LegacyGT.com

iPod adapter control hack (for any aftermarket radio)

ean611

I just modified my Eclipse ipc-106 to act the way I wanted it to. Normally, when you plug in the iPod, the radio takes control of everything, and you must control the iPod through the radio. With my Eclipse 8053, this isn't a very good method, as it's using hte 6-CD changer interface. So I disconnected the serial control lines from the iPod dock connector, and now the radio lets me control the iPod from the iPod.

This can be done to any iPod connector where the iPod outputs analog audio. This will NOT work if the radio uses a USB connection to directly read the MP3 data from the iPod's HD. Most in car radios do not use USB, they have the iPod line out driving the system.

Assuming the iPod line out is driving your system, you can disconnect pins 18 and 19 (serial control Rx and Tx) on the iPod connector, and your radio will no longer A) be able to control the iPod and B) no longer lock out the iPod's controls.

I've only done this to an Eclipse ipc-106 in CD changer mode. I have not tested this with other radios or other modes. As long as the radio uses low speed serial to control the iPod and line out to get the audio, this mod may work.

Opening up the iPod dock connector cable is not easy, as parts are very small. I would recommend a fine pitch rework station and microscope for this effort.

One more disclaimer, my radio shows an error message when the iPod is connected and I'm listening to it. This error message is generated because the radio can no longer communicate with the iPod, yet does not interfere with my ability to listen to the iPod. Some radios may, upon seeing such an error, not let you listen to the iPod.

For me, this hack works beautifully, as I can now listen to and charge my iPod with the Eclipse adapter, which sounds better than just using the AUX in.

Archived