LegacyGT.com

Key for wallet

Despite being quite pleased with my '05 Legacy GT Wagon, I've noticed Subaru makes it exceedingly easy to lock yourself out of the car. As one who's been locked out many times over the years (that neuron may have died during the college years :) ) I got around it with my last car by keeping an extra key in my wallet. I took the big ole plastic knob at the end of the key and smashed it with a hammer leaving just the slim metal blade of the key with a T at the top to slide into my wallet. It worked like a charm and luckily I never locked both my keys and my wallet in the car. So, I was wondering if that strategy would work with the immobilizer key that comes with the Subaru. I get the impression that in addition to the blade of the key one needs a chip that is imbedded somewhere in the "knob" at the end of the key. Does anyone know how big that chip is? I could conceivably keep the blade of the key and the chip separately (as long as I don't bust it taking it apart. It may be enough to just have the blade (since in most cases I need the extra key because I've locked the keys in the car) but I'd like to be able to drive the car with the "wallet" key. Any thoughts or ideas?

[quote name='jaycee']Despite being quite pleased with my '05 Legacy GT Wagon, I've noticed Subaru makes it exceedingly easy to lock yourself out of the car. As one who's been locked out many times over the years (that neuron may have died during the college years :) ) I got around it with my last car by keeping an extra key in my wallet. I took the big ole plastic knob at the end of the key and smashed it with a hammer leaving just the slim metal blade of the key with a T at the top to slide into my wallet. It worked like a charm and luckily I never locked both my keys and my wallet in the car. So, I was wondering if that strategy would work with the immobilizer key that comes with the Subaru. I get the impression that in addition to the blade of the key one needs a chip that is imbedded somewhere in the "knob" at the end of the key. Does anyone know how big that chip is? I could conceivably keep the blade of the key and the chip separately (as long as I don't bust it taking it apart. It may be enough to just have the blade (since in most cases I need the extra key because I've locked the keys in the car) but I'd like to be able to drive the car with the "wallet" key. Any thoughts or ideas?[/quote] You must be like a surgeon with a hammer..... :P I don't think anyone has given that a "go" yet. There may be a way to disable the auto-lock feature...not sure??
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

:?: Didn't know that Subaru was using "immobilizer" keys. Is this part of the Security Upgrade or is it standard on the vehicle? That would be a nice feature if it's standard. When I pick up a new car, I take the key to my local AAA auto club office and get a nylon key made. What's neat about this key is that it is a sectioned into a credit card size blank of nylon so, once it's cut, it just folds back into the blank and you can tuck it into your wallet just like a credit card. That has saved me on several occasions when ther keys were misplaced or locked inside the car. However, this may be passe now if there truly is an immobilizer chip in the factory key. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='Subietonic']:?: Didn't know that Subaru was using "immobilizer" keys. Is this part of the Security Upgrade or is it standard on the vehicle? That would be a nice feature if it's standard. When I pick up a new car, I take the key to my local AAA auto club office and get a nylon key made. What's neat about this key is that it is a sectioned into a credit card size blank of nylon so, once it's cut, it just folds back into the blank and you can tuck it into your wallet just like a credit card. That has saved me on several occasions when ther keys were misplaced or locked inside the car. However, this may be passe now if there truly is an immobilizer chip in the factory key. SBT[/quote] To the best of my knowlege....there is a immobilzer in the key which is standard.

If you only locked the key in the car, the plastic key would work fine. It might set off the alarm when you open the door with it, but then you could turn it off once you are inside and have access to the keys that were locked inside. if you LOST the keys, a plastic key would be useless.

There is a key lock in prevention feature on the car. It's in the OM but state to take the car to the dealer. As far as the immobilizer....apparently some cars may not have it. If all 3 keys you received look the same (minus the fact that the valet key is grey), you have the immobilizer. If the three keys are different in physical size (plastic end) then you probably don't.

