LegacyGT.com

Learning view.. IAM .5?

speedyblue

Hello. I'm brand new to tuning. I just hooked my new vag-com cable up to my 2005 gt wagon and tried out Learning View. I see the IAM is .5. All other values are 0.

So.. does this mean my car is slightly retarding timing in interest of curtailing knock?

I will also say that I changed my oil myself on Saturday.. it was WAY overfilled from the monkeys at the dealership. Like.. 3 inches past the full mark. I've only gone 15 miles since the oil change.

I'm also in Colorado running the terrible winter gas 91 octane.

Before I did the 'Learning View' I used ecuflash to download the stock rom. Just reading the ECU should not reset the ECU... or should it?

Just wondering if I should be concerned. Thanks!

The reflash set IAM to .5 You need to drive around enough to relearn. Then check IAM.

Done! Yeah apparently 'reading' the ECU also resets it. I took another learning view after driving to and from work (about 18 miles). IAM is at 1. The airflow numbers had some additions and subtractions.. but the other table with the rpms were all zero.

Air flow numbers are rich and lean. But it is how rich or lean and which block that matters most.

The RPM tables are knock correction. Seeing all 0 means the ECU is not pulling any timing due to knock. This is good.

You are learning. Isn't it fun? Why don't they do this kind of stuff in school? Heck tuning is just math. If they taught a tuning class, I would have paid more attention. LOL.

Air flow numbers are rich and lean. But it is how rich or lean and which block that matters most.

So i suppose that if my L-V screenshots always have red (negative) numbers in the Airflow table (the small table at the top) its not good? I aslo have all 0's accross the board for timing being pulled!

JP

• Mega Users
+ or - 5 is the norm. People say that more is bad, but I usually have +8 to +11 in the lower load range even when totally stock. As long as it is not at + or - 15. That's the limit, so if you see that you don't actually know how bad it is.

• Mega Users

Stock with a stock filter I was at -3 up top and 8 to 11 down low. Even after I took apart the inlet and made sure nothing was leaking. I don't know why that would happen.

It looks like he is stock, so correct me if I am wrong, but that should be fine.

Subaru says within 15 is OK. When we tune cars we dial it in. I mean dial it in. Down to 0.2. If its a stock tune and the car is stock, that shows you how far from perfect Subaru is. Wide range of fuels and conditions, so it is very base.

For reference, any change applied to the 40+ box gets applyied to the entire high end maf range. That means that in your case, the ecu is leaning the AFR by 5% for the entire high end maf range..this is fine in a pig rich stock tune, but dangerous in a stage 1 or higher tune (where you normally lean out the mix).

Red (negative numbers) are indicating fuel being pulled in the associated maf range to reach your target (usually 14.7 though some people set richer closed loop values). If you're completely stock, and your filter were to get dirty, it could lead to more negative values as the computer isn't seeing as much air as it expects and thus leans the fuel out a bit to accomodate.

Blue or positive values indicate the computer is adding fuel to cope with more air than expected. Often if you have a leak due to an airbox not being sealed properly or an air filter not being seated right you will see large positive values in the lower maf af correction range. This is due to the ecu getting more air than expected and adding fuel to richen the mixture rather than continuing to run lean.

So blue numbers indicate more fuel being added due to a lean condition where red numbers mean fuel is being taken away as it is running rich in those regions.

You will never get all these numbers at 0. They are able to adjust for a reason. Different fuels and climate conditions mainly. Even if you think you're at or close to 0 in a range because lv shows that, try logging you're current total correction for all driving and you will see that some areas make it go negative while others areas can make it go positive again. If you're on a stock tune don't worry too much about these ranges unless they go into the double digits. Stock fueling is around 9.6 or so in the wot region and even being 10% lean (negative numbers) in the 40+ range will still have you at a wot fueling of around 10.6 or so, which is safe. -.15% in the 40+ range will put you into the 11s which could be too lean but is likely still fairly safe on a stock car.

Archived