LegacyGT.com

Just hit guard rail

So yea

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0znsyc_3TcsZXlnWFFtTjVnZU0/view?usp=sharing

picture was to big to upload.

Looks like the passenger side frame rail buckled a little, fenders are shot, bumpers shot, radiator support is shot.

Drove it home so drive train is still intact.

I don't even know where to start.... should I scrap it or fix it?

Hmm it is hard to say.....you said you drove it home so there not must be that much damage to the front end. I really don`t know for this has never happened to me luckily. I would just get the thing inspected and go from there!!

Someones coming by on Monday to take a look. But my biggest issue is the frame rail buckling... not sure how that gets replaced, probably have to pull the engine. Oh boy! Fun times ahead. I may try to find a used one with blown motor for under 4k hopefully, and just swap everything over. Because what I do know for a fact is this is not going to be cheap.

No airbags and drives straight surprisingly. The passenger frame rail buckled right behind the bumper in front of the engine so I am hoping it can be pulled out. Don't know to much about body work with these cars. I'm just thinking of my options, my good friends uncle owns a body shop so he will be as honest as can be. He often comes on weekends to help us out with the 91 Camaro we are rebuilding. So at least I know the estimate will be trustworthy.

I see. That sucks. My 05 was in a wreck a long time ago (with previous owner) and that rail got bent as well. Obviously it got fixed, but I can still see a small bent in the rail. Anyway, point is it can be fixed. Cost? not sure..

Got rid of full coverage a while ago, only liability. Cars only worth what 6k? No point paying an extra 1500-2k a year for 10 year old car. And after you pay all that extra money for full coverage, they increase it when you use it... For a brand new car with payments I can understand the full coverage. But insurance rates are high as hell in NYC area. I pay 1400-1500 a year for just liability, full coverage for me was at least double.

Lol? Does everyone think insurance is the magic fix it fairy? Insurance companies don't lose, you think they do but they don,t. The money they spend fixing the car (when your at fault and in a lot of states even when your not at fault) comes out of my ass next year with increased rates, and then they make their money back and then some, actually a lot of some. I have been paying insurance for over a decade and the one thing I know is, when your insurance pays, you pay! Its long run vs short run. In the long run its not worth it.

I'm not really complaining about the costs to repair, I'm just wondering if I want to continue with the car because of the frame rail damage. Somethings going to have to get cut, measurements etc.

Insurance would total the car, and give me a 3-5k check and take the car.

I'm just failing to see how insurance matters at this point, costs aren't really what i'm concerned about.

Who the hell has full coverage on a 10 year old car? Its not exactly an expensive car. I can buy another used one for 5k, vs me paying out the ass when I want to insure another car. I prefer to take the hit and keep my insurance rates low.

Who the hell has full coverage on a 10 year old car?

*Meekly raises hand* I do... for two 10 year olds and one 9 year old.

But yes, at some point you need to assess the value of the car versus the cost of the policy. I believe in your case you were correct in removing the collision coverage. It's a gamble either way, and one you'd lose on regardless.

So, more to the point, you do not have to pull the engine to straighten the frame rail. It is a fairly common practice to hook it up to a puller and to straighten it back out. Of course if you get hit there again it'll buckle again.

With the kind of damage there you'd be looking at an easy total loss depending on the miles (or maybe even not). Airbag? So will it be worth it to you to put the same money into it to fix it as to buy it over? And you should let any potential buyers know about it (in theory anyway) so then you have to take that value hit into account if you decide to sell it.

With a good drivetrain and if you have a black interior, it might be worth looking at parting out.

Just my 2 cents.

Depends on what you're willing to pay. A friend works at a body shop and replaced both frame rails on an 06 STI. Car drives straight as an arrow.

Also, $1,500-2,000 "more" per year for full coverage versus liability only on a 10 year old car? I'd love some of the dope you're smoking because I pay $900 a year for full coverage on my 2006 and that's high.

