LegacyGT.com

Installed Perrin Short Ram Intake!!!

carman493

Sounds great, can definately feel it pull harder in the upper rpms, and my mpg has increased by 1 on the highway. Which is pretty significant if you think about it. You can hear the turbo spool up and on full boost as well as hear the bypass valve. In fast, when you are on it, I thought something was disconnected at first because of how much louder it is that stock. I absolutely reccomed this product.

Here are some tips on install:

Directions say there are 3 12mm bolts holding the intake on, there are actually 3 10mm bolts, also the silicon tube that connects to the plastic turbo inlet pipe has a lip on it that makes it difficult to get the silicon tubo over, leave the lip and do not shave it off. I used to flat head screwdrivers to make the silicon go over the lip. It would be easier with two people if you have that option, I did not. Also, I would remove all hardware that held the factory intake on, its not necesary. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Mike (who is very happy now that his car makes some noises:) )

Does not sound like a train, but is a little louder, but the engine noise is no where near obnoxious like that train sound you are thinking. I ordered it on Perrin's site for under $200. Did not lose ANY low or mid range power, just picked up some in the high end, maybe middle too, but to be honest if there were any losses or gains in the low or mid range power, it must be so minimal that its virtually unnoticeable.

The unit is worth the price alone in my book for the removal of all that intake crap along with the great sounds and slight power increase in the upper rpm. I think its one of the greatest upgrades for the price. It looks great, sounds great and makes improvments in power and mpg.

As far as the vid goes, ill try to get one on here soon, i have a digi cam with everything to make the vid, but we just moved into another house and my computer isnt set up there, im doing all this posting from work.

Just so you know I got the Black in color intake with the red filter, I guess you dont have a choice of color on the filter.

I hear Bill Kolb is going to offer the same intake, but painted a different color.

LOL, I hope that was a joke. In anycase, I don't think they would do that since it isn't a OEM type of fit. There really isn't much that holds it onto the car. If I were Bill Kolb and wanted to offer an intake I would either use that intake and add a bracket, or look for a similar performing one with more bracing. There isnt anything wrong with the Perrin one, but it could be slightly better. I am more than satisfied with the one I got.

You can reuse that air scoop, which is what i did. They say you can if you want to, I thought it made sense to use that air scoop duct with the perrin unit since it dumps outside air right into the front of the filter.

Hell, I just took my Perrin intake off, the noise was kinda cool, but it was loud and took away from why I bought the vehicle. Since they say that you can get like 400hp from the stock airbox, I said screw it and put the stock box back in. I actually swapped the two intakes back and forth twice testing it out to see the power difference. It seemed so nominal with the Accessport tune, and so much louder with higher levels of boost getting blown off, I thought the stock airbox was the best bet. It is hardly noticable and now I remember why I liked the car so much in the first place.

Blitz has a Air Induction Kit http://www.blitz-na.com/main.htm

Blitz recommends combining their Carbon Induction Kit with their Sonic Power "Velocity Stack" Intake System. Sounds reasonable until you get to the combo price - just a mere $1,380.00 for this little go-fast bit.

I'm with Hodgee, stock box all the way - perhaps add the Perrin silicone intake pipes but that's going to be it on the intake side of things.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Info on the stock airbox was by Cobb, and ESX. They said that the stock airbox on a wrx supports that much power, and ours are supposed to be a little bit better. Well driving around for about a week with the stock airbox on, and I cannot tell a performance difference!

I like the Perrin because I like the noise, I mean I like quiet, but not as much as a love loud, if you know what i mean. Also I definately noticed the difference in power in the higher rpms on a stock car, along with the improved gas milage, my avg went up from around 20-21 to between 22-23. I do a lot of highway, but i can give it some gas since I do a lot of spirited driving. And for a $180 you cant beat it.

I know you all have been, saying this makes I loud, but how loud compared to the sound of the car with the intake silencer removed. I notice, a little noise from the silencer removal and I like the sound, but its hard to hear over the sound of my Borla Catbacks. Do you think this will make the spool and stock BOV louder than it is with the intake silencer removal? I ordered this product and I want it reguardless, just wondering.

-Nick Saglibene

I know you all have been, saying this makes I loud, but how loud compared to the sound of the car with the intake silencer removed. I notice, a little noise from the silencer removal and I like the sound, but its hard to hear over the sound of my Borla Catbacks. Do you think this will make the spool and stock BOV louder than it is with the intake silencer removal? I ordered this product and I want it reguardless, just wondering.

-Nick Saglibene

I had borrowed an intake from a friend for my Rx-8 (was on his but he took it off) to try. I pulled that sucker off quick....too too loud. Friggin annoying loud. I almost wanted to put dual fart cans on just to drone out the sound.

Keep in mind that manufacturer's put alot of time into developing the intake. Probably moreso than the aftermarket. OEM intakes today are very well designed and alot use VFAD or helmhotz resonant tuning (moreso on N/A cars). I would say the only reason I'd personally redo the intake is if I was forced to....ala FMIC.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Archived