LegacyGT.com

Instrument cluster lighting

I've seen the topic discussed before but I thought I'd start a fresh thread. My recently acquired Legacy has pretty dim dash lighting (I'm guessing it was brighter at some point in time, but it's noticeably dimmer that the other non- Subies in my fleet).

First, I was wondering if anyone has good directions (or any published DIY's)for removing the instrument cluster to get the bulbs. If it's anything like my '88 Nissan truck (a cluster I've swapped out and had out numerous times) you remove a few screws, disconnect a couple wiring harnesses, and I'm wondering does anything need to be done to disconnect the speedometer cable (the one in my truck is stationary- you just pull the cluster out and the cable stays in place). Just curious about how hard or easy it is to remove the legacy's instrument cluster...

Also, why size bulbs are used? Also, I'm guessing LED bulbs are preferable to OEM because they are brighter, last longer, etc... I just wasn't sure of the bulb type, quantity needed (for just the instrument backlighting) etc...

I see various bulbs on Ebay and want to make sure they'll fit and easily interchange- for example these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280959415877?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Also looking for any input on how various colors of bulbs look (what have been peoples preferences, etc...)

Removal of the cluster is fairly straightforward.

Remove the black shroud surrounding it.

Remove the 4 screws holding the cluster, pull and maneuver the cluster out enough to unplug the harnesses. There is no speedometer cable.

Tilt wheel all the way down. Carefully remove the cluster. It's a tight fit.

Dis-assembly of the cluster is easy. Each gauge is a separate gauge.

The back face of the gauges have 2 layers of coatings on the back. 1 layer is a black dot matrix which evens out the light dispersion. The second layer is a green filter. If you want to change the color you must remove both coating layers, (the green layer is beneath the dot matrix). Sandpaper worked for me. The downside is that you will have uneven lighting hot spots after removal of the dot matrix.

I have gone the LED bulb replacement route but changed to something else later on. Here is a link but it took more effort. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cold-cathode-tubes-cluster-198512.html?t=198512&highlight=cathode

Make an effort to get LEDs with matching color temperature. I forget what sizes they were but they came from Superbright LEDs.

I'm not sure if they are available for dash lights, They are called Cree LEDs., but I'd be interested to see how they work out.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Thank you. I read through your write-up. Do you recommended removing the dot matrix and green coatings if if not changing the color using LED's? (I don't mind the green and it ould still match my just replaced climate control lights).

The LED rings you used look great- can you advise the specs for each and where you got them from?

Before disassembling the cluster, Take a picture of the gas gauge so you can rotate the needle to the same position when you are done. It sometimes gets nudged while working on it.

If your not changing the color and are just replacing the bulbs with LEDs then no coating removal will be required. Before you go get some white LEDs to place behind a green filter you must understand that the output from the front of the gauge face will be very small. The majority of the white LEDs wavelength will be absorbed by the green filter, leaving you right where you started with-dim gauge faces. You would have to get LEDs with a green emitter.

I got the LED rings through eBay from a China vendor called totalmarts. The small is 40mm and the large is 90mm. They are dimmable. This vendor sells both sizes in green as well. I chose white because my climate controls are also white. Search for "LED rings" or search for "led angel eyes" (of the appropriate diameter)

Here is what I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-40mm-WHITE-12-Leds-SMD-Angel-Eyes-Car-Head-Light-Halo-Rings-193-/170863035451?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c83b043b&vxp=mtr

These is the larger ones: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-90mm-WHITE-24-Leds-SMD-Angel-Eyes-Car-Head-Light-Halo-Rings-166-/170862503525?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c832e665

If you use the LED rings than it is required to remove at least the top layer dot matrix for even light dispersion. You could try to leave the green layer intact but I imagine it would be very difficult to do and have it look right.

Zeus Marine overcame this by removing both layers and used a felt pen to add his color to the numerals, I think he chose red.

If you decide to remove the rear coatings be gentle with the handling of the needles. Don't try to remove them, they're too fragile. I used fine wet/dry sandpaper mounted on a paint stirrer for easier access. You only have to remove what's behind the numbers, not the entire back face.

For the bulb #s, here is a link to superbrightled car bulb finder for your 98. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/vehicle/1998-subaru-legacy--/59-675--/

Speaking only for myself, I was disappointed with them. I ordered cool white for all bulbs but received 2 different color temperatures. 1 began flickering after a year unless the dimmer was at half way. The gauges were unevenly lit as far as intensity. I'm not going to recommend the bulbs, (the bulbs-not the company) that I initially ordered because my choices didn't work out so well.

