LegacyGT.com

Installation Results; JDM Bilstein Spec-B Struts & STi Pinks

Opie

This morning I set out to install the JDM Bilstein Spec-B Struts and appropriate STi Pink Springs into my Legacy GT Sedan, here is what I learned... [U][B]Front Struts:[/B][/U] The front JDM Bilsteins [b]WILL[/b] require a new upper strut mount to be installed in the USDM cars, the USDM front upper strut mount [b]WILL NOT WORK[/b] with the Bilstein struts. I would assume the best bet would be to source the actual upper strut mount the JDM Spec-B uses. Without it...you won't be installing these struts... :( Basically there is a spacer built on to the top to accomodate the bearing size in the upper strut mount, USDM uses a different size than the JDM, See below: [IMG]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/SpecB.JPG[/IMG] The parts you [B]WILL[/B] be able to use off the USDM front struts are: the dust boot, the upper spring cushion, the upper perch and the nut to hold it all together. You [b]WILL NOT[/b] be able to use the USDM bump stop...but that's OK, inverted struts (like the Bilstein's) don't use one. [i]Due to these issue I was not able to install the front struts today and will now attempt to source the parts I need before attempting the install again.[/i] [U][B]Rear Shocks:[/B][/U] Good news! The rear JDM Bilstein shocks are identical to the USDM versions, the dust boot, rubber cushion and top mount can all be used without any issues. [i]Due to the issues with the front struts I did not leave the rear shocks installed, they were just test fitted. They will be reinstalled as soon as I get the front strut issue sorted.[/i] [U][B]STi Pink Springs:[/B][/U] As Racecomp has already told us, these springs fit perfectly with the USDM setup, since I had the suspension apart anyway, I went ahead and installed the springs on the OEM-USDM struts. [b][i]The look:[/b][/i] The car looks fantastic with these installed! [B]Before:[/B] [IMG]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/Photos/Legtint-2.JPG[/IMG] [B]After:[/B] [IMG]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/Photos/Legtint2.JPG[/IMG] [B]Before:[/B] [IMG]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/Photos/Legtint-1.JPG[/IMG] [B]After:[/B] [IMG]http://www.subaruchallenge.com/Wills/Photos/Legtint1.JPG[/IMG] The STi springs claim to lower the JDM 2.0GT about 15mm front & rear, that equals about 1/2" inch. The USDM 2.5GT gets right around the same at slightly more than 1/2" inch front and rear. It sits very level. [b][i]The ride and handling:[/b][/i] I installed these at Mastro Subaru so I got to take a 30 mile ride home on several different types of roads on the way home to give them a pretty good evaluation. The car still rides exceptionalbly well. The struts are ever so slightly underdamped for the springs but it is very, very minor. Most drivers would never notice. The car is still quiet and very well mannered on city streets and at speed on the interstate. Acceleration from a stop feels much, much better as the rear end does not have the "sagging" feeling anymore on hard acceleration it pretty much stays flat. That being said, on spirited romps through curves the car feels much more nimble, turn-in has improved and there is a bit less lean on sweepers. The car feels much more planted and stable than it was before and has lost the "floaty" feel at highway speeds all while maintaining it's comfort. The car feels much closer to what I thought it should feel like from the factory. It's actually quite good now and will probably be very close to perfect when the Bilstein struts get installed. I haven't told the wife what I was doing yet (She has no idea I've modified the suspension at all) so I'll see if she makes any comments the next time she rides in it and let you all know. :D Now to see if Paul at AVO can get me those strut mounts I need.... ;)

Thanks for doing it right, Opie. Same spot, before and after. The drop is barely perceptible from the pictures. Nice work, and keep us all posted. Bummer about the JDM Bilsteins, but you'll get that all sorted. Kevin

[size=2]Good job Opie. I disagree on the drop...it is obvious. It is as low as I would want to go to maintain practicality. I have an appointment next Thursday to get my STi wagon springs installed. All I need to do now is decide on my alignment specs. [/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]Tom[/size]

[quote name='SC GT']Bummer about the USDM strut mounts. Glad you're happy with the STi pinks.[/QUOTE] Not to worry! :D I have the part number of the upper mounts I need and I've already sent an e-mail to Paul at AVO to see if they can be sourced!

[quote name='racerdave']How sensitive is she to that stuff normally?[/QUOTE] Normally very sensitive to picking up on mods I've done...I'm [b]very[/b] surprised she hadn't noticed the lower stance. ...matter of fact a few days after installing my Prodrive battery hold-down she walked out the garage door as I was checking my oil out in the driveway. She immeadiatly said "What's that?" pointing to the hold-down "When were you going to tell me about that?" she says. :lol: How did she see it from inside the garage? :lol:

[quote name='Opie']Normally very sensitive to picking up on mods I've done...I'm [b]very[/b] surprised she hadn't noticed the lower stance. ...matter of fact a few days after installing my Prodrive battery hold-down she walked out the garage door as I was checking my oil out in the driveway. She immeadiatly said "What's that?" pointing to the hold-down "When were you going to tell me about that?" she says. :lol: How did she see it from inside the garage? :lol:[/QUOTE] *bling* is easy to spot. ;)

• 9 months later...
  • 10 years later...

Archived