LegacyGT.com

LED Brake light bulb comparo

Riderice

I wanted to replace my brake lights with LEDs for the instant-on effect. It seems like when I see other cars with LED brake lights, they really get my attention. So now I have what turned out to be an expensive lesson in LEDs. In general, LEDs will not be as bright as your standard incandescent - this is not always true, optics play a huge role, and it depends on the application. Anywho, here are two different bulbs I tried, hope this saves someone else some money - pics are attached...

The first one I tried had 15 LEDs (9 forward-firing, 6 side). They were about $7.99. It was definitely a little bit dimmer overall, but the 9 forward-firing LEDs were decent. During the day though, I decided the brake lights were not as bright as the stock bulb.

Next I tried to get the most outrageous bulb that would fit in the housing, so I went with this one which had 12 forward-firing, and 48(!) side-firing. And at $29.99 EACH, I figured they would be totally awesome. Well, they are okay I guess, definitely not totally awesome. Brighter and redder than stock, combined with the instant-on of LEDs, they are an improvement for sure. Debatable whether they are worth $60+shipping.

Now I'm thinking that I should've got for these, which have 10 side-firing LEDs, and one super-bright 3-watt forward-firing LED. I bet they would really get your attention since it's basically just one piercing bright light that you could see for a mile probably.

15.jpg.56fb6d3d3294b94c7e0c4ae477601032.jpg

60.jpg.194755642bb3dca6e8d5812b05732000.jpg

229825301_3watt.jpg.c541c98e74e57383688cba4a9d6ad24a.jpg

Your almost on the right track, I am running the same bulbs as you are I have a 05/JDM tails. You have the right bulb wrong color. Behind the red lens the red LED's are getting defused you want white or redish orange LEDs like cars with led tails use. Think of it like this the stock bulbs are clear not red so a bright ass white led bulb will show better behind the red lens of your tail light. I will try to take pix of my ass ( of the car that is ) tonight and show you what I am saying. :lol:

http://superlumination.com/images/auto_bulbs/3157_60smt_w_wm.jpg

I wanted to replace my brake lights with LEDs for the instant-on effect. It seems like when I see other cars with LED brake lights, they really get my attention. So now I have what turned out to be an expensive lesson in LEDs. In general, LEDs will not be as bright as your standard incandescent - this is not always true, optics play a huge role, and it depends on the application. Anywho, here are two different bulbs I tried, hope this saves someone else some money - pics are attached...

The first one I tried had 15 LEDs (9 forward-firing, 6 side). They were about $7.99. It was definitely a little bit dimmer overall, but the 9 forward-firing LEDs were decent. During the day though, I decided the brake lights were not as bright as the stock bulb.

Next I tried to get the most outrageous bulb that would fit in the housing, so I went with this one which had 12 forward-firing, and 48(!) side-firing. And at $29.99 EACH, I figured they would be totally awesome. Well, they are okay I guess, definitely not totally awesome. Brighter and redder than stock, combined with the instant-on of LEDs, they are an improvement for sure. Debatable whether they are worth $60+shipping.

Now I'm thinking that I should've got for these, which have 10 side-firing LEDs, and one super-bright 3-watt forward-firing LED. I bet they would really get your attention since it's basically just one piercing bright light that you could see for a mile probably.

Mr.350

• 10 months later...

I did the interior lights and step lights on my car just a few days ago. I got all the bulbs from ledlight.com. I imagine they will have good lights for the exterior as well...I might try these out.

High mount

http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=7440

Stop light

http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=7443

so the first ones on that page are the ones I got for my brake lights. unfortunately they are red and i was afraid of them being "filtered" by the red lens, im thinking it is going to be dark (have not recieved them yet, but will keep eveyone updated once i get them), I might put these in my blinkers with load equalizers and buy some $25 super white LED's for the brake lights, im not crazy about having red blinkers but it will work for now, i just dont want to throw them out..

i bumped this thread in hopes of some one having experience with super white LED's in the brake light housing to see if it will be alot brighter than the red so i dont have to waste my money if the ones i got suck.... or i might try the super white spider lights, i just need to messure and make sure they will open all the way up in the housing..

