LegacyGT.com

JDM vs USDM bumper beam

Deer Killer

I found two cutaway pics. However the perspective and cut points are different. I've been fiddling with it for a while to try and get it close enough, here's what I got.

1. Yes the USDM is thicker.

2. The USDM is mounted forward more, I'm guesstimating 1/2", probably spacers we can remove?

3. The JDM styrofoam pad looks like it's thicker, although the source picture cuts off the bumper shell :(

What does this mean? We can probably remount the bumper beam back 1/2" and then probably trim the styrofoam and get a good fit. Of course the perspective corrections might just be screwing with my head too :)

jdmvusdm.jpg.eb35aaac5fb0cecbdba2970a186ce400.jpg

Bumpers don't offer much (if any) real crash protection any way, they are only effective in low speed "bumps". I'd sway mine to the JDM beams & bumper in heartbeat if they were readily availible. :D

Just before buying my Legacy in Sept, I was screwing around with images to compare. This is the first good shot that I've seen of the JDM beam from that angle. Nice work.

It looks to me that it would indeed work by maybe trimming down the foam. However, we assume that the center of the beam (shown in your pics) has the greatest delta. I'm not 100% sure this is the case. I think that the USDM bumper has a gradual "U" shape, whereas the JDM is straighter. Hopefully, someone will take the plunge and figure this out.

It is annoying to me that no US vendor has taken the initiative to test fit the JDM bumper to our car. Perhaps there just isn't the demand (in addition to DOT issues). Although, a test fit might generate demand.

Semi related.

On my wife's BE Legacy Sedan we put on a JDM Legacy GTB E-tune OE bumper and encountered the same situation of the USDM beam & foam not fitting under the shorter and less protruding JDM one. We were able to trim the foam a ton and still retain the USDM 5mph bumper beam.

Yeah I'm sure the DOT police are hot on our trail..

I agree, but vendors might wince despite their "not street legal" disclaimer.

I wouldn't be to worried about it unless there was some reason for a detailed inspection after an accident...not likely.

I saw that jdmpartstx had a bumper on their site and then removed it. I wonder if someone from these boards snatched it. Their parts still say "incoming" so hopefully they'll do a quick test fit soon.

..but they have JDM headlights and HID kits :)

I doubt it's related.

edit - it's still there, at the very bottom http://www.jdmpartstx.com/pics/durm_specb_gt_bumper.jpg

Good point.

Actually, jdmpartstx had a white rear bumper and blue/gray front bumper on earlier this week. Either someone got 'em or the inbound parts were cancelled.

Any idea how costly it would be to have a GOOD body shop repaint a bumper?

It is annoying to me that no US vendor has taken the initiative to test fit the JDM bumper to our car. Perhaps there just isn't the demand (in addition to DOT issues). Although, a test fit might generate demand.

I've certainly thought about it -- I'd love to get the J-spec turbo bumper for my car. And then put a front lip on it. But heck, figure $400 or so for the bumper skin from Japan, at least $200 for shipping huge bumper pieces, $300-odd for paint, plus the labor to hand-carve the styrofoam -- and we're ASSUMING it's gonna fit up...oh, and that Syms front lip I like costs $535. I have better/more pressing things to do with my $1200. Sigh.

I want my car to look like this...

http://store1.yimg.com/I/fastwrx_1817_21765218

But it's probably not to be. :(

By the way, the Japan turbo front bumper looks MUCH shorter than ours...look:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/fastwrx_1817_21890623

JDM car

http://home.comcast.net/~nlehmann/leg/oh1.jpg

USDM car

--Dan

Mach V

FastWRX.com

Somebody got them :)

The white one on the site is currently spoken for, as well. However, there is no deposit on it so it may end up unclaimed when it arrives in late March.

Good point.

Actually, jdmpartstx had a white rear bumper and blue/gray front bumper on earlier this week. Either someone got 'em or the inbound parts were cancelled.

Any idea how costly it would be to have a GOOD body shop repaint a bumper?

Archived