LegacyGT.com

Just joined 1st post - possible 4th Subaru - LGT Wagon

O.C.D.

Hello all. I am a long term lurker as I have Been in the Subaru world for 18 years or so. Owned many of them and now I am after a LGT Wagon. On NASIOC, 3G Impreza and USMB.

I found a 2005 with 114,000 miles, manual, new turbo and timing, really good shape, etc.

http://www.monumentmotors.com/2005-subaru-legacy-2-5gt-wagon/

As I am not new to these cars I know the mileage is not too bad. I drove it and she tracks strait, has pretty good power and brakes well. I already talked him down to $11,700 and free tires.

So what I am afraid of is? I know of the ringland issue on these older 2.5's. There is no history as it was a broker trade. It was a one owner car. No knowledge of clutch or tranny maintenance.

Is it true that this is a limited as it was a manual wagon from this year?

What would you all say about this car?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Forgot to add that it has new timing belts and pulleys as well.

STI pedal covers are on there as well? That would lead me to believe young owner and she could have been abused or the owner liked pedal covers?

Dealer stated that the Legacys have an oil filter to the turbo which clogs and starves the turbo. That is why it died? Is this true?

Dealer said the WRX's don't have this and he removed it when the new turbo went in.

Guy sells mainly used Subarus and seems to know his stuff.

Hi,

I have the exact same car in silver.

Worried about ringland? Get a compression test, also understand that while there are a few documented cases of ringland failure, there are many, many higher mileage 05 Gt's out there without it. Sometimes I feel like coming onto the forum makes me paraniod about my car because the majority of people join when they get problems and are seeking advice.

The new turbo is a big plus, but you have to be absolutely certain that parts of that old blown turbo are not still in the engine - who did the install? what else did they do to support the install and make sure the oil isn't contaminated?

He is right about the filters, they are called banjo bolts FYI. The jury is out if you should keep them in or not - I think more important is to keep your OCI's at 3000 miles and lower and use good synthetic oil (not mobil 1). It would have been nice to see some service records for the car. My banjo filters are out FWIW.

The STI pedals I wouldn't worry about.

From what the guy is saying, it seems like he knows what he is talking about.

Press the clutch in on idle, my throw out bearing whistles on occasion, will need replacing soon.

Good luck, Its been love hate for me (mostly love), but I would much rather put money into this car than my old RSX! I feel like it does everything.

Banjo bolts are what attach to a fluid line and have a passage to bolt down to a caliper or turbo. They are not filter?

Maybe I am confused. Is there one that has a filter there? My 2011 wrx didn't have that. My other 2 Subaru's were n/a so I may have never seen this.

Thank you for the insights. Mechanics is a Subaru tech here and he used OEM parts. The engine cowl was on but that turbo is brand spankin new. I can't confirm it is a Subaru turbo at the moment. Should be a vf40?

He gave me the mechanics number as well for my restoration needs.

Guy seems really legit and knowledgeable about Subies. I will ask about the oil change after turbo service.

But as stated, is this worth the money?

Ok I am learning here.

Banjo bolt filter removal. Interesting to know now.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-62371.html

Sorry, must have missed that one.

Well, I guess it depends.

If it were me, and everything I mentioned checked out ok, then I would probably pay $11-12k on the basis I had some sort of warranty. My particular concern would be pieces of that toast turbo floating around in your engine, and that turbo blew for a reason, I would want to know what that was.

My car had a blown turbo 10k before I purchased it, the cause was clogged banjo filter (I suspect longer OCI intervals than 3k), it also caused burnout on a valve in cyl4. The owner replaced the turbo with a used unit, and had the engine rebuilt. I could deal with the used turbo - I had BNR rebuild it as soon as I bought it for $375, I just wanted to make sure nothing was still in that engine.

I guess the question is how much do you really want the car. I fell in love with mine as soon as I saw it, and because of that I missed a bunch of stuff that I probably should have paid more attention to while viewing it.

Whatever happens, good luck.

FYI I paid a couple of hundred over KBB value, but I recognize these cars are rare, and I really wanted one.

Hold the phone, just found this browsing.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3351404593.html

Go take a look before you buy your original.

Good luck - wish I was closer to look myself!

He he he, saw that as well and have reached out. We shall see.

I am a patient person but I know these 5-speeds are rare. Hopefully will figure it out.

I really think the dealer car is a good one. I am not too worried about the turbo being blown. But I could be wrong.

Well I did a ton more research at work today and am really focusing on the Denver car with 44,000 fewer miles. But that means a private car loan so I applied. Waiting to hear on it.

Called the owner and he says it is a great car in great shape. :spin:

So now I just wait....

And I hate waiting. Lol

They found their wagon of choice. No worry's.The used market is red hot for wagon's & Spec B's. The factor is availability. People are waiting & watching.

Shopping for a car of your choice is always fun...

I'm considering selling my wagon. 69K 5spd silver color. HTA 68, Pw intercooler, custom tune for e85 with accessport, new tires. Pretty clean. Located in Denver

Archived