LegacyGT.com

Intake Silencer Removal

Pricci09

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i have a smooth air bellow from perrin and a drop in, and ive been to the dealer for a few issues and never had a problem. I didn't change anything with the sensors though, its just a replacement part for the factory bellow so i dont know what kind of issue it would ever cause

i removed mine silencer box, put it back in after about a week as it sounded too ricey for me!

Smart. And were you to investigate it you would find it works better with everything in place. There is more involved than sound ;). It is amazing what people willl sacrifice for "appearances."

Smart. And were you to investigate it you would find it works better with everything in place. There is more involved than sound ;). It is amazing what people willl sacrifice for "appearances."

please elaborate:confused:...I have a hard time believing removing the silencer would have a negative effect on the performance of the vehicle

i removed it to investigate if it did make any difference with it removed. it didn't have any positive or negative affects on the performance of my car apart from the louder induction noise which i didnt want, so i put it back in. What wrong with that? The was no sacrifice involved removing it. i didnt do it to make my car appear faster than it is.

no need for that unhelpful comment ;)

i removed it to investigate if it did make any difference with it removed. it didn't have any positive or negative affects on the performance of my car apart from the louder induction noise which i didnt want, so i put it back in. What wrong with that? The was no sacrifice involved removing it. i didnt do it to make my car appear faster than it is.

no need for that unhelpful comment ;)

I didn't realize some guys were so sensitive:lol:. I'll make it more clear so you can unwad your panties.

IF you remove any part of your intake system you affect performance to some degree. While the arguments for and against will never cease, the fact is there is some reasoning for Helmholtz resonators besides reduction of sound in specific frequency ranges. That was my point. In my opinion, putting it back to stock was......"smart."

Here is one, from the many, results of a quick search:

http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html

Keep in mind that our turbocharged engine is exactly like a normally aspirated engine UNTIL the turbo is called into action. That is, most of the time we operate as a NA engine.

My original post was meant to open the door to inquiry, and subsequent education, not to insult or fault.

please elaborate:confused:...I have a hard time believing removing the silencer would have a negative effect on the performance of the vehicle

A week after having mine off, my car started shaking violently at idle, never had encountered that problem before with the car. I put the silencer back on, haven't had another problem with it since then.

Also feels like some of the low-end torque disapears.

The only change I noticed was the sound. I did take it off with only 23 miles or so on the car though. If it's that big of a change, then someone should be able to capture the difference on a dyno or with datalogging. I may give the later a shot.

I didn't realize some guys were so sensitive:lol:. I'll make it more clear so you can unwad your panties.

IF you remove any part of your intake system you affect performance to some degree. While the arguments for and against will never cease, the fact is there is some reasoning for Helmholtz resonators besides reduction of sound in specific frequency ranges. That was my point. In my opinion, putting it back to stock was......"smart."

Here is one, from the many, results of a quick search:

http://www.planetsoarer.com/resonator/resonator.html

Keep in mind that our turbocharged engine is exactly like a normally aspirated engine UNTIL the turbo is called into action. That is, most of the time we operate as a NA engine.

My original post was meant to open the door to inquiry, and subsequent education, not to insult or fault.

interesting article. so resonators are good for when the turbo is not acting...the only thing i can think of that compares our cars to theirs, is that our car has an air box and a resonator. the example they showed was just an intake tube with a resonator attached to it. so even without the resonator our stock intake system already has the well of air that they talk about. our resonator probably adds to this well of air, and also reduces sound....

I put an AEM CAI on awhile ago and have noticed occasional tricky idle. this could be my explanation.

edit: looking at it again....it looks like the car they tested (dont know about the article they speak of) is also connected to an air box, then the resonator is on the tube. so i dont know what to think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Okay, so I took mine off (07 OBXT), hated the sound and put it back on. Trouble is, it's still hissing/whooshing! I removed the silencer again and put it back together, just to make sure that I wasn't missing anything, but I must be; it's still whooshing. Not as loudly as it was without the silencer, but it's bugging the crap out of me. Can someone tell me what to check?? Thanks!

Archived