LegacyGT.com

what intake you running and opinion

Bigkahuna808

I know there is a write up on all the exhuast I think TDC did it. Almost every single intake you will need to get tuned for. Of course there is people that havent and have not had any major problems with their cars. But to be optimal you should get tuned. Also what are your plans with the car? Dealer warranty friendly, full I dont care about my warranty I am going to mod as soon as I can (like me), mild Cobb stage 2 with a custom TDC tune? If you plan on going with a FMIC anytime you need to make sure the intake is going to fit with the new piping. These are the things you should look at before buying any setup. If you can answer those questions to yourself then I would come back and break it down to 2 maybe 3 intakes. There is a good handful out there. Perrin, K&N typhoon, SPT (which I have one for cheap for sale), AVO, COBB, AEM. I know I am probably missing one or two and I am not even going to go into panel filters. Only one I know for a fact that is dealership service department friendly is a SPT hence it being a Subaru Performance part. It is probably one of the hardest to tune as it has been recorded earlier. I happened to come across the one I bought for pretty cheap new so I said eh what the hell I missed the intake suctioning sound. I came from a heavily modified WRX so what can I say. There is alot of room out there for your very broad question. Like I said answer some of those questions and then do a comparison thread.

Now for my personal experience with the SPT intake it has a nice sound. I would say it is about a hair slightly quieter then a COBB I had on my WRX. I didnt get tuned and I only had it on the car for about 500 miles. Jon at TDC said it is hard to tune for because of the MAF location on the intake. I am selling due to me going with a FMIC and I picked up a K&N intake with the whole setup. If you are interested after doing some reading on the SPT intake I have one with 500 miles I am selling for dirt cheap.

What intake are you running on you Legacy? AEM cold air intake

What do you think of it any gains, do you like the sound? I think it's cool but the fitment of the heatshield could be a little bit better. As for gains TDC didn't dyno my car with the K&N drop in filter I previous had before it so I can't say. I do like the sound but there are times when I wish it was completely silent (although not many).

Was it worth the price, would you recommend it to other members? I would think it should priced more towards $190-200 rather than $240 but that's just the way it goes. As for recommending it, I guess?? Outside the K&N drop in this is the only intake I've ever had for this car so I can't really give strong reasons to buy this over something like the AVO or K&N Typhoon.

Your 2 cents is greatly apprecicated! Sure! *tosses 2 pennies*

hopefully cobb will release somthing soon. I like thier products. For now I am lost at what direction to go in. I might just go with a drop in filter for now, looking at blitz. Ive heard bad things about Perrin. Im going to save money up for the tune!

K&N here, good construction, perfect fitament, heat shield that actually shields. Pretty loud, but the woosh pish still makes me giddy. Had it for about 15K now, never thrown a CEL. K&N claims like a 13hp gain on their website, but who knows. I bought it to compliment a cat-back set up.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I called Cobb today and they have a soon pending realease of the intake for the Legacy. The person I was speaking with said they were designing the intake to work without the tune from them. He said should be under $200 and avaiable in the comming weeks.

I shall watch the website for the release and wait like a little kid at Xmas!

Well i think COBB has gotten better with their release dates now but in the past they said they would release something within a month and it use to take months or even a year. Good luck with that. But if you get that do some datalogging to check and see if it does make you run lean.

how much hp does the aem cai add to a standard stage 2? (up/dp/ap stg 2)

im thinking of getting one but not if it only adds a few ponies, i know it works great w/ a bigger turbo but i want to know if id be better off getting a drop in w/ my stock turbo at stage 2 levels?

this is my 2 cents on the different intakes when i searching i have always read intakes on a turbo suby motor will lean out unless you get it tuned. at least a panel filter will not lean it out as much so k&n or the blitz i didnt want to go k&n due to it being oil based filter since the oil can get sucked in and dirty the mass air flow sensor. also the blitz did not fit at the time but i heard they fixed it so i went with the blitz induction cover which i think is the best of both worlds its open just like a short ram but still a panel filter.

The Blitz induction cover is a nice looking piece. My only concern would be the lack of any shielding. That thing's sucking underhood heated air I would think.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

18 HP at the wheels relates to alot more at the crank. The HP to Weight ratio then becomes 12.6 to 1. Much better than 13.8 of the WRX but not close to the 10.45 to 1 of the STI. Just a simple calc can tell you what your times could be.

I would suggest you record some times then make the change for yourself. If it doesnt help then sell the part on ebay for what you purchased it for. I have yet to see a well established baseline for any of the vechicles on this site, lots of supposition but little true bases.

Or your certainly welcome to come on to MN and see for yourself if your interested.

Most Subbie fans use a Drop in K&N as this is what Cobb tuning recommends. The reason? Cobb has not seen any advantage in the OPEN or Cold air designs with the Access Port.

I used a Open and a Drop in K&N with a WRX wagon and the Access Port V1. The Open K&N according to a GTech Pro Competition was only a additional 4hp, at a cost difference of $175.00. The primary difference was the Noise, very noticable in the cabin of the vehicle. So with a Access Port dont spend the EXTRA cash on a Open, use that money for a up or down and/or exhaust.

The difference between the K&N drop in filter and the open Filter, without any other modification was almost 15HP at the wheels, so if that were going to be the only mod or the starting point for upgrading later, to me it would be worth it.

Remember if you disconnect your battery, as instructed to, your computer will reset and allow the new Filter to be programmed into your ECU. If you just install it and do not reset your computer, your vehicle will probably run lean when you first use it. Drive it normally for at least a few miles before GETTING on it so the computer has time to adapt to your new modifications.

Drastic modifications will be out of the standard computers realm and a ECU reprogramming should be performed by a technician that understands combustion engines. Or use the pieces recommended by a company that tests, such as cobb tuning.

I do realize that there are mucho companies that make open intakes for subarus. What I have not seen is any baselines from stock and results after. The only MFG that guarantees a increase in hp, or your money back is K&N, and its Carb Certified so no worries about Warranty for your vehicle and Emissions Certification.

The only way to understand what is happening after your modifications is to Dyno, use the New accessport, Use a GTech Pro, or any other device that can calculate speed runs. Even if the device is not not accurate as long as its consistant you can get a baseline and a new performance index. Remember, even if you produce 400HP, if its all at 5500rpm it will be difficult to use, especially on the street. If you dont set some base times by using a local drag strip or using some other type of device how will you ever know if its really faster or just more to brag about?

If cobb builds a intake to work with the stock maf would you think its a good buy. They said it would be a few weeks from now! I hope its everything I dream it would be. But a question Cobb seems to build intakes without heat sheilds, do you think this would be a problome? Or would have Cobb thought of this already

You can never tell, until you see a finished product. I had the Cobb CAI on my 01rs and was not too impressed with it. I switched to the AEM and loved the product. But Cobb definitely does their research and testing, so I am sure it will be a great product.

Archived