LegacyGT.com

Just gutted stock DP with pics.

Hanslo

Hey all,

I just gutted a used stock (shorty) DP and took pictures along the way. It was very easy to do once I figured out what I was doing.

The first thing I noticed is that the material you are digging out is a LOT deeper than I thought. It fills up about 6 - 8 inches of the pipe. For some reason I thought it was just a disk.

Definitely wear a particle mask to protect yourself from the dust.

I started out with a hammer and chisel. After breaking up the surface a bit and chiseling down some deep fissures I switched to my wife's gardening tool (see pic) she uses for digging flower bulbs. By digging and twisting I could dig down the middle and break things up a bit then wedge the tool along the side and pry large pieces off. Flip the pipe over, knock the debris out and repeat until you get it all out. This went pretty fast and easy. There was a lot more debris than I thought. It consisted of the metalic honeycomb material and a bunch of white cotton insulation like material.

I am attaching pics for those who have never done or seen this before.

Hanslo

StockDP1_Catted.thumb.jpg.af8364fd586a17ba25461d9b42b72a2a.jpg

StockDP2_Chiseled.thumb.jpg.ec9f6e96e7c03b11643f92975cb39af1.jpg

StockDP3_BestTool.thumb.jpg.3444507a471db8a2b55237ad7da75a11.jpg

StockDP4_Digging.thumb.jpg.82f09bdf3afedee57914585d8f2360b1.jpg

StockDP5_Guts.thumb.jpg.27b3614455fc702969bd6188167f6f8f.jpg

StockDP6_Guts2.thumb.jpg.7c101b3d50745749178c878248d659b6.jpg

StockDP7_Gutted.thumb.jpg.eb1ea07cc7d0bd7f0fc1fdb39fdae161.jpg

Yeah, installing it is the scarier part for me. I'm going to wait until Thanksgiving when I'm at my Dad's house. He and my brother restore cars as a hobby so installing this for me should be easy for them. Then I'll flash stageII with my Cobb AP.

Hanslo

• 1 month later...
Can you reuse the gaskets that were in place when you reinstall the DP?

I won't be swapping out my downpipe until Thanksgiving weekend so I can't answer from experience. I'm going to get new gaskets just in case but I have read on the forums that there is a pretty good chance you can re-use the old ones.

Hanslo

I believe that garden tool is sold as a dandelion digger.

You're probably right. I call it her flower bulb digger because that's what she uses it for. I don't know what flowers she plants but apparently they produce lots of new bulbs which she later digs up and then re-distributes some of them through the garden and some she bags up in brown paper bags and gives them away. I, of course, put it to much better use :lol:

Hanslo

Definitely wear eye and mouth protection. Isn't there platinum in the catalyst material?

Yeah there are minute amounts of Platinum in the catalyst that is why that cat theft scam swept thru the nation. 1 pound of Platinum is worth about $23,000. YOu steal a few hundred cats and you might get a few oz of platinum that is still about $1430 buck not bad, but it would be super sketchy to get caught LOL.

Hey what are you doing? The sad part a good excuse would be " looking for my cat" :lol:

Archived