LegacyGT.com

installed the Aeromotive 340 fuel pump today

Install was a snap, follow the Walbro instructions... no noise and seems good so far..

FYI, the filter that comes with it faces the wrong direction, you could probably use the stocker if you figure out how to take it off... Luckily I had the fuel filter from my dead AVO pump that I used... the outlet on the Aeromotive was just a hair smaller, but it worked...

• 4 months later...

Did you have any trouble getting the bucket back on after installing the pump.

We did on mine but maybe I didn't trim the hole enough for the aeromotive to fit down in far enough.

Let me know hows yours went

Thanks

Mine was a previous AVO pump as well. I just don't remember trimming it more when I put the Aeromotive pump in. I probably did as NSFW said its about 1 inch longer.

I used a stock 2010-2011 STI sock Cobb had, as the sock from my AVO pump was getting sticky from I think running E85.

I just recently purchased a DW 65C SOCK that fits good on the Aeromotive pump and its E85 compatable.

Im taking the pump back out later this week to have Aeromotive check it and the FPR. I live about 30 min from them.

Mine will not hold fuel pressure after pump prime or when car shuts off. It goes straight to zero immediately. It used to hold the pressure for a good 30 min to hour and slowly taper off before.

I am planning on revisiting the fitment, and I just bought an untouched used 08 legacy bucket in case I need to retrimm etc.

I definitely didn't trim the bottom of the bucket, it is a tight fit. I assume you have the right o-ring and all? I put a piece of fuel line in front of the o-ring to hold it firm vs the factory slider. Dropping to zero sounds like the orientation is tweaked.

Let me know I've the fuel line thing doesn't make sense and I'll find you a pic.

I meant trim the standoffs like you do for the AVO pump, where you slide it in not the bucket.

Mine has been in and fine for 6-7 months and just all of a sudden it quit holding fuel pressure, hard to start.

I think it is the FPR but checking the pump anyway.

I was just wanting to get a bit more input on how your guys bucket fit over the pump.

If you guys are using the AVO sock keep and eye on it if you are running E85.

Mine was really sticky feeling when I took my AVO out, like it was breaking down.

I installed one of these on my wrx without too much trouble. Everything fit fine with some adjusting of the sock and trimming of the hose. I had gotten a universal connector that I had to sauter and shrinkwrap myself, but after all was said and done it worked just as it was supposed to. I have pictures if needed, but its fit in the hangar was snug.

• 1 month later...

Well I removed my Aeromotive pump out of the bucket today and found that the check valve in the Aeromotive pump is sticking.

I could blow through the outlet and air would pass right through the pump.

That must be the reason my car was not holding pressure anymore at key off, or after priming.

When the pump was off it was just draining back through the outlet.

The schrader valve looking thing on the outlet of the pump was sticking out, so I tapped on it a bit and it went in.

As soon as I did this the the check valve closed and I could no longer blow through it.

After shaking it a bit now I can now blow through it again. Must have something wrong in there.

Im not sure what caused this but if you get one that is not holding fuel pressure for a while pull the pump and check this.

Taking the pump back to Aeromotive tomorrow for hopefully a warranty replacement.

I originally installed it in Nov 2011.

I also discovered that I had not retrimmed the bucket enough for the pump to seat further down in the housing.

Im going to redo the whole thing tomorrow and hopefully Ill be back in business.

I guess I got in too much of a rush in Cobbs parking lot back in November that I failed to trim the housing more. :redface:

Live and learn. At least I didn't do something to damage the motor.

Big sigh of relief! :redface:

I re-trimmed the pump holder today as well and it is still pretty hard to get the bucket closed.

When it does clip shut the bottom of the bucket is bulged a bit. So its tight.

I have tried to get it in there further but I think whats causing it is the sock.

I am using a new sock from DW. Their sock is E85 compatable, fits on the Aeromotive pump really good and snug.

My AVO sock was really sticky feeling like maybe the E85 was affecting it, so I didnt want to use it.

I had to set it on the ground and push pretty hard to get it to clip.

Ive checked the pump seating multiple times and I think it is in there as far as possible.

Sounds like you may still need more trimming. When I did mine, I had to touch up the top of the fuel pump with the Dremel to get to fit all the way. I'm using the sock provided by Aeromotive and it fits perfectly. By the time I got everything put back together, the Aeromotive pump stuck out about 1/16"-1/8" further than the stock one did from the bottom of the fuel filter housing. I had no issues clipping the bucket back shut on mine and the clearance looked perfect. These are the instructions I followed.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/223636-aeromotive-stealth-340-lph-direct-drop.html

This was the key:

"When you place the Aeromotive into the assembly, use the fuel outlet nipple (the long one), to gauge how it is seated. It should be almost flush with the assembly, bottomed out, so you can barely see it anymore. It should be flush with this:"

I found it would fit the best when the circled portion was touching the top of the pump. Like I said, I had to do some Dremeling on the pump top itself to get it to do this.

http://synsmash.net/gallery/var/albums/IMG_20110816_014234-scaled.jpg?m=1313578347

Thats the instructions I was following as well.

So you dremled on the top of the fuel pump?

Mine seems to be bottoming out on the area circled above.

I dont see how you used the Aeromotive sock. The guy in the thread you posted didnt use it either and neither did the OP.

It sticks out the side too far for the bucket to go on.

I trimmed a bit on the tabs around the nozzle hole as well, I wish I would have taken photos of it.

I think they must have recently changed their design. My filter came with a sock that looks like this one. It fit perfectly in the housing.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/11142-kit.jpg

I trimmed between the fuel outlet on the two power lugs. I trimmed everything inside the circle, except for the outlet. When I was complete, there was a little bit of metal showing for the power lugs, but still plenty to keep them from popping out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125051&stc=1&d=1344201985

Aeromotive.jpg.b3987f24968e6223d1218404651e7602.jpg

Its seems that my problem is the two dimples on the Aeromotive pump in this picture. It is keeping the pump from going all the way down.

The two knubs bottom out on the edge of the nozzle hole in your picture above.

http://synsmash.net/gallery/var/albums/DSC_0742.jpg?m=1313577752

I saw in the Walboro install it has these dimples as well and they had to be ground off.

It doesnt say that in the above Aeromotive 340 Install link.

Did you guys have to grind those off the pump?

Oh OK I see you beat me to the post, and that answered my question.

On the AVO pump and the stocker you didnt have those dimples, and that was what was throwing me off.

Ill get my new pump tomorrow and do what you said above.

Thanks

I trimmed a bit on the tabs around the nozzle hole as well, I wish I would have taken photos of it.

I think they must have recently changed their design. My filter came with a sock that looks like this one. It fit perfectly in the housing.

http://aeromotiveinc.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/11142-kit.jpg

I trimmed between the fuel outlet on the two power lugs. I trimmed everything inside the circle, except for the outlet. When I was complete, there was a little bit of metal showing for the power lugs, but still plenty to keep them from popping out.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=125051&stc=1&d=1344201985

Did you use the factory O ring and plastic O ring spacer on the nozzle or did you use a piece of the supplied hose?

I used the factory o-ring and a piece of hose to hold it up. It fit perfectly.

I will caution you on grinding the "dimples". Grind only the area inside the circles I drew. If you grind the plastic completely all around the dimples, it will pop out the guts of the pump. There is a thread on this somewhere. Let me find it... I also ground the housing of nozzle hole (as you call it) It is a tight fit, but it will work. Again, don't grind too much on the nozzle hole sidewalls and make the sidewalls weak.

Archived