it where it needs to go, paying the car off. lol

I definitely, [i]definitely[/i] agree with what you just DM. [quote name='05USdmGTgUy']I work for a subie dealer , and am trying to become a Perin dealer. After talking to them a few days ago, they faxed me the updated price list. It had EVERY part they are producing for the 05 Legacy on it.[/QUOTE]Thanks for posting that! I was really interested in what they were going to offer. I wonder if their dual exhaust will be single tipped or dual tipped... I really want an exhaust like the JDM STi Legacy exhaust without the heavy price.
-ben

Personaly I have been a fan of the Legacy for years. I never cared much for the WRX. I always and still do feel that it screams "Boy Racer" not to affend anyone. But, then again most of the crowd that purchased it met that discription. But, I have always felt that America missed out on the quality and fun of the JDM Legacy. If you feel that the after market is slim for this car.. imagine owning one of the earlier USDMs.. There is more after market support for this Legacy now in the beguing of it's life cycle here in the US..then there was for prior models. It's only going to get better. But, you have to thank Subaru for not going all out with this one, so you WOULD have options to mod. I am going to mod mine..I have mods on the way...but, even we had the pinical of Legacys..some one some where will try to change something on it. B4

hows this for perrin hook ups ;) PS these are perrin MSRP's your prices may vary and this are prelim prices as well they may go up or down dependent on the market and other such forces. Take this as hearsay because i am not a vendor nor do i know any vendors who would give me such information because if they did they would get in trouble and it would be bad mojo. Just put it like this i happened to wander across a spreadsheet that was on a computer while browsing around the internet.. Imagine that. SUBARU LEGACY Item # Description MSRP PSP-ENG-100 LIGHTENED CRANK PULLEY 90+ LEGACY MODELS ALL (H-6 MODELS CALL) $139.99 PSP-ENG-220 FUEL RAIL KIT FOR 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS ONLY (SILVER) $399.99 PSP-ENG-320* INTERCOOLER TOP MOUNT 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS ONLY $TBA PSP-ENG-420* INTERCOOLER FRONT MOUNT 2005+ LEGACY GT MODELS ONLY $TBA PSP-ENG-520 RADIATOR SHROUD 2005+ LEGACY MODELS ALL $TBA PSP-ENG-525BK RADIATOR HOSE KIT 2005 LEGACY MODELS ALL $TBA PSP-ENG-525BL RADIATOR HOSE KIT 2005 LEGACY MODELS ALL $TBA PSP-ENG-525RD RADIATOR HOSE KIT 2005 LEGACY MODELS ALL $TBA PSP-ENG-600 GROUNDING KIT ALL LEGACY MODELS $TBA ASM-ENG-600BK OIL CATCH CAN UNIVERSAL, FITS ALL MODELS $129.99 ASM-ENG-600BL OIL CATCH CAN UNIVERSAL, FITS ALL MODELS $129.99 ASM-ENG-600RD OIL CATCH CAN UNIVERSAL, FITS ALL MODELS $129.99 PSP-EXT-100* UP-PIPE LEGACY TURBO 92-94 (05+ LEGACY GT MODELS OFF-ROAD ONLY) $229.99 PSP-EXT-220* DOWN PIPE NO-CATS 2005+ LEGACY GT MODELS (OFF-ROAD ONLY) $399.99 PSP-EXT-320 EXHAUST SYSTEM CAT-BACK 2005+ LEGACY GT (DUAL MUFFLERS) $TBA PSP-EXT-325 EXHAUST SYSTEM AXLE-BACK 05+ LEGACY MODELS (DUAL MUFFLERS) $TBA PSP-EXT-500* O2 SIMULATOR 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $59.99 PSP-INR-100 SHIFT KNOB BILLET 3 COLOR LOGO PLATES 90-05+ LEGACY MODELS $59.99 PSP-INR-200 SHIFTER ADJUSTABLE 05+ LEGACY ALL MODELS $79.99 PSP-INR-210 SHIFTER ADAPTOR & KNOB COMBO (ENG-200/210) $129.99 ASM-INR-300 COLUMN MOUNT GAUGE POD DUAL 52-60MM FITS ALL IMPREZA & STI $159.99 PSP-INJ-200 NEW 05+/LEGACY GT INJECTORS W/816cc Mod. (Special Pricing) PSP-INJ-205 MOD TO EXISTING 05+ GT INJECTORS 816cc(Special Pricing)CALL PSP-INT-110 PANEL FILTER 2005+ LEGACY GT $39.99 PSP-INT-230BK* INTAKE SYSTEM SHORT RAM 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $199.99 PSP-INT-230BL* INTAKE SYSTEM SHORT RAM 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $199.99 PSP-INT-230RD* INTAKE SYSTEM SHORT RAM 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $199.99 PSP-INT-240BK* INTAKE SYSTEM "BIG MAF" 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS (REQUIRES ECU TUNING) $229.99 PSP-INT-240BL* INTAKE SYSTEM "BIG MAF" 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS (REQUIRES ECU TUNING) $229.99 PSP-INT-240RD* INTAKE SYSTEM "BIG MAF" 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS (REQUIRES ECU TUNING) $229.99 PSP-INT-330BK* INTAKE SYSTEM COLD AIR 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $TBA PSP-INT-330BL* INTAKE SYSTEM COLD AIR 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $TBA PSP-INT-330RD* INTAKE SYSTEM COLD AIR 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $TBA PSP-INT-335BK* INTAKE EXTENSION FOR INT-230 (MAKES INTO INT-330) $TBA PSP-INT-335BL* INTAKE EXTENSION FOR INT-230 (MAKES INTO INT-330) $TBA PSP-INT-335RD* INTAKE EXTENSION FOR INT-230 (MAKES INTO INT-330) $TBA PSP-INT-420BK* TURBO INLET HOSE 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $249.99 PSP-INT-420BL* TURBO INLET HOSE 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $249.99 PSP-INT-420RD* TURBO INLET HOSE 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $249.99 PSP-INT-620 BLOW OFF VALVE KIT 05+ LEGACY GT MODELS $TBA ASM-INT-800 BLOW OFF VALVE VENT TO ATMOSPHERE KIT (FITS INT-600) $TBA ASM-INT-900 FILTER CLEANING KIT INCLUDES CLEANER AND OIL $13.99 PSP-SUS-110 FRONT END LINKS 2005+ LEGACY SEDAN & WAGON ALL $139.99 PSP-SUS-120 SWAYBAR FRONT 22MM ADJ. 05+ LEGACY MODELS $179.99 PSP-SUS-215 REAR END LINKS 2005+ LEGACY MODELS $139.99 PSP-SUS-220 SWAY BAR REAR 22MM ADJUSTABLE 05+ LEGACY SEDAN & WAGON $229.99 PSP-SUS-320 TUNERSPORT SPRINGS 2005+ LEGACY MODELS $TBA

