LegacyGT.com

K&N Typhoon intake

052.5GT

I just got my typhoon intake for my 05 2.5gt. I bought it from hopupracing.com, priced @ $249.00 with free shipping. Took about 45 mins to install and looks great. K&N claims over 14 HP increase & I believe it!! I can notice a big increase in acceleration and overall performance. If you are looking for a performance upgrade without spending a ton, this is a must.

Only one negative... you can really hear the turbo & Blowoff valve like its sitting next to you!!

Steve

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have any other mods ?

I've heard pro's and con's of aftermarket intakes on this board, your reaction seems to say it is worth it, although it's still expensive compared to some. Any chance you can get some dyno numbers to back up what your butt is feeling, just hearing the turbo might make you think it's faster ??

BTW, hearing the BOV is a definate plus :D

Aftermarket intakes to nothing on a forced induction car. Looks like you butt dyno needs calibrating. Hey Jedi can you help him :)

On what basis can you say that ?

They absolutely definately do something, the question is whether they give you a worthwhile return on the investment. By removing all the plastic of the stock intake, and replacing it with a high flow cone, you will get more air into the turbo. That's why there is a concern that the ECU can not compensate sufficiently and you risk the possibility of running too lean. If you use a high flow K&N or Perrin or whatever, you will get maximun advantage from a custom tune, but even without, there will be some gain.

The issue of an oiled filter is another matter, there are yahs, and nays here too. In my book Cobb are the most noteable Subaru tuners around, and they sell K&N filters, doesn't that say something ?

Aftermarket intakes to nothing on a forced induction car. Looks like you butt dyno needs calibrating. Hey Jedi can you help him :)

That's a pretty bold statement, got anything to conclusively back it up? The greater the restiction in the intake, the harder the turbo has to work to pull in that air. The harder it works, the more it heats the air charge. So turbo cars can (and some do greatly) benefit from a better air intake. The question is, will our Legacy GT's benefit? Our stock intakes are pretty good, but I don't think they are perfect. I wouldn't be suprised if he saw a small gain with a new K&N., especially if other mods are involved. Whether that gain is worth the money is debateable, but to some the increased sound of the turbo and CBV may be worth it.

Jason K.

If you tune for an intake it will help.....don't tune and it won't do much. Overly oiled filter elements will coat the MAF sensor and throw shit off. Properly oiled filters won't cause you any probs.

I haven't heard of 1 single person who had MAF failure after installing an aftermarket intake. I'm starting to question the validity of this statement.

I haven't heard of 1 single person who had MAF failure after installing an aftermarket intake. I'm starting to question the validity of this statement.

Actually a Typhoon on an Rx-8 cause you to get a CEL. It can cause problems....phyisical and/or electrical.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

By removing all the plastic of the stock intake, and replacing it with a high flow cone, you will get more air into the turbo. That's why there is a concern that the ECU can not compensate sufficiently and you risk the possibility of running too lean.

So according to that, if you completely remove the intake and slap a filter onto the turbo. The engine would lean out?

WRONG. The ECU is looking for a certain boost level. Once it attains this level it adjusts the wastegate to keep it steady. Then it adjusts injector rates to keep the AF within specified ratios. Our injectors should be able to out squirt our turbo. So basicly, once you transfer from vaccum to boost, the intake doesn't do squat, as long as it is physicaly capable of moving the required CFM...which the stock intake is more than capable of.

OK, yes, an Intake may help you for the 500rpm that you are still under vaccum when you floor it. But is paying $170 ($250 - the $80 for the filter = $170) really worth a couple hundred rpms of marginly better flow?

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Actually a Typhoon on an Rx-8 cause you to get a CEL. It can cause problems....phyisical and/or electrical.

Sorry lemme restate:

I haven't heard of 1 single failure on an LGT from an aftermarket intake. I know the oil is bad for the MAF sensor... I had a 2k4 Maxima that went into limp mode 2 seperate times after the MAF sensor went bad from my K&N. But has this issue happened yet to any Subarus? Some MAF sensors are more prone to this type of failure. I'm just wondering if Subaru's are imperveous to this type of thing.

