LegacyGT.com

Leak after timing belt replacement

- I took my car to a Subaru dealer for a new timing belt on 2013-02-12. (Have the repair order in my hand)

- On 2013-03-13 I took it back complaining of a burning oil smell. They found no leak. (Have this repair order in my hand too)

- Around mid-April I found a split boot on the passenger side half-shaft and grase on the the downpipe. I replaced it. I thought this was the fix. Smell never went away.

- Smell had become gradually worse over time. It always comes from the passenger side. I smell it where I stop after a freeway run, and it only lasted about 30 seconds. By the time I popped the hood the smell was gone. I took to carrying a flashlight hoping to find the leak while it was smelling - never did, until...

- Today (2013-08-16) I found the leak. The bottom edge of the timing belt cover is seeping. Not even enough to drip on the floor. It's dripping onto a section of exhaust right underneath it.

So, given that the labor warranty is 90 days, and I'm past that, but I *did* originally report the issue to them within that warranty period... What are the chances this will get covered under the timing belt install labor warranty? :spin:

Here is the wording of the "burning oil smell" repair order:

Customer reports a burning oil smell coming from the engine area. Customer reports that it started happening after timing belt replacement. Customer reports seeing oil under the intercooler. Customer reports that the smell seemed to be coming from the passenger side. Please check and advise.

Tech reply:

Inspected the vehicle. No oil leaks present at this time.

Ok, forget what I said - the timing belt cover is on the FRONT of the engine. This is leaking on the passenger side. Not timing belt related, it appears. Looking again, trying to get a decent pic...

Stay away from the dealer with a car this old. Any local repair shop should be able to do that in a couple of hours.

Ask around and see you friends and co-works take their cars to for repairs.

What do you have for tools ? My other thought is, if you have a hard time remembering how the engine sits in the car, you may be beter off paying someone to fix the leak...

If you want to try it. Open the hood and look around at you will need to remove, the nfigure out if you still want to try it ?

Do you have the service manual ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have rebuilt engines and transmissions in the past. I have my own workshop etc and I'm in the middle of a frame-up resto of my '87 Bronco. I'm not scared of turning wrenches. 😎

Just looking for a ballpark estimate so I can decide if I can fit the work into mi life right now. I'm at Subaru getting a second opinion and quote. Now, if you tell me it takes an hour to replace the gasket and Subaru quotes 500 then I'll do it myself. If you say it's 3 hours an Subaru quotes $150 then I'll just let them do it. It's all about cost versus time and how much I'd be "paying myself" to do the work versus convenience.

Interesting... Subaru says the valve cover leak is not the problem. I only allowed them 20 mins to look at this morning and they say they think the problem is with the PCV valve/system. They also are concerned with turbo possibly leaking oil / power steering leaking. Going back tues for a more involved Dx.

Why you going to people to find out what's wrong, you have the skills.

Jack up the car pull the bottom cover and take a look.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Never go to a dealer for things like this. When I had mine, they screwed up many things. Take it to a reputable shop.

Do a pressure test on the PS. Or you can just swipe whatever is leaking on the bottom and give it a quick examination and smell. See if it's oil and/or PS fluid.

Why you going to people to find out what's wrong, you have the skills.

Jack up the car pull the bottom cover and take a look.

Well, my original question was about warranty coverage. Then it was about DIY ballpark versus ballpark quote for the valve cover swap. I figured that people who knew about those things could answer in a few seconds. Now that they are saying the PCV system is the potential root cause I'm going to have to pull that apart and check it out.

The car is to old to be covered under warranty.

Get under the car and look up at the valve cover, don't listen to the dealership. You know what your doing, your not a newbie to working on cars.

Yes some of these cars have a stuck PCV but most have a valve cover leak at this age.

My PCV is fine, it rattled when I had it out when I put the new short block in. But here is the VC before.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4731.jpg

I was originally asking about the labor warranty on the timing belt replacement when I mistakenly through the timing belt cover was on the passenger side like a transverse. Brainfart on my part. Gonna take a look at the PCV this afternoon.

Well, I checked out the PCV etc and found the valve cover is really the only problem. Subaru quoted me the deal of the century ($265 to replace BOTH valve cover gaskets)

Gotta say, this dealer and I, we have history, both good and bad. With that in mind they are really going above and beyond to treat me right.

They have the car now. Considering how long it would take me to do that myself... Well, let's just say I couldn't beat that deal with a stick. All theirs.

Yeah, I figured you got a screaming deal. I am a DIY guy too so I will just do the valve cover gasket when I have another project going on. BTW, your clutch replacement video really helped when I did my clutch.

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

Yeah, I figured you got a screaming deal. I am a DIY guy too so I will just do the valve cover gasket when I have another project going on. BTW, your clutch replacement video really helped when I did my clutch.

Glad it helped. :)

Archived