LegacyGT.com

JDM Dual Console Box Installed

NSFW

If down, extend-o-matic armrest was too low. If up, it was OK, but since (IMO) the Legacy is kinda tight on storage space, it seemed like a waste. AVO to the rescue with the JDM:

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/product_info.php?cPath=1_58_3_187&products_id=260

Required:

1) JDM dual console box

2) JDM #2 screwdriver (or JIS-compliant USDM equivalent)

3) Pictures in the JDM instructions

4) Very strong fingernails.

5) Camera (JDM preferred) for documentation purposes

Not Required:

1) Text in the JDM instructions.

Procedure:

Grab the required items, get in the back seat, and do like what it shows in the pictures. Note that you need to attach the trim panel before bolting the lid to the box. (this sentence will make sense when the pieces are in front of you) Note that to remove the existing trim panel from the rear of the console (over the cupholders), you just have to pull at the top. Pull hard. This is where the fingernails count - I bent one of mine most painfully. Oh, the horrors. :spin: Seriously though, the whole swap is really simple. Takes 15 minutes at most. OK, maybe 20 if you forget to put the trim panel onto the top piece until after it's all bolted down...

Results:

Fits just fine. In the 'down' position, the height is just right, though I wish it came forward just a bit more. In the 'extendo' position, it's silly tall. Might replace with a non-extend-o-matic console lid.

The new space in the middle section is perfect for 4 EDM CDs in jewel cases, with enough space at the narrow edge to get my USDM fingertips in there to ruffle through the discs. Hopefully this frees up enough room below so I can fit my USDM Zune in there - haven't tried yet.

Pictures, including bonus pic:

(how often do you see a USDM hummingbird in the snow?)

1446141398_ConsoleBox007.JPG.febb2e929aa0ca71f1ad78dfebb9af5b.JPG

1594514687_ConsoleBox009.JPG.85403eb60aa222b1e68420169dd3bdaf.JPG

299405543_ConsoleBox010.JPG.b4789fd0ded8445dc3778507570dcc7b.JPG

1288648643_HummerZoom.jpg.4b69ebd379be00cc96553dd9e7c2a35d.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking "best of both worlds," with the storage + the adjustability, but the adjustability doesn't have any value since the 'up' position is so high. Unless I can hack it to just slide forward without rising up. Not sure that's worth the trouble though.

^^^

Damn, that same issue just happened to me in the last week of December. After 2 years, all of a sudden my lid won't catch and stay closed...

I'm going to get them to warranty that when I go in for my ECU swap.

**Great hummingbird pic too! Amazing how it can fly around in those kinds of temps! Don't they fly somewhere warmer for the winter like other birds?

I thought they all migrated too, but I guess this kind doesn't. Or maybe he summers up north in Canada and this IS "someplace warmer."

After I finished doing the console swap I saw the hummingbird checking out the feeder, which was just a ball of solid ice. I took that pic right after microwaving the feeder to thaw it out. The hummingbird seemed really happy to get a warm meal, he hung out for a while... I have no clue what else it feeds on, it's not like there are a lot of flowers this time of year.

Archived