LegacyGT.com

Just got my 07 , Recommended Mods?

Just bought my first Subie yesterday an 07 5sp GT. I have been browsing these forums for a while and was looking to get some of your guys input on the path to take modding my car. Just wondering what you guys recommend as far as starting out on mods what you guys think are necessities and what the best bang for your buck mods are out there, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's what I did and am very happy with:

Cobb Accessport with custom stage 2 dyno tune - ~260 WHP and ~280 WTQ

AVO panel air filter - Breaths better than stock

AVO TMIC - Breaths better than stock and handles stage 2 boost levels better than stock

Cobb catted DP - Better exhaust flow and needed for stage 2

SPT 3" stainless cat back exhaust - Sounds nice!!!

DBA slotted rotors, stainless brake hoses, and Hawk pads - Much improved braking.

Soon to come:

JDM RSB with AVO re-enforcement brackets and Rallitek endlinks.

That is pretty much the order I went in and slowly built the car. I am very happy with it.

In hindsight I would start with the suspension mods first. I started with the power mods first and although they were a ton of fun now I feel like I can actually take advantage of them. Since you didn't really state your goals I'll assume you want more power and better handling. So:

Suspension

1). RSB - 22mm adj or 25mm. The OEM is 16mm.

2). RSB Mounts and End links

3). Front Sway (links and mount again)

4). Brake Pads - Went with Hawk HPS - night and day

5). Springs

6). Bilsteins/Koni's or Coilovers

Power

1). DP (I went Perrin Catted)

2). Catback (Perrin again)

3). Cobb AP or Tactrix Cable and Laptop

4). Tune - Infamous1 (just search) or ProTune. Cobb AP maps are ok but not great

That should give you a pretty good start. Once you start you most likely won't be able to stop so good luck :)

I started out with:

1. Sways (perrin F&R)

2. DP (invidia catted)

3. Catback (Greddy evo2)

4. FMIC (racerX)

5. CAI (AEM) not really necessary, but I like to hear some "WHHHHOOOOSSSSS"

6. 18' rims and some better tires than OEM.

7. Infamous tune.

Find a good used catted or catless downpipe for a MT trans, in the "for sale" section here on the forum. Also, get this adapter if you plan on using the OEM exhaust with a 3" downpipe: http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-2651/3-Inch-Downpipe-to/Detail

Install the dp and either get a dyno/road tune from a trusted tuner in your area, or buy a tactrix cable (~$160) and PM Infamous1 for an e-tune($150).

This will get you to stage 2 without breaking the bank, and for less than an AccessPort.

Then look into upgraded rotors and pads (dba 4000 series rotors and Hawk HPS pads).

Front and rear swaybars will give you some pretty nice handling.

And for the icing on the cake, take a look at one of these: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/so-just-picked-up-one-99463.html

This will get rid of your power-on understeer and dramatically improve your handling. It is by FAR the best mod I have done to my car (though I have the 6mt with STI front LSD, same end result). This is a mod that goes nicely along with the install of a new clutch.

One of these can help quite a bit too (it has really helped me quite a LOT after going stage 2:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-XTR690-Performance-Detector-Display/dp/B000OHYIEI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271050762&sr=1-11]Amazon.com: Whistler XTR690 - High Performance Radar/Laser[/ame]

or

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/valentine-one-Valentine-Radar-Detector/dp/B000U89KGW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1271050646&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Valentine One Radar Detector: Electronics[/ame]

you guys are unusually nice for a newbie... I got harassed when I had my first intro thread =/

Fine fine...

Airbags

Daytons or spinners

20kw sound system

Chrome Dip everything you can take off to dip

Escalade Grill

Shag interior

Pink wheels (:lol: you know who you are)

Just bought my first Subie yesterday an 07 5sp GT. I have been browsing these forums for a while and was looking to get some of your guys input on the path to take modding my car. Just wondering what you guys recommend as far as starting out on mods what you guys think are necessities and what the best bang for your buck mods are out there, any input would be greatly appreciated.

oil change and maintenance service check up :D

Suggest suspension and brake mods first.

If you still have the OEM tires, replace them with a set of good high performance tires.

If you still have OEM brake pads, replace with higher performance street pads.

Stock rear swaybar is very weak. Either replace just the rear or replace both front and rear swaybars as a matched set. You will probably want to get reinforced mounting brackets for the rear swaybar.

Consider new, stiffer front lower control arm bushings.

Get a good 4-wheel alignment.

Change out all the fluids according to the maintenance schedule.

This would be a good time to take a breather from mods and just draw your own conclusions about the next steps. Many people make the mistake of ruining the car's ride with unsuitable springs and shocks. Be careful here since reasonable suspension travel and compliance are needed for a daily driver.

