LegacyGT.com

Knock after oil starvation

Hard Knock took place and I realized Engine Oil was Low. This is stock 140K. I changed spark plugs 5 days prior and cleaned the sensor in the SPT Air Intake.

Anyway, I had to pour in a whole quart of Lucas Oil stabilizer to get it to Full. Looks like the knock is weakened.

How do you go about this? :rolleyes:

I've heard good things about Outback Automotive, though I've never been there personally:

Outback Automotive

Performance Tuning, Maintenance, Parts, Accessories, Major Repairs.

253.236.8044 - 9am-6pm Tues-Sat

4054 Auburn Way North

There's also PIA, aka:

Steve's Pacific Import Auto

13311 Pacific Ave S

Tacoma, WA 98444

United States

which I have been to before to drop off parts, they are good people too.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.facebook.com/avoturboworld

If you actually heard the knock you might be screwed. I'm sure you know, but these engines don't like to be low on oil :(

Why did you add stabilizer, why not just add oil?

Oil stabilizer seems like it might thicken up the oil to help deal and lubricate the metals that might be knocking

My 2.5rs started to knock...i added lucas oil to thicken the oil and try to get a few.thousand. ore miles oit of it till i could get a new car. The noise only.got worse. In my opinion dont drive the car. Your only going to make it worse. If it just started you might not need a new crank just a slight polish and new rod bearings. If you keep driving it will only cost more money in the end. Sorry about your luck. Good luck with it

Knock? Valve clatter? Piston slap? I'd get it diagnosed by a good tech first, these engines can make a lot of different noises depending on what did or didn't let go.

Sorry I meant Apex!

So if I don't hear a hard knock is it safe to drive it to the shop? If I do is it safe? I'm cheap. Avoiding tow if not necessary. Car seems powerful.

Sorry I meant Apex!

So if I don't hear a hard knock is it safe to drive it to the shop? If I do is it safe? I'm cheap. Avoiding tow if not necessary. Car seems powerful.

So it sounds like you have started it and driven it since you asked here ?

If you start it and there is now knock. Try driving it slowly, stay close to home.

Either way, start saving your money...

Sorry to sound mean...but you changed the spark plugs 5 day's ago...and NEVER CHECKED THE OIL ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
My 2.5rs started to knock...i added lucas oil to thicken the oil and try to get a few.thousand. ore miles oit of it till i could get a new car. The noise only.got worse. In my opinion dont drive the car. Your only going to make it worse. If it just started you might not need a new crank just a slight polish and new rod bearings. If you keep driving it will only cost more money in the end. Sorry about your luck. Good luck with it

Uhhhh....so, moral of this story is that lucas oil is not helpful...?

I feel like I'm harping on your posts, but seriously man--you are not helpful right now. Your 'advice' is dangerous. Not helpful.

Take some time to learn your new vehicle and then help people out by providing knowledge...

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Dude seriously. How is this bad advice? The OP said he pht lucas oil in his car to whag i assume was to help the knock. I told him i did the same to my old 2.5rs to get a few thousand miles more out of it so i could buy more time to find a new car. The 2.5 i had already was trash so i didnt care. I told the OP TO NOT DRIVE HIS CAR because even with thicker oil and Lucas you can still score the crank with a bad rod bearing. I told him park it now and he might not have to have crank work done. I understand your a mod and probably know a lot about turbo subies. I do not so i ask questions. But i have built 3 N/A subie motors and with my 2.2l gc i won my reginal autocross twice. I also built 2 400hp amc 401's. I know a little something about cars. I dont understand how this is bad advice.

I already had put in the Lucas Oil before the dude said he did it in the past. However, it's good y'all are sparking over this Lucas Oil in a subie because I would have driven it.

Best thing to figure out is whether or not to drain and refill with something other then 10w-30 (in Seattle. In Alaska)

You'll be fine with 10w-30. But if the knock is from bearing damage, its going to do it no matter what oil you use.

what he said.

maybe drain the oil to put the 10w30 and the oil you drained out send to get an oil analysis to help determine what you got going on in there. sure hope some people dont consider this bad advice on my part.

Archived