The good new is the short block is the same as the STi so we can go to 18-19 psi of boost and still hold together . We start with STi injectors , a Walbro 255l is cheap if need more fuel. Uppies are here today [ STI parts] , STi down pipes can be used today with a little cut and weld , there is a little wait for cat backs , ECUtek is here today [ some bugs] , Blitz and JDM air filters are here . So for power we can go to a stage 2 STi in the very near future. This is pretty amazing to me. Suspensions will be here by end of the year - some have already used JDM parts.

[quote name='gtguy']Personally, I'm just going to strap a JATO to the top of my wagon. I'll use nitrous for those slow times, like pulling out the driveway, so that I have mAd pOWer all the time. :D Kevin[/QUOTE] BWHAHAHAHHAAH! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='sti_owner']The parts for the Legacy are coming out significantly faster than the WRX did in March 2001. Thats for sure. :)[/QUOTE] I agree. I've been in the business since 1998, and every time a new car comes out, there's at LEAST a six-month lag between the car being on the dealer lots and the aftermarket stuff being on the shelves. As mentioned, there are some new variables in the Legacy equation. This Legacy is a brand-new chassis/engine combo (although the engine is in large part shared with the STi/Forester turbo cars), and is in a market segment the tuner community is not very familiar with. (How many aftermarket shops do you know that cater to the Toyota Camry?) When I'm looking at stuff I could import and sell for the Legacy, I keep thinking: How many Legacies will be sold? How many will be turbo cars? How many of those owners will be parts buyers? I expect that the turbo Legacy will become a cult favorite with those of us who grew up reading Hyper Rev and watching rally racing, but who perhaps have outgrown the WRX or the Evo. (Okay, you got me, I still have my Evo.) So I think the percent of people who modify their Legacies will be higher than for your average mid-size sedan/wagon. But that number is still a mystery. I've been a Legacy fan since forever. (My first car was a pre-Legacy 1980 Subaru DL sedan!) If we can make a market for Legacy performance stuff, Mach V will be right there leading the way. Time will tell... --Dan Mach V [url=www.fastwrx.com]FastWRX.com[/url]

I posted this on another thread but I'll repeat it here. Toyota did it right with the Scion brand. There are all manner of TRD hookup parts available and have been since product launch, especially for the tC. Of course, that car is the boy racer's wet dream. $17k (or less) and stupid cheap TRD mods, like $130 for springs and $90 for sway bars. Ahh, we can dream can't we?:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all! We're taking delivery of our Legacy GT in a few weeks - in fact, we're dropping the Mitsubishi Evo side of the business to focus purely on development of the 2.5 GT. Look for ScoobySport exhaust for the Legacy coming soon! :D Regards, Ken ScoobySport North America / Rally Performance [url]www.rallyperformance.com[/url]

[quote name='gtguy']Personally, I'm just going to strap a JATO to the top of my wagon. I'll use nitrous for those slow times, like pulling out the driveway, so that I have mAd pOWer all the time. :D Kevin[/QUOTE]Chuckling at the thought of Kevin accidently lighting off the JATO before pulling out of the driveway instead of the Nitros. Hope your suspension and brakes are up to the touchdown. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Subietonic']Chuckling at the thought of Kevin accidently lighting off the JATO before pulling out of the driveway instead of the Nitros. Hope your suspension and brakes are up to the touchdown. SBT[/QUOTE] :lol: Kevin

Spend some time in Japan.. you'll see how hot the GT really is (after the death of their Skyline, Supra, and RX-7.. there's nothing much left that is new and affordable for the Japanese market with the Supercar status (sorry, but the NSX is still expensive and just as rare today as it was 14 years ago). The Legacy has been named 2003 and 2004 car of the year.. if you get the chance to look around the Japanese market (and that's what I do anyways since the US market doesnt have much yet), you will see that the car has a good fair share of mods, upgrades, and other goodies. Keefe
Keefe

Archived