LegacyGT.com

Invidia Down Pipe Install

tetsulo

Had a busy weekend. On Saturday I installed my 4454 Tranny cooler following Opie's documentation. Replaced my rear anti sway bar bushings with Energy Star poly bushings. (Cusco Front and Rear sway bars) Front's would have been done too but they shipped me a 23mm and a 25mm in the same bag :( Got an email in to them, hopefully they will send me the new bushing insert. Also got my Subaru logo decals applied to my brake calipers and then clear coated. They look good and I figure that must be worth 10hp :)

Sunday was installing the catted Invidia Downpipe day. I wrapped the bellmouth using the copper impregnated exhaust wrap by Thermotec. Didn't paint it with hi temp paint as I was taking advantage of the cool weather today and didn't want to wait for it to dry. Install was easy. The guides and other info on this site are dead on. The only real snag I ran into was the bottom most bolt/stud on the turbo. Between the header wrap and the hose clamp there wasn't enough space to get the flanged nut over the stud with it's threads straight. I suspect this is the one that people mention is frequently cross threaded. I ended up grinding the flange down to allow enough space. and there is still enough surface area to flange to get a good clamping down...

I cut the heat shield to accomodate the new bellmouth and mounted it using 4 bolts. It seems very firm and solid.

I'll be getting a tune by infamous soon but I took the car out for an easy spin today and avoided hitting the turbo. The car sounds great (v.2 SPT CBE) and the engine is definately spinning more freely. Low end torque already seems to be increased as well. The exhaust wrap smoked a little and definately smelled but nothing too bad...

For giggles I ordered the Perrin ELH tonight from Fred Beans. I'll install that and the up pipe...hopefully next weekend.

I'm really excited about the potential that is in here...

Matt

• 1 month later...
Done deal, not much stink if any. I had more fumes before with the cracked UP ( I had been smelling fumes for a couple of months ) than going catless. I went from a gutted DP to the divorced bellmouth. I'm very happy with the results, my turbo spools at the slightest push on the gas now, I love it.

Done deal, not much stink if any. I had more fumes before with the cracked UP ( I had been smelling fumes for a couple of months ) than going catless. I went from a gutted DP to the divorced bellmouth. I'm very happy with the results, my turbo spools at the slightest push on the gas now, I love it.

Thanks for the info. I've got a gutted (1st cat only) stocker and have been considering going with a catless piece to save $400 or so.. :)

Thanks for the info. I've got a gutted (1st cat only) stocker and have been considering going with a catless piece to save $400 or so.. :)

I did the same thing and saw some good improvements. With only the first cat removed on the stock DP I had zero stink..when I upgraded to the invidia, I the exaust smell was pretty obvious when rolling to a stoop. It is not horrible though..smells like well...exhaust fumes.

I did the same thing and saw some good improvements. With only the first cat removed on the stock DP I had zero stink..when I upgraded to the invidia, I the exaust smell was pretty obvious when rolling to a stoop. It is not horrible though..smells like well...exhaust fumes.

Did you note any changes while you were datalogging, or was it a butt dyno difference where you saw some/felt good improvements?

I have 0 stink with the 1st cat only removed; I'm debating catting the 2nd one to see if I can deal with the stink before pulling the trigger on the Invidia.

Did either of you guys with the Invidia divorced piece do any grinding on the divorce wall?

I data log/road dynos the difference, I saw a really significant increase (went from 272 whp to 297, but I think part of it was the weather changed by -20 degrees when comparing the runs.

Stage 2, with Gutted DP and FMIC MickeyD tune (tweaked by me)

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/3rdspecBVF40.jpg

After installing the Invidia and much cooler weather:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg194/littlebluegt/SpecB3rd.jpg

I think the wetaher effected these runs more than the DP did..but this is what the data is saying.

Logs here: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91718&page=17

I think removing the 2nd cat is a great idea..you will know what you are getting in to.

I did not trim the divider and had no problems.

It is the weather, especially with the ecu compensation in place. North of 75 degrees I would estimate almost a 10whp deduction for every 10 degrees. This leads me to believe you picked up somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-7whp. This amount would be even less if just removing the 2nd cat with the same piece.

When I switched from a completely gutted stocker to the 3" MR DP my butt dyno said I had loss $180 and gained some noise. :mad: This was long before even I was actively tuning so thats all I have to go by.

It is the weather, especially with the ecu compensation in place. North of 75 degrees I would estimate almost a 10whp deduction for every 10 degrees. This leads me to believe you picked up somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-7whp. This amount would be even less if just removing the 2nd cat with the same piece.

When I switched from a completely gutted stocker to the 3" MR DP my butt dyno said I had loss $180 and gained some noise. :mad: This was long before even I was actively tuning so thats all I have to go by.

Are you saying you lost power with the MR DP or that you thought you did but it was actually the higher temps ???

Okay, I just installed my Invidia DP today and on the way home, got on the throttle hard in the higher gears. Car hit cutoff and choked. CEL and cruise light came on. I limped the rest of the way home just to be safe, trying to stay out of boost as much as possible. My boost gauge showed that the car was overboosting, way into the 20s. And not just a spike, but actually holding steadily and rising. I also had a tinkering sound coming from somewhere in the exhaust.

I went home and pulled the code. P0244 Wastegate Solenoid.

Yep, you guessed it. It's probably the divorce hitting the WG door. Going back to the shop tomorrow and having them grind it down, ARGH!

And in case anyone's wondering, this Invidia was VERY RECENTLY (within the last 3 months) purchased from FredBeansParts (great guys) and it looks like Invidia still hasn't fixed the issue with the divorcing in the mouth hitting the wastegate door. I'm going to email them about this.

Yeah, I said I was hearing a tinkering noise from the exhaust. ;) Also, the BPV seems to be working extra duty because I hear whistling/hissing a LOT. I'm sure this will all go away once I grind down the plate.

Using a Cobb Stg2 91 oct canned map. Going to keep on it for a while, datalog, bump it up to the 93 octane map, datalog again, and then get it ProTuned on a dyno.

Also, when I pull the DP, I'm going to take some pictures of the mouth to show how much the divider protrudes, because I remember seeing pictures, and I thought mine was going to be okay. Mine was not sticking out that much at all!

There must be a lot of variation either in the DP's or in the wastegate valve -- I had no problems with my Invidia DP install. It has the visibly shorter partition in the bellmouth. I've been tuning with Infamous1 with no problems or anything unusual. I used a new OEM Subaru Gasket (not the one that came with the pipe)

I just pulled the DP off on labor day weekend to install the Invidia UP and my Perrin ELH. There was no visible signs of interference on the divorce partition. Everything was smooth and sooty.

I purchased my DP/UP combo as part of a group buy. Maybe Fred Beans had old stock?

Matt

pulled it off today, and yep, it was definitely hitting. first picture shows the slight score on the divorce plate. second picture shows you how much the divorce plate actually extends into the turbo housing. this appears to be the "short" one, so it's very strange that it would still be hitting. we ended up grinding about 1/16" deep of material about 1/4" around the 'score' that you see in the picture.

after fixing that and my muffler leak (hehe, see third picture. seems SPT forgot to finish welding the flange, oops!), i took the car for a spin. no more overboost.

1263096604_IMG_0368(Large).thumb.JPG.c1df32530f1685b886ee6a8cbb15f608.JPG

1067230758_IMG_0369(Large).thumb.JPG.6974e5ca89a45a6e8b1a83052da45735.JPG

2119877136_IMG_0372(Large).thumb.JPG.01eb6f7b9560348c998a12fb4ecdb17b.JPG

Archived