LegacyGT.com

I'm new here. Have 2 '92 Loyales, 113 K on 1, 212 K on the other. In the process of buying a 2001 Legacy GT. Buying it from a used car dealer, who bought it from an auction. I tried to open the trunk with the key, doesn't work. Tried doors, doesn't work there either. There are 2 keys on the ring, both work in the ignition, neither works the doors.

Question--------- Anybody out there that knows if '01 Legacy has 2 separate keys?

1 for ignition / 1 for door ? or both keyed alike? Trying to figure out how this would come about. Did they lose the door keys?? Did they change the ignition, then lose the door keys? Whether or not the car comes with 2 different keys should shed some light on this. Wonder if Subaru dealer can cut new door keys, for a 4 yr old car.

Any thoughts?

sounds like the lock cylinder in the ignition switch has been replaced or rekeyed, but the rest of the locks weren't keyed to match. A locksmith should be able to key them to match, but you won't be able to lock your doors until you get a key made. Alternately you could buy new lock cylinders from the dealer or aftermarket (if available) and just replace the lock cylinder in the door and the one in the trunk, not sure what your cheapest/fastest option would be.

DKB

They definitelly only have 1 key. I just traded in an 01. Great car!!!! I can say few bad things about it until the center differential went out, which fascilitated getting a new car. Otherwise I would still be driving it and couldn't be happier doing so. Good Luck.

Archived