It was $500/year but I changed companies to save $2000 a year on my homeowner's insurance but that's another story.

Like I said , thats what I pay! NY insurance is higher than most states! I'm not saying YOU pay more, i'm saying I pay more for full coverage. We all know how insurance works, its not some arbitrary number.

Once again your in Ohio, your rates are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than someone who is in a metropolitan area such as myself. Full coverage for my car is 300+ a month for ME!! Please don't generalize something so specific as car insurance. Age, history and a shit load of other things come into play when it comes to insurance.

When you live in bumblefuck USA, insurance is cheap!!! The cost to park your car in NYC is equal to one persons rent, and our rent is a shit times more than most places in the country, your talking 700 per month per person at LEAST!

Its the area I live in which dictates my rates. So if you live in Southern NY then its not what i'm smoking its how hard the insurance companies want to **** u up the ass.

To get those rates ur talking you gotta be 60 years old, drive 100 miles a year and have been in no accidents the past 20 ****** ytears.

WTF are you smoking !!!

Virginia? Ohio? Statistics like population density and taxes is what comes into play, and frankly those 2 states don't hold much flame to nyc's obnoxious cost of living! I can rent a house in ohio for 700 dollars a month, over here 700 gets you a studio apartment. Insurance is on scale to those kind of things! If the cost of living is less then yes your insurance is less. I'm not smoking anything, this is the bill I receive monthly from Geico!

Just wondering the speed of impact.I once got into a accident on the lower level of the G.W Bridge because of summer performance tires given as standard equipment but unknown to me ,,totally worthless in wet weather.My airbags did not deploy either so you had to be in the low 20 mph range.

Getting a good repair shop is absolutely critical but one thing in our favor as opposed to say a Toyota vehicle that being there are not enough Subaru's on the road to make it viable for shady operators to produce bogus parts so pretty much your assured of getting the real things.

Good luck...

Just wondering the speed of impact.I once got into a accident on the lower level of the G.W Bridge because of summer performance tires given as standard equipment but unknown to me ,,totally worthless in wet weather.My airbags did not deploy either so you had to be in the low 20 mph range.

Getting a good repair shop is absolutely critical but one thing in our favor as opposed to say a Toyota vehicle that being there are not enough Subaru's on the road to make it viable for shady operators to produce bogus parts so pretty much your assured of getting the real things.

Good luck...

I was on 287 heading towards tappan zee bridge, in 3rd lane going about 50-60 mph. The rain was really coming down, really bad visibility. Rear passenger side kicked out into middle lane, I spun banged the center divider with driver side rotated banged it with passenger side and ended up on the other side of highway. Tbh I could have died very easily, thank god I was not hit by a car behind me!

There is a reason now for Subaru having the best resale value of all cars,,no kidding but for those bags not to deploy,,,gee some computer programmer either in Osaka ,or Fort Wayne tabulated impact foot pounds and decided,,,,,,

They don't need them .....

Anyway,,a bunch of soccer moms continue to buy the standards and the modifiers the WrX or WTX's or whatever they are.

I certainly concur with your cost of living expenses,,I'm Bronx born,now just over the Bridge.

I'd part it out and scrap it, you're easily gonna have into it what it's worth or more.

I flip cars and bought my 2.5i in a similar state to what yours is currently in and it ended up costing way more than I expected, thus why I have a new daily driver instead of another sold car lol.

There is a reason now for Subaru having the best resale value of all cars,,no kidding but for those bags not to deploy,,,gee some computer programmer either in Osaka ,or Fort Wayne tabulated impact foot pounds and decided,,,,,,

They don't need them .....

Anyway,,a bunch of soccer moms continue to buy the standards and the modifiers the WrX or WTX's or whatever they are.

I certainly concur with your cost of living expenses,,I'm Bronx born,now just over the Bridge.

Glad it didn't, would have made things worse actually.

Archived