I have heard of STi's getting 10 HP from the Typhoon intake. I used to agree with the common thought that aftermarkets don't do anything on a mostly stock car. But, it seems on the 2.5L that aftermarket intakes can provide some gains. For the price, I would install a downpipe or up-pipe instead. Better gains and less headaches...

redfly, you've now heard of 1 person who got stuff screwed up. Me. :) My MAF on my SVT Contour got jacked due to an over-oiled K&N. I've been using them for years, but guess I got a little overzealous on this particular clean/reoil cycle. Car totally ran like poo (as was mentioned by BoxerGT2.5). Dealer actually replaced the MAF under warranty which was nice because that thing was seriously screwed. Worst part was it wouldn't generate a code!

Anyway, this wasn't the full on intake, just a filter replacement but the filter on the SVT was a monster conical bastard with a psuedo cold air setup that went into the front fender area. I'm actually surprised that the Subi's aren't equipped with something similar since it seems like it'd be a better flowing setup. Who knows. :) The guys that make decisions on stuff like that usually make more $$ than me and have better degrees. :)

Think about what you're saying 924 Turbo... If I changed my airbox with a highly restrictive inake I wouldn't see a drop in performance? Not so.

The performance of the intake does rely heavily on design, and some are simply poor. Others, however, can be advantageous to the system. To make a blanket statement like that is misleading.

Think about what you're saying 924 Turbo... If I changed my airbox with a highly restrictive inake I wouldn't see a drop in performance? Not so.

The performance of the intake does rely heavily on design, and some are simply poor. Others, however, can be advantageous to the system. To make a blanket statement like that is misleading.

I couldn't agree more!

Looks like I opened a big Ol' can of worms. The car definately pulls harder. I have no access to a dyno to verify what my butt is telling me. I have always had K&N products in my cars & have never had a problem. As most of us are, I am very intune with my car. If it does nothing, as some say, then fine. I believe it does. If I am happy with my "perceived" upgrade, I guess I would buy anything.........what's that website for that tornado gizmo!!:lol:

So according to that, if you completely remove the intake and slap a filter onto the turbo. The engine would lean out?

WRONG. The ECU is looking for a certain boost level. Once it attains this level it adjusts the wastegate to keep it steady. Then it adjusts injector rates to keep the AF within specified ratios. Our injectors should be able to out squirt our turbo. So basicly, once you transfer from vaccum to boost, the intake doesn't do squat, as long as it is physicaly capable of moving the required CFM...which the stock intake is more than capable of.

OK, yes, an Intake may help you for the 500rpm that you are still under vaccum when you floor it. But is paying $170 ($250 - the $80 for the filter = $170) really worth a couple hundred rpms of marginly better flow?

Actually I agree with you on your first point, but there are many threads warning against using aftermarket intakes as they could mess up the A/F ratio. As Keefe points out if the MAF sensor is mounted in the same diameter tube, there should be no problem.

As far as the turbo efficiency goes, the lower the restriction on the suction and exhaust side go, the better it will work. Once you have reached x psi of boost, the wastegate will open, but with less restriction on the intake it will reach that pressure easier and faster, e.g, going from 5 to 10 psi will be quicker with a high flow filter. Then once the wastegate is open, the exhaust gases can be expelled from the manifold much quicker too, everyone agrees that the turbo is the biggest restriction in the exhaust system, the wastegate allows it to be bypassed.

Lets say, for example, the wastegate is open 20% at 12psi boost, with a high flow intake, that might increase to 30% as it takes less exhaust gas to drive the turbo to provide the same boost.

I'm not too good at explaining things in writing, but I hope you get my point.

924 turbo, you are not the only one to work on turbos, some of which are bigger than the car itself :rolleyes:

Archived