I'm sure someone on this forum can lead you to the best LED bulb option.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Thank you- very helpful. When looking at the bulb finder, they list both the #74 narrow wedge base and the # 158 wide base bulbs for our cars- which size do they take, or do they take both? About how many would I need?

I had thought about these green ones from Ebay for mine as a set would only be around $18 (not a big investment if I didn't like them)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Subaru-Green-BRIGHT-12V-LED-Wedge-Instrument-Panel-Light-Bulb-Lamp-37-70-NOS-/271053925496?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1998%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALegacy&hash=item3f1c12ac78&vxp=mtr

you need 4 of these

you need 2 of these

and you need 3 of these

this will take care of both your instrument cluster lighting, as well as the HVAC bulbs-that you may not realize are already burned out.

which are the neoX x 3 bulbs for?

the direct link you had were for red neoX bulbs, with the 3mm option checked

when i tried to do blue it does not seem to be an option.

they're currently out of blue 194s or whatever number, and it says out of stock, whereas the neoXs are just no option for blue,

im wondering what these bulbs are used for

thanks zeus

I was thinking the 3 3mm bulbs were for the climate control unit lighting. I just replaced mine with the OEM Subaru bulbs last week, and since I want to keep my lighting green (just upgrading from the dim original bulbs to LED) I wouldn't do those over for now. For me, they are out of stock on the green #74 bulbs.

thats what im thinking.

ive seen it done, and ill try to find some pics. but pretty much you're just relocating the hvac. i dont do AC so just heater stuff for me.

very curious into having a 3 gauge pod in the space above cup holders where hvac usually is.

plus,

my hvac is totally caked with coffee drips

hate the placement

http://photos.phpwerx.net/cars/Subaru/legacy-misc-gen2/800x600/DSCN1145.jpg

bam.

so sl-i had a write up a user bakergt had it done with his car.

apparently its just lenthening the wiring harness a bit

and moving one of those heater door rods around

doing it.

I thinking the stereo there would look waaaay better than two gauges...

• 1 month later...

so i did a full blue led interior swap.

and now the cluster looks about 3 different shades of blue.

ive read somewhere that it can be expected?

is it either the green film is different thicknesses to aid in light distribution stock?

or, are the bulbs wired on the same circuit and recieving different currents and lighting up different shades of blue b/c led?

how to get even color across the instrument cluster?

:spin:

• 2 months later...
I received my Superbright LED's and put them in tonight. Interesting that the old bulbs were blue tinted but produced a green-yellow tint to the lights. I bought green LED's (intending to keep the green, but just brighter since the old ones you can just barely see on the brightest setting). Now the lighting is a much deeper green and just a little brighter. A little disappointed but it is kind of cool and alien-like, so it will probably grow on me.

Bad place for a cupholder- out in front of the heater controls and above the radio and in the way of both. I would have thought the mistakes of the 1st gen legacy would have been corrected with the 2nd generation, but I guess it had to wait another generation.

I received my Superbright LED's and put them in tonight. Interesting that the old bulbs were blue tinted but produced a green-yellow tint to the lights. I bought green LED's (intending to keep the green, but just brighter since the old ones you can just barely see on the brightest setting). Now the lighting is a much deeper green and just a little brighter. A little disappointed but it is kind of cool and alien-like, so it will probably grow on me.

I like how it turned out. I may do the same but maybe leave a few stock lights in so its not as eerie

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
Just want to update this thread a little bit. I recently bought a 95 Legacy LSi wagon and had a few bulbs that seemed either dim or not working, so I bought the 6 that I would need to update the cluster. The problem I noticed this morning is that the 2 little ones near the middle after about 20 minutes of driving started to flicker on and off occasionally. I pulled it apart at lunch and tried to clean the contacts and see if it might make a difference. Those little connectors seem to have gotten hot with the old bulbs and are burned a little but the circuit looks sound and the LED's fit very snugly and seem to be making excellent contact. When I locked them back in and turned on the dash the lit up immediately and stayed on. I guess we'll see how it goes. If it keeps flickering once they warm up, then I will be looking to replace the little plastic knobs that the bulbs sit in. Any other thoughts? Dash is SO much brighter and just glows green now. It's a great little run around car, even at 197K.

• 3 years later...
Hello everyone I tried to change my lights on back of the cluster but when I took it out the Pana have a plastic pisec of back with no outlets to change lights so I took it off and got to the motherboard and some white round plastic things were were the lights would be and idk how to change them if I even can or do I need an aftermarket 1 if u search on ebay my 06 cluster u can see the bac of what I mean

Archived