I am personally holding off on power mods since the car has an extended warranty. The stock power is fine for now and longevity is important to me. Just my opinion.

you guys are unusually nice for a newbie... I got harassed when I had my first intro thread =/

To the OP, my best mod suggestion is using the search function to find the other 80 times since January that someone has asked for mod suggestions on their 4th gen LGT. Every time its bigger sways/endlinks, springs, brakes, and tires for handling and high flow/catless UP & DP, exhaust, panel filter, tune for HP & TQ gains. Everyone suggests different brands and vendors, and then brags about their current set up and how much they like it or what they would do differently. So its been covered before.

That better for you ssabat?

It's cool; I'm with the band

If you want to improve the headlights, I can suggest the following:

Our cars headlight optics are very good. You do not need HIDs. You can benefit from better bulbs, though.

Low beams: Osram H7 Rallye+65

High beams: Toshiba 9011 HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflection)

The stock Daytime Running Light setup burns out low beam headlights very quickly. Either 1) disable your DRLs or 2) wire them up to use the turn signals instead of your low beam headlights (there is an aftermarket module to do this).

If you want to improve the headlights, I can suggest the following:

Our cars headlight optics are very good. You do not need HIDs. You can benefit from better bulbs, though.

Low beams: Osram H7 Rallye+65

High beams: Toshiba 9011 HIR (Halogen Infrared Reflection)

The stock Daytime Running Light setup burns out low beam headlights very quickly. Either 1) disable your DRLs or 2) wire them up to use the turn signals instead of your low beam headlights (there is an aftermarket module to do this).

Do you have these bulbs? If so could you post some pics of low beams? I would love to see how well they light up the road and what they look like head on. Also, (if you have them) do you get many people flashing you when the low beams are on?

Thanks in advance!

(for those interested here is a good thread on the HIR bulbs http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/9011-hir-bulbs-installed-w-7814.html )

The only good link left in that thread to buy the bulbs is the Fine Motoring one.

http://www.hirheadlights.com/

$50 for a set isn't too bad, Silverstar Ultras are ~$40.

Anyone know how they compare for longevity?

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Do you have these bulbs? If so could you post some pics of low beams? I would love to see how well they light up the road and what they look like head on. Also, (if you have them) do you get many people flashing you when the low beams are on?

Thanks in advance!

i have the osram rallye 65W

nobody flashes me when my low beams are on, though my friends have noted that the headlights are fairly intense when i am driving behind them. it shouldn't be an issue if your headlights are aligned properly because of the projectors, the light will always only extend to the cutoff range despite delivering higher lumens

i can try and grab some photos tomorrow if i have the chance. it's very difficult to get an accurate depiction of the light output because a) the photos will have to be at night, night-time photography is difficult to capture b) every cameras digital processing differs and can alter the perception of the light ouput

The only good link left in that thread to buy the bulbs is the Fine Motoring one.

http://www.hirheadlights.com/

$50 for a set isn't too bad, Silverstar Ultras are ~$40.

Anyone know how they compare for longevity?

Regarding HIR longevity, I have a set of 9012 (or what ever the 9006 equivalent is) that has been in my Jeep Grand Cherokee (when I still had it) for about a year (~20k miles) before I got rid of it in favor of a Wrangler. I took the bulbs out and they sat on a shelf until I got the LGT July '09 and put them in my fog lights, where they have been since (except of the winter when I switched them out for yellow bulbs, but now back to the HIRs). My friend has a set of 9011 and 9012 HIRs in his Jeep for the last 2 years and still going.

At first I was hesitant at spending the cash on a set of bulbs, but considering they have lasted so long, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again. The light output cannot be rivaled by anything else other than high wattage bulbs using a wire harness. Even if that's the case, I would be worried about the heat melting plastic in the light housings.

Thanks in advance!

I'm away from home, but here are some good pics that were taken by another member:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/osram-h7-65w-toshiba-hir-124938.html?t=124938

These show the bulbs lighting a garage wall. This will give you an idea of relative brightness but won't show you how far the beam projects down the road. Here are some other pics that help show that:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/pics-upgraded-headlights-osram-hyper-54183.html

I should say that pics don't convey the actual reality as seen by the human eye. Let me summarize: Excellent performance!

I sometimes have people flash me when running the low beams, but not very often. Though the light is visibly brighter, the projector headlights have a very sharp cutoff which prevents glare.

I can't speak to HIR bulb life because I haven't burned one out yet. They are rated for about the same life as standard high beams.

Your Owner's Manual can

Well actually Subaru somehow left out the list of aftermarket part numbers. The H7 low beams are obvious, but the Toshiba HIR 9011 are from what I understand a non-direct fit and will require a little modification (trimming the plastic down).

I think I am right and if not I hope candlepower.com will refund..

But thanks for the otherwise much helpful info :rtfm:

Archived