LegacyGT.com

intake silencer removal for 98 legacy.

I just removed my silencer out of my 98 legacy l wagon with the stock N/A ej22 and it was a pain in the ass getting it out :mad:. I had to completely take off the passenger side fender to unscrew this one little bolt; this little bolt took forever! After I got it undone I took this massive silencer out and put everything back together. I went and started the car... sounds pretty much the same, so I punch the gas and it went VVRROOOOOMM! Lol sounds badass from about 3000 rpm up, it really made my boxer seem like a muhammad ali. Althogh there was a pain in the ass factor I think it was worth it.

-carcand:D

P.S.- I know there was a write up on the intake silencer removal but that was for the 05 legacy gt, I figured i'd let the 98 model owners how it turned out.

You just gotta bend the shit out of it... kind of a pain, but easier then taking off the fender. Taking off the fender however was probably cleaner. either way, its out! Pretty sweet mod i think... Have anything else done to it? I have the 98 Gt sedan... it will be getting an exhaust very soon, next few days hopefully. Im probably going with magnaflow muffler, and custom 2.5 inch midpipe

Yeah it does sound pretty sweet. However i never ripped off the fender. I know the bolt you are talking about, i just peeled back the bottom side of the fender lining and pulled everything out through there.

Did you guys notice any actual performance difference? Or is just the aural improvement? I'm looking at getting the SPT performance muffler for my '98 GT. I understand that does give a few more HP.

The question is: If I do the performance muffler AND pull out the intake silencer, will it be too loud? I'm looking for the most performance gain for the least amount of noise gain.

Suggestions are welcome.

Tim

It probably only gives you about 4 extra horses it's mostly for deeper sound if you want horsepower get a cat-back, or header-back exhaust for the most power gain with a magnaflow hush muffler or equivalent.

Did you guys notice any actual performance difference? Or is just the aural improvement? I'm looking at getting the SPT performance muffler for my '98 GT. I understand that does give a few more HP.

The question is: If I do the performance muffler AND pull out the intake silencer, will it be too loud? I'm looking for the most performance gain for the least amount of noise gain.

Suggestions are welcome.

Tim

Man, i was going to do the 2.5 inch catback with magnaflow muffler. I got a quote yesterday for it, about 450 it would be. Shouldnt this job be under 300? If its going to cost THAT much, i may just keep stock exhaust...

It's almost $300 just for a muffler, at least from the dealer. Their price on an SPT muffler for '98 Legacy GT is $262. I don't know what they would charge for installation.

If you want to install it yourself, you can buy the muffler here for $199:

'96-'99 Sedan:

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=914

'96-'99 Wagon:

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=915

Tim

Archived