LegacyGT.com

Key works in ignition but not doors

rmb2485

Just picked up a 98 Legacy GT to relieve my Jeep of daily driving duties. The car has the Subaru alarm system and the guy only had one key and one pager. The pager works fine and locks and unlocks the doors and the key works fine in the ignition, but will not lock or unlock any of the doors or the trunk.

I thought it may be a valet key, but that would at least work in the driver's door. Other possibilities I can think of are the key is worn out and doesn't fit the lock cylinders like it should, or the ignition was changed and I don't have the original key that would work in the doors.

Anybody got any other ideas or possible solutions?

Anybody ever have a dealer order you an original replacement key based on the VIN?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Your best bet would be to go to a locksmith to get a new key cut. There are no chips in the keys, so no need to program them. You can buy a subaru blank and do it that way, or just use a generic.

What does your key say on it, anyway? Black top, or all silver which says "for subaru" on one side? Possibly someone replaced the key and did a crappy job cutting it.

My key has a black top with "Subaru" stamped in it and the metal part has "-X" stamped into it. Is that the original key?

Any idea if the ignition and door lock cylinders would have a code or anything to identify if they are original and / or match each other?

Archived