LegacyGT.com

just tinted my windows (not happy)

slimfast

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9036/0415011847a.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/324/0415011850.jpg

wtf? didnt notice when i left, was in a hurry. will call the guy tomorrow and see what he says.. what do you guys think?

i am pretty sure thats just water between the film and glass that they use during install. It should all dry up and go away in a few days especially if its warmer out and sun heats them up. Keep your eye on it but i think it will go away.

Normal.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

i am pretty sure thats just water between the film and glass that they use during install. It should all dry up and go away in a few days especially if its warmer out and sun heats them up. Keep your eye on it but i think it will go away.

That's a lot more then what my windows looked like right after install, but you do have to allow a few days to let it dry. Hopefully you'll get some nice warm sunny days to help the process.

I'd still call the guy who did it, but I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Be sure not to roll down the windows for a few days.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I'll have to watch out for that as I'm getting my tints replaced tomorrow..

How much did you pay for that, if you don't mind me asking?

$80 for the two back windows including the two triangular corner windows. he said another $80 for my rear window, i didnt shop around at all but it seemed reasonable to me. this is a local guy who owns and operates his own business and i liked that a lot so i went wit him. his company car is a very flashy suburban; two tone paint job, vinyl on the back, body kit, all kinds of different tint on the lights and windows and huge 24" rims. its gaudy as hell but i will admit its what got him my business.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/7756/1003707y.jpg

and thanks guys i was kinda pissed/confused before but now thinking i just jumped the gun. forecast says a high in the 50's for the next few days and not particularly sunny :/ but we'll see.

$80 for the two back windows including the two triangular corner windows. he said another $80 for my rear window, i didnt shop around at all but it seemed reasonable to me. this is a local guy who owns and operates his own business and i liked that a lot so i went wit him. his company car is a very flashy suburban; two tone paint job, vinyl on the back, body kit, all kinds of different tint on the lights and windows and huge 24" rims. its gaudy as hell but i will admit its what got him my business.

and thanks guys i was kinda pissed/confused before but now thinking i just jumped the gun. forecast says a high in the 50's for the next few days and not particularly sunny :/ but we'll see.

Ha, that's enough for me as well! $80 is a very good price..the shop that I'm going tomorrow quoted me $260. Both the removal of the existing tint and the installation of the new one is included. Does this seem unreasonable?

-Santos

Ha, that's enough for me as well! $80 is a very good price..the shop that I'm going tomorrow quoted me $260. Both the removal of the existing tint and the installation of the new one is included. Does this seem unreasonable?

-Santos

that sounds reasonable to me

usually its like 150-200 for all 5 windows

that sounds reasonable to me

usually its like 150-200 for all 5 windows

Right, looks that 150-300 is average. I'm definitely excited. Getting rid of those damn scuff marks. Thanks for the help.

-Santos

Not bad as long as he uses quality tint. I paid $225 all the way around minus windshield.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Yep, Kong is dead on.

I ended up getting my tints re-done today (took about 5 hours.) When leaving the clerk informed me of the bubbles that I might see (and have seen). He said to leave it in the sun as much as possible for about 7-10 days and they will go away on their own.

I paid $250 for 18% Lumar stealth w/ lifetime warranty. Don't roll your windows down for 3-4 days, infact.. just put some masking tape over the controls and press the window lock button lol, thats what I did.

The bubbles are normal. Just use your rear defroster EVERYWHERE you go. It'll make the bubbles evaporate MUCH faster.

I'm actually going back to the same guy once i get my windshield replaced (stupid crack from a stone). I'm going to have my whole windshield done in lumar 100% clear and 99.9% uv reflective film. All of my windows are 99.9% uv reflective. So it's like wearing polarized sunglasses all the time in the car.

I concur that the OP windows are normal. It took a good two weeks for mine to start looking good. I pair $180 for all 5 windows for a 20% pro-film tint with lifetime warranty. Great guy, if anyone needs his number I have it.

I need to get my tint removed, it's peeling off in most places, anyone know what is a good price for just removal?

Tbirdman, I have heard it is about the same amount or more than having new installed. It's not as simple as ripping it off. You can rip off defroster lines if not careful. There are products and methods for removal. I once removed some on a old truck and spent hours with a razor blade and Windex scrapping residue off.

I need to get my tint removed, it's peeling off in most places, anyone know what is a good price for just removal?

The shop I went to charged me a discount rate of $99 which would stay as long as I re-install the tint for $160.

Not sure what it would be like without reinstalling the tint.

From what I've heard removing existing tint is somewhat of a chore..mine was peeling off as yours is.

removing your old tint off your door windows is quick and painless. start in a corner and use a sharp knife or a razer blade to get it started and just peel it off. do your best to keep it in one piece. for the left over adhesive on your window, use some dish soap mixed with warm water in a spray bottle. hose down your window generously and use a razer blade to scrap it off. i removed the tint on both my rear windows in 30 minutes or so this way. no need for harsh chemicals, dish soap wont damage your upholstery.

rear window is a bit different because of the defroster wires as has been mentioned. for this you can buy a $20 clothes steamer (k-mart, wal-mart etc) and just steam the shit out of your tint for a while and start peeling just like you did on the other windows. keep steaming as you peel, it gets so hot the adhesive comes off with the tint so no need for messing with a razer blade and risking damage to your defrosters.

hope this helps

removing your old tint off your door windows is quick and painless. start in a corner and use a sharp knife or a razer blade to get it started and just peel it off. do your best to keep it in one piece. for the left over adhesive on your window, use some dish soap mixed with warm water in a spray bottle. hose down your window generously and use a razer blade to scrap it off. i removed the tint on both my rear windows in 30 minutes or so this way. no need for harsh chemicals, dish soap wont damage your upholstery.

rear window is a bit different because of the defroster wires as has been mentioned. for this you can buy a $20 clothes steamer (k-mart, wal-mart etc) and just steam the shit out of your tint for a while and start peeling just like you did on the other windows. keep steaming as you peel, it gets so hot the adhesive comes off with the tint so no need for messing with a razer blade and risking damage to your defrosters.

hope this helps

All good to know. I like the steamer method.

I have also heard (and this only works on warm sunny day) of spraying the outside of the window down with soapy water then placing black plastic (trash bags are fine) on the outside of the window, flatten and smooth , then protect the interior and spray the interior with ammonia, trap that with more plastic, set the whole car out in the direct sunlight for 1-2 hours, after that start peeling it away, you may have to use more ammonia to soften the glue as you go.

I have never tried this method as it sounds extremely messy and very easy to destroy interior. Not to mention the fumes.

All good to know. I like the steamer method.

I have also heard (and this only works on warm sunny day) of spraying the outside of the window down with soapy water then placing black plastic (trash bags are fine) on the outside of the window, flatten and smooth , then protect the interior and spray the interior with ammonia, trap that with more plastic, set the whole car out in the direct sunlight for 1-2 hours, after that start peeling it away, you may have to use more ammonia to soften the glue as you go.

I have never tried this method as it sounds extremely messy and very easy to destroy interior. Not to mention the fumes.

also not to mention that requires mother natures cooperation :p over cast here for the passed 3 days and will be for the next few days to come :mad: lucky to get 30 minutes of sun at a time here and there.

the tint guy did mention wanting to use the sun to remove my rear window tint, so im waiting for a good day to go back and have him do that. i doubt he'll be using trash bags or ammonia but we'll see.

Archived