btw auto illumination is cheaper than that site..

so the first ones on that page are the ones I got for my brake lights. unfortunately they are red and i was afraid of them being "filtered" by the red lens, im thinking it is going to be dark (have not recieved them yet, but will keep eveyone updated once i get them), I might put these in my blinkers with load equalizers and buy some $25 super white LED's for the brake lights, im not crazy about having red blinkers but it will work for now, i just dont want to throw them out..

i bumped this thread in hopes of some one having experience with super white LED's in the brake light housing to see if it will be alot brighter than the red so i dont have to waste my money if the ones i got suck.... or i might try the super white spider lights, i just need to messure and make sure they will open all the way up in the housing..

Wasn't too expensive at all, for me at least. To each his own I guess. Just trying to help others.

I'll post photos of my LED brake light bulbs tomorrow compared to stock.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

so they came in today i put them in and they were a little brighter than the stock bulbs.. i need one in the 3rd brake light to complete it though.. i may still get the spider lights though, but im not sure how the side angle is going to look..

strange I ordered a super white led and it was half as bright as the red was. id recommend getting red. im waiting for my spider lights to come in now.. ill post pics if they look sick.

aww man really? i got the 24 LED ones too.. they were only 10 bucks a piece.. i just hate how long autolumination takes to ship there producs, i was going to throw the 18 smt ones in the blinkers with load equalizers. I wish some one had posted pics so i didn't waste any more money.. ugh if i have to buy another set from this store im going to scream!

i was also under the impression the spider lights used the same LED's as my 18LED SMT bulbs.. they do say "SMT spider lights" unless im completely mistaken on what SMT is..

also im not sure if my white led is defective or not, it just did not seem as bright like i said 50% less than the red ones, the wires were a bigger gauge and im thinking they were not making good contact with the inside of the housing, ill have to throw it on a power supply and see if i can get it really bright at 12vdc..

this is why i dont buy this crap for my car, all the money i spent on lights i could of added some "power adders". i feel like a ricer now lol

i used to have the 24 smd one.. the one w/ 3 arm. is that the one u got? they are crap... u could barely see it at night, and i have the white ones, which are brighter.

i believe smd and smt is the same thing... just the way people call it.

I've given up on SMD led bulbs.

Flickering, LEDs dying, etc..

Spent wayy too much $$$ testing stuff out from a bunch of different sellers.

All garbage.

What sellers have you tried? I got all of mine from ledlight.com. You might want to try them, so far so good...

I've given up on SMD led bulbs.

Flickering, LEDs dying, etc..

Spent wayy too much $$$ testing stuff out from a bunch of different sellers.

All garbage.

yeah i hear ya.. if these are not decent and are as crappy as everyone says they are then im just going back to stock bulbs..

What sellers have you tried? I got all of mine from ledlight.com. You might want to try them, so far so good...

About going to try them now since my LED licensee plate is flickering.

I went with the following.....

86845-t20-wedge-48-ultra-bright-led-light.jpg.34c92cf6c62e3ee2ee9e6c925a52f8b8.jpg

64532-6-smd-1201-l-e-d-3-foward-3-side-t10-wedge-light.jpg.9e73dbfd3fcee56ce436d30d1c47e486.jpg

hey speaking of the license plate light, how do you get to it? do you have to take the carpeting out from under the trunk lid?

Take off your liscense plate, unscrew the 2 screws hidden behind it, pop out the lower piece of trunk, just pull from one corner and work your way around, and then just pop down the light bar.

sweet thanks for the how to.

still waiting on my spider lights to come in.. i cant say im excited - but curious as to how crappy/good they are going to look, ok maybe im a little exiceted but im not expecting much giving the info in the thread.. ill keep yall updated

sweet thanks for the how to.

still waiting on my spider lights to come in.. i cant say im excited - but curious as to how crappy/good they are going to look, ok maybe im a little exiceted but im not expecting much giving the info in the thread.. ill keep yall updated

Please post pics when you get them in, I'd love to see how they look!

Archived