LegacyGT.com

intake benefits question.

Ok... so I tried to chop up my factory intake to make a shortram. Messed that up. Ruined my mass air flow sensor... learned a 300$ lesson there. But now Im thinking of how to fix this up and still get a little throttle response out of it.

My new idea: basically this... I'm gonna remove everything other than the factory air box. I'm gonna run some flexible intake tubing (about 4-6inches) from the throttle body to some exhaust piping( substantially cheaper than shiney chrome intake tubing) that will be painted white. The exhaust tubing will either lead up to a cone filter or the factory air box. Depending on which one I use will decide where I put the MAF. Also will drill holed and use some rubber hose and hose clamps to extend the breather hoses that attach to the factory intake to the new tubing. Will drill the hole just small enough so that the hose will fit in there very snug and secure and so they do not leak air

If I use the factory air box... ill probably run one PVC pipe where the "snorkus" was with a few bends in it and have it end up behind the passenger fog light.

Questions at hand: will I see any benefit using factory airbox over a cone filter? Vice versa

Will I see any benefit from continuing on from factory airbox(if used) with the PVC pipe? Also a guy at advanced auto suggested to me that the breather tubes do not need to hook up to the intake but can sit freely. Suggested that the risk that they would not be 100% sealed is not worth it and it would be fine if the just sit unconnected..

Does anyone disagree with that?

Thanks for reading and any PRODUCTIVE replies will be appreciated. I understand that the benefits of this will not be substantial but I'm hoping it'll get me o e very small step closer to reaching my goal of owning a n/a 200hp ej25 legacy:) (yeah.... lost of other mods to follow this up lol)

less intake sound noise w/ the factory airbox

going with an intake moves the power band to the right, which means you lose torque but make hp, especially since you removed the torque box

dont trust those dudes at autozone majority knows nothing, those 'breather' tubes created a vacuum and in some cases prevents oil sitting in areas which can create engine damage from too much oil

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Ok I figured he was just talking out of his a**hole. So do you think i would gain any throttle response out of this? And what do you think about my PVC extension from the air box to where the snorkus would generally be

as long as you have those hoses connected you should be fine, best to have then not to

technically you would lose throttle response and low end torque but gain some passing power, how much you would notice i dont know

Ok.. well while I'm working on my car and I'm there I.was considering doing a 5 point grounding kit to the top.of the struts, "dog bone", radiator?, and the block? What do you think about that... ill be using 8-10 gauged wire

grounding kit, some say it works same say it does not. I do not have experience with it so I cant say anything about it

dog bone? I'm guessing pitch mount, is the bushings weak/messed up, if yes then go ahead, if no then dont waste the money

if your car overheating? if not then you do not need a radiator. in fact the engine needs 'heat' to get best performance, cooler engine does not mean better performer

what do you mean 'and the block' whats your plans?

I see what you mean now:lol:

I dont see it being beneficial just a waste of money. to get the best connection you want metal on metal contact, which will require removing the paint - which can lead to rust in those areas. yes it would work when you put it over the paint but still...

subaru did a good job designing the car and it works well

get a lightweight crank pulley and the engine would rev a bit faster. if you have a MT get a lightweight flywheel instead

I'd do have an mt and I was thinking about looking.into that! Ill pet do.the ground kit. Intake. And lightweight fly wheel. Looking into getting 2.2 heads, cams, and a fuel pump with performance plugs and wires in the future as well

That threadbis very similar to what I'm considering but not quite lol. But what kind of gains are you getting from your ground kit? I believe its exactly what I'm proposing right? Cause I.think.I.was looking at that.. figure Ill just buy a roll of 10 gauge wire and use x tips(Idk for sure what kind of tips to.get?) But gains I have read about is more throttle response, smoother idle, 2mpg, and 5hp?(I find the HP gain hard to believe)

Mine is a 5mt:) I wouldn't have done it if it was an auto lol. But yes I've seen that sticky on nasioc... but the difference between mine and his is he used a pre made tube. I have to Fab up my own tube. So I'm looking for suggestions as to how I should run the breather hoses to the intake

Buying a new tube won't fix the issue. My wife's car does it with a flange bolted to the maf. Everything else is stock. Her air box and "snorkus" were crushed in a fender bender.

IF you decide to eliminate your air box, don't chop the maf.

Archived