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']There is a key lock in prevention feature on the car. It's in the OM but state to take the car to the dealer. As far as the immobilizer....apparently some cars may not have it. If all 3 keys you received look the same (minus the fact that the valet key is grey), you have the immobilizer. If the three keys are different in physical size (plastic end) then you probably don't.[/quote] BGT - good info. I'll ask the next time I go to the dealer whether this is a new production feature or one that has been dropped? He probably won't know, but he's hungry for Subaru info and will followup on it. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote name='BoxerGT2.5']There is a key lock in prevention feature on the car. It's in the OM but state to take the car to the dealer. As far as the immobilizer....apparently some cars may not have it. If all 3 keys you received look the same (minus the fact that the valet key is grey), you have the immobilizer. If the three keys are different in physical size (plastic end) then you probably don't.[/quote] My understanding is that the immobilizer feature is standard with the GT (wagon at least). Yes, all 3 of my keys are the same size and shape except the valet key is all grey - which tends to reinforce the immobilizer theory. Plus, that's what I was told when I took possesion of the car. The key lock-in prevention is activated by default according to the OM (pg 2-11) but it only comes into effect if the key is in the ignition and the driver's door is open. If those two conditions are true then using the electronic door lock will NOT lock the doors. That would probably reduce the chance of getting locked out but not enough. I think I might try the nylon key concept through my local AAA outlet and maybe crack open the valet key to harvest its chip. I'll post photos of the surgery if and when I do it successfully (or maybe anyway if it turns into an autopsy). I know it's expensive to replace the keys but if it saves me from getting locked out a couple of times it's worth it. Not just the lost time sitting around waiting to be rescued but it always seems to be 35 degrees out with freezing rain when it happens. :( Plus, I really don't need three keys. On the rare occasion that a valet might park my car he can use the regular key. I think the only thing the valet key does on the wagon is keep the valet out of the glove box. That's not real important to me. Thanks for the ideas...keep 'em coming if you got 'em...

[quote name='jaycee'] Plus, I really don't need three keys. On the rare occasion that a valet might park my car he can use the regular key. I think the only thing the valet key does on the wagon is keep the valet out of the glove box. That's not real important to me. Thanks for the ideas...keep 'em coming if you got 'em...[/quote] Except that he can now know your home address, and that you are not home.

I would hesitate to say that you don't need 3 keys. My ranger has a PATS key, which is pretty much the same technology. You need two existing keys to program any more of them. if you lose one, you'll need two remaining to program a replacement. I am trying to assemble all my keys, house, cars, motorcycle, etc. to have a master set made, and kept for emergencies, and having replacements cut from. Subaru may charge a ton for their replacement keys, but there will be key blanks on ebay eventually, as locksmiths gain access to stockpiles of them. And instructions for how to have the computer "learn" the new key's code. It should be similar to the seatbelt chime turn-off process. Turn one "known" key to run for 5 sec, then off, turn second "known" key to run for 5 sec, then off, then insert new key and do the same, or something like that. Something that prevents a theif who may have one of your keys, from programming a blank of his own, but letting the owner, with access to multiple keys (each coded individually) to program additional keys, up to 5 or 7, or something. Disclaimer: this is not instructions. I don't know the exact process for the legacy immobilizer key programming, I am just forwarding a hypothetical example.

[quote name='Sub-attraction']Valet keys usually just limit access to the trunk, glovebox etc. They would need to start the car to park it.[/quote] Yeah. :oops: I guess that power lecture I just got back from kind of moved my mind to another world.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Drift Monkey']Easy solution, don't lock yourself out! Easier said then done...:oops:[/quote] Dude- the car won't lock you out- I tried it the other day- you lock the door with the keys in it and the door open and it unlocks.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']As long as the keys are in the ignition. if the keys are on the seat, or the floor, or console or trunk, the doors will lock just fine. how is the car going to know? it can only tell whether or not the keys are in the ignition.[/quote] I don't remember which one, but there are a few cars which can sense when the key is in the car...well sense the keypad, but usually those are together, so it won't let you lock the doors while they are inside.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']As long as the keys are in the ignition. if the keys are on the seat, or the floor, or console or trunk, the doors will lock just fine. how is the car going to know? it can only tell whether or not the keys are in the ignition.[/quote] Not to sound (too much) like a wiseass, but why would you leave your keys on the seat and then lock the door? You should be more aware of where your keys are :P

[quote name='jedimaster'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Easy solution, don't lock yourself out! Easier said then done...:oops:[/quote] Dude- the car won't lock you out- I tried it the other day- you lock the door with the keys in it and the door open and it unlocks.[/quote] Dude, I locked myself out of the car the other day with the keys in the ignition and motor running! It is possible!!!!1111

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='jedimaster'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Easy solution, don't lock yourself out! Easier said then done...:oops:[/quote] Dude- the car won't lock you out- I tried it the other day- you lock the door with the keys in it and the door open and it unlocks.[/quote] Dude, I locked myself out of the car the other day with the keys in the ignition and motor running! It is possible!!!!1111[/quote] 0wn3d

Archived