LegacyGT.com

K&N typhoon air intake annoying BOV sound?

I just installed the K&N typhoon, and I'm totally NOT digging the BOV sound it makes when shifting. Does anyone out there share the dislike for the BOV sound? Is this the BOV I'm hearing now or is it something else?

Has anyone done anything resonance-wise or something else to reduce or eliminate this sound? I'm not knocking those who like the BOV sound, but i'm just saying it's not the sound i was looking for.

I would like to find a way to keep the less restrictive air intake though as i'm planning to install a cat-back or turbo-back at some point. Would a tune help at all? Would adding a less restrictive turbo back exhaust help reduce the sound? I'm guessing not with my somewhat limited understanding of the GT engine...

As far as I know all of the aftermarket intakes make that noise. I would say go back to stock. When I got my TBE(turbo back exhaust) it seemed to get alittle louder. I'm at stage 2 now. The tune made the intake sound alittle deeper.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Some of us like the sound.

Remember you just installed a performance part. It's no longer your fathers Oldsmobile.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW what you are hearing is the BPV (by-pass-valve) not a BOV.

If you dont like it, just turn up the radio :) lol!

Its actually not as loud on the outside of the car as you think. A tune will not help, i would think it would make your suck more air in and increase your boost levels making the BPV sound even louder.

I would suggest you go with the AEM intake then. Sell the KN you will get better performance (colder air) and you can barely hear it. It is the best "stealth" intake out for this car!

Joe

PM Me for all your Modification Needs!

I would suggest you go with the AEM intake then. Sell the KN you will get better performance (colder air) and you can barely hear it. It is the best "stealth" intake out for this car! Joe

This is what I did. The AEM CAI actually filters the sound through the tire well so it's not quite as bad as the short rams. I only hear a little hiss when barely giving it gas. With the UP/TBE; the exhaust rumble will drowned out the intake. I don't even hear the woosh when shifting anymore.

Let's kick this pig!

The sound actually gets quieter with time. That, or I am just getting used to it.

More air flow=more noise as the turbo will suck down a heck of a lot of air. It gets quieter because your filter is filling with crap :lol: That's the point of filters. Clean and/or replace it and the noise will come right back :)

I would suggest you go with the AEM intake then. Sell the KN you will get better performance (colder air) and you can barely hear it. It is the best "stealth" intake out for this car!

Joe

But If you want to get a FMIC I don't think it will fit with a AEM intake.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

How much louder is the AEM intake than stock? I had the k&n typhoon system on my car and took it off a month later. I couldn't take the noise anymore. It's a great performance part, just not for me. So, I was hoping the AEM system was quiet